Syndicated News for the 2022-23 TV Season

H-Town TV Fan

34 minutes ago, bpatrick said:

On that same note I wonder if WXIA will add a 4 PM newscast; it's the only one of the Big Four affiliates in Atlanta that does not have one now.

Same for WSOC in Charlotte. Their 4pm Dr. Phil airing will no longer be needed with WAXN airing what is now the previous day’s episode at 10am. That can become the “main” episode. 

Edited by Nelson R.
  • Sad 1

On 2/1/2023 at 11:52 PM, Superdude said:

Also, the same station that chose to air  kelly clarkson at 3am in favor of Right This Minute at 1pm.

Another oddity with WPXI: They swapped Wheel and Jeopardy! back in July, but starting in September, Jeopardy! moved back to 7:00 on Saturdays only, and the Saturday run of Wheel got relegated to 4:30 AM Saturday morning. At first, this was done to accommodate local program "The Jerome Bettis Show" and NBC's package of Notre Dame Football games which start at 7:30. Now that NFL season's come and gone, Jeopardy! is still airing at 7:00 on Saturdays and 7:30 is now random specials or infomercials, with Wheel still airing at 4:30 AM. 

• Confused 2

I think WWMT will air 4PM newcast/lifestyle program A.K.A. pay for play come the fall since they haven't ever had a lifestyle show they have a couch when they got a new set in 2020. I don't think I have seen any of the anchors use the couch. Maybe they put Tamron Hall in the afternoons if they don't want to do news. Dr. Phil repeats will air on sister station CW7 which they already do.

On 2/3/2023 at 8:26 PM, WheelWarrior said:

Another oddity with WPXI: They swapped Wheel and Jeopardy! back in July, but starting in September, Jeopardy! moved back to 7:00 on Saturdays only, and the Saturday run of Wheel got relegated to 4:30 AM Saturday morning. At first, this was done to accommodate local program "The Jerome Bettis Show" and NBC's package of Notre Dame Football games which start at 7:30. Now that NFL season's come and gone, Jeopardy! is still airing at 7:00 on Saturdays and 7:30 is now random specials or infomercials, with Wheel still airing at 4:30 AM. 

That is odd considering the suggested airing for affiliates airing both shows is Wheel first and Jeopardy! second and not the other way around.

Random specials or infomercials means the station is trying to use that prime slot to make extra cash.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bpatrick said:

The ABC o&os in the Eastern and Pacific time zones air "Jeopardy!" first, and there are a  few other places (Charlotte and Orlando come to mind) where that is also true.

I know they do and have historically, but if memory serves me correct someone here mentioned that CBS started clamping down on that and are forcing affiliates to air it in the intended order now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BluesNews said:

I know they do and have historically, but if memory serves me correct someone here mentioned that CBS started clamping down on that and are forcing affiliates to air it in the intended order now.

If they were, WCNC and WFTV would be airing Wheel first. I have heard no such thing.

Last week, WRLH here in Richmond moved LIVE with Kelly and Ryan from 11am to 10am, replacing Sinclair's The National Weather Desk (10am) and 25 Words or Less (10:30am). Now BOTH episodes of 25 Words or Less air back-to-back at 11 and 11:30am. WWBT used to air LIVE (and its predecessors) at that timeslot at 10am until it was dropped from the schedule in 2021.

As for Dr. Phil, I wonder what WRIC will replace it at 3pm? Continue with the repeats with updates? Both half-hours of The Drew Barrymore Show (one half-hour episode currently airs at 12:30pm and another half-hour airs at 2:06am; the show used to air at 3pm until 2022) and let Daytime Jeopardy! return to 12:30pm? Maybe a lifestyle show (Living Local, anyone)? Rachael Ray (which has been airing at 1:06am for a while; I don't believe that Page Six tabloid article but that's my opinion)? Who knows?

Please, no 3pm newscast. Can't picture one here in Richmond...

Edited by tw-804
  • Like 3

No other place to put this but The Late Late Show franchise will end after James Corden's departure. CBS will replace it with a reboot of Comedy Central's @Midnight. Sad. Corden had the best late night show as he was great at celebrity

games and gimmiks like Carpool Careoke. It would be great of Craig Ferguson was willing to return.

https://www.etonline.com/cbs-eyes-game-show-midnight-to-replace-the-late-late-show-after-james-cordens-exit-198784?amp

Edited by iron_lion

25 minutes ago, iron_lion said:

No other place to put this but The Late Late Show franchise will end after James Corden's departure. CBS will replace it with a reboot of Comedy Central's @Midnight. Sad. Corden had the best late night show as he was great at celebrity

games and gimmiks like Carpool Careoke. It would be great of Craig Ferguson was willing to return.

https://www.etonline.com/cbs-eyes-game-show-midnight-to-replace-the-late-late-show-after-james-cordens-exit-198784?amp

Craig already signed up for a syndicated show that's aiming to debut this fall:

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/craig-ferguson-sony-late-night-channel-surf-1235492026/

On 2/3/2023 at 8:26 PM, WheelWarrior said:

11 has favored saturday jepoardy for a long time, at least a decadd but probably longer.  For many years they aired a "classic" judge judy after jepoardy during the non-football season.

• Confused 1

WDAF in Kansas City has temporarily moved Wheel of Fortune to 1:00 AM due to the Chiefs being in the Super Bowl. It returns to the normal time on Saturday (one day before the big game, funny enough).

https://fox4kc.com/news/red-day-specials-move-wheel-of-fortune/

Doing this for an entire week seems pretty extreme. They also did this in 2020 and 21. Do any other stations ever move or pre-empt syndies for a week or more for planned stuff like this? I remember in 2019, WXIA shifted Wheel to WATL for the entire week leading up to that year's Bowl since Atlanta was hosting the game.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, WheelWarrior said:

WDAF in Kansas City has temporarily moved Wheel of Fortune to 1:00 AM due to the Chiefs being in the Super Bowl. It returns to the normal time on Saturday (one day before the big game, funny enough).

https://fox4kc.com/news/red-day-specials-move-wheel-of-fortune/

Doing this for an entire week seems pretty extreme. They also did this in 2020 and 21. Do any other stations ever move or pre-empt syndies for a week or more for planned stuff like this? I remember in 2019, WXIA shifted Wheel to WATL for the entire week leading up to that year's Bowl since Atlanta was hosting the game.

Starting to think Jeopardy and Wheel stuff needs its own thread. 

Wow, due to them hosting the game is a bit extreme. 

• Thanks 1

The big kicker is whether CBS gives 1:07AM back to the affiliates or not. Or if @midnight will be given the full hour timeslot. Personals and Night Games were the last game shows CBS did in late-night, and it was back in 1991-1992. I believe CBS scheduled them in the 1-2AM hour before Nightwatch. Some affiliates never aired them. Central WA never saw these shows as KIMA signed off at 12:30 following whatever Crimetime After Primetime program aired (Sweating Bullets, Fly by Night, etc.)

1 hour ago, Georgie56 said:

Ryan Seacrest is leaving Live, and Kelly’s husband Mark Consuelos is his successor.

Looks like more changes in the syndication world, this time to TV's number 1 daytime talker, I wonder If Disney tried their hardest to have him stay onboard. I can't really blame Seacrest though, he's a busy guy and the back and forth during Idol season must be really exhausting. Kudos to him being a hard worker, but his personal time must have been quite limited. I really thought Ripa was going to pass the baton to Seacrest in terms of succession.

Consuelos will be a good match with Ripa, but if they both "retire" at the same time years down the road, then it will ultimately bring some instability and more questions about the future of the Live franchise, it is a personality driven show that needs chemistry; I wonder if Gelman has started mapping out possible successors already. Heck, since they are a couple, Ripa and Consuelos will most likely be off during the same time period when they go on family vacations together, so they will most likely have trial runs with matching up people when they're off.  It does gives GMA3 an open possibility of taking over the slot as well if that show can get their act together.

Personally, I would have preferred someone like Josh Groban taking over, he was my favorite when he tried out all those years ago. 

Edited by tvtime07
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, tvtime07 said:

Looks like more changes in the syndication world, this time to TV's number 1 daytime talker, I wonder If Disney tried their hardest to have him stay onboard. I can't really blame Seacrest though, he's a busy guy and the back and forth during Idol season must be really exhausting. Kudos to him being a hard worker, but his personal time must have been quite limited. I really thought Ripa was going to pass the baton to Seacrest in terms of succession.

Consuelos will be a good match with Ripa, but if they both "retire" at the same time years down the road, then it will ultimately bring some instability and more questions about the future of the Live franchise, it is a personality driven show that needs chemistry; I wonder if Gelman has started mapping out possible successors already. Heck, since they are a couple, Ripa and Consuelos will most likely be off during the same time period when they go on family vacations together, so they will most likely have trial runs with matching up people when they're off.  It does gives GMA3 an open possibility of taking over the slot as well if that show can get their act together.

Personally, I would have preferred someone like Josh Groban taking over, he was my favorite when he tried out all those years ago. 

Unexected but not surpsing given how busy Seacrest is. Mark is a solid choice. I suppose Kelly didn't want to go through months of guest hosts and the audience is already used Consuelos. Hopefully the saying about working with your spouce doesn't happen here -- but they all ready worked together on All My Children.

I expected Kelly to leave before Ryan, in that case Maria Menunos would have been a solid replacement. 

As for the future of the show, (this was tried already) but Michael Strahan, Sarah Haines and Keke Palmer were good together. I believe their show didn't work out because GMA 3 was an unkown show duplicating a saturated format. LIVE on the other hand has an established brand and maybe the trio --or Michael and one of the two ladies-- would work. But please keep LIVE going rather than replacing it with GMA 3. 

• Like 4

• 24994J locked this topic