Syndicated News for the 2022-23 TV Season

H-Town TV Fan

On 1/25/2023 at 4:26 PM, Superdude said:

Its not, but I think this is more of a slam on RingTv leading off an hour against kelly clarkson and dr phil.  Hence Jeopardy Secondary is now leading into RingTv.  Prob fogure 5th hour of today would do less harm as a lead-in than an hour led by a half-hour Amazon commercial.

What the heck is an NBC station doing airing Ring TV? 😳

On 1/16/2023 at 10:32 AM, TVNewsLover said:

https://pagesix.com/2023/01/11/rachael-rays-talkshow-may-be-coming-to-an-end/amp/

Looks like this might be the last year of Rachael Ray. Could see the east cost ABC O&Os starting a newscast at 3pm, and moving GH to 2pm.

I sometimes forget that Rachael is still on the air, and have seen almost no promo or buzz surrounding her show lately. She's lasted really long though. I remember her taking over Tony Danza's old talk show slot in my market. 

On 1/17/2023 at 11:13 AM, Glimmer said:

I'm actually surpised by this. Drew seems nice enough but she really oversells her exuberance and cheeryness. Her set is beautiful though and NYC local stations ---even Today or GMA-- should take notes. Especially her "Drew's News" set. Its the best set of any talk show on the air right now next to Jennifer Hudson and Kelly Clarkson.

On 1/17/2023 at 5:13 PM, CLETVFan said:

Craig would be welcomed as there are less sitcoms/comedy shows in syndication.

Craig needs to return to the Late Late Show since Corden is leaving.

• Like 2

On 1/13/2023 at 8:04 PM, mrschimpf said:

I'm surprised it was Kelly who was open to it, though, probably because California's COL situation is overall painful, which is why she's in Montana when she can be.

And it seems we've found out the move isn't related to tax breaks or a change of environment; Kelly has a persistent LA stalker and just wants to get herself and her children the hell away from them.

• Sad 1
  • Empathetic 4

27 minutes ago, Glimmer said:

OWN and YouTube carry multiple episodes/segment reruns both in authorized and unauthorized forms, so this isn't like Judge Judy where stations will easily capitulate because their only competition is Judy Justice or JJ reruns on Pluto TV most of the older audience doesn't know about to begin with.

Get ready for another gold rush of 3pm newscasts outside of CBSNS, because 'guest updates' and 'wraparound content' just feels like 'replacement for Rachael' content in deadzone timeslots where only the diehards will care (or the few who don't follow the 'cash me outside' girl online wanting their updates about her sanitized).

And I get the feeling the multiple investigative pieces about the show's BTS drama comparable to Ellen turned it into a lawsuit magnet neither McGraw or PG wanted to continue.

Edited by mrschimpf
  • Sad 1
  • Thought-Provoking 1

43 minutes ago, mrschimpf said:

Get ready for another gold rush of 3pm newscasts outside of CBSNS, because 'guest updates' and 'wraparound content' just feels like 'replacement for Rachael' content in deadzone timeslots where only the diehards will care (or the few who don't follow the 'cash me outside' girl online wanting their updates about her sanitized).

I can imagine the O&Os maybe expanding their 9am shows to an hour and putting both half hours of Drew Barrymore at 3pm 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Glimmer said:

I was literally going to add that I'm surprised Dr. Phil is still on the air in my earlier post about Rachael Ray, then I saw this today. Haven't watched it in years but thats another major player gone from daytime. Judge Mathis, Judge Millian, Pat Sajack & Vana White continue to hold on. 

Edited by iron_lion

15 hours ago, Glimmer said:

Will WFMJ pull the trigger and begin Youngstown’s first 4PM newscast? Or will they take the easy route and air Dr Phil’s reruns? Find out next time on **Youngstown Newscasts Z”.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, NEOMatrix said:

Will WFMJ pull the trigger and begin Youngstown’s first 4PM newscast? Or will they take the easy route and air Dr Phil’s reruns? Find out next time on **Youngstown Newscasts Z”.

Ha! They'll most definitely take the easy route and air reruns of Dr. Phil. 

I think KDKA will do the same. IMO, if any Pittsburgh station starts a 3pm newscast, it will be WPXI. 

Edited by tjt24
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, tjt24 said:

I think KDKA will do the same. IMO, if any Pittsburgh station starts a 3pm newscast, it will be WPXI. 

WPXI, the station that airs Ring TV? I don’t know about that. They will probably find some more cheap filler.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, CLETVFan said:

Another question is who will be the next TV therapist after Dr. Phil stops taping new episodes.  There was Dr. Keith, but he fizzled out.  Did Dr. Drew have a talk show (in syndication)?

Dr. Drew had a CW daytime show that failed after a season or two in the early 2010's. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

WPXI, the station that airs Ring TV? I don’t know about that. They will probably find some more cheap filler.

Also, the same station that chose to air  kelly clarkson at 3am in favor of Right This Minute at 1pm.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Nelson R. said:

No, their opening up the market for linear (OTA and Cable) and streaming (SVOD) platforms beginning 2024.

It doesn't look like its leaving syndication anytime soon.

Edited by CircleSeven
  • Thanks 1

NextTV posted an article yesterday about the issues in the current syndication market.

Apparently, ABC really, really fought to keep Wheel and Jeopardy on its stations because Disney sees them as important, which makes perfect sense; after all, not only are they two of the most popular shows in syndication today, but ABC also runs prime time versions of both.

• Like 3

On 1/31/2023 at 8:59 PM, Glimmer said:

I think WFMZ 69 will still air it. They air it in prime time every night at 9 and they need programs that aren’t too expensive.

Edited by G2000

On 2/1/2023 at 4:15 PM, tjt24 said:

I’m curious to see if WWJ will be the first Detroit station to air a 3pm newscast.  They are already debuting the 4pm newscast next Monday.

I believe the strategy is to air more news than syndicated shows on WWJ-TV.  With Drew Barrymore moving to 9 am next week, I can’t see WWJ putting Drew Barrymore at 3 pm.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Adam MadMan said:

NextTV posted an article yesterday about the issues in the current syndication market.

Apparently, ABC really, really fought to keep Wheel and Jeopardy on its stations because Disney sees them as important, which makes perfect sense; after all, not only are they two of the most popular shows in syndication today, but ABC also runs prime time versions of both.

This doesn’t surprise me.  Last negotiation, Fox Television Stations reportedly made a larger cash offer but Sony and CMV went with the ABC O&Os because they found that the likely ratings drops that would come with a station change would not be worth the money.  

• Like 2

unsure why my post wasn't approved??????? But time to try this again. 

still a quiet 2023-24 season (that new talk show's gonna be 3am filler in many markets) , but good news for 2022-23. Nearly all the shows got renewed - my guesses is iCrime and ring nation are done. ring nation should of been done after week 1 - iCrime at least gave WFTV/WRDQ good filler where I live (still think WOFL stole jennifer hudson from WESH at the last second - our syndication moves here dating back to July seemed to show that wftv was clearing a wide open slot for tamron hall to move to). 

as for cancellations this season - the biggest one so far is Dr. Phil. Where those reruns go will be interesting to see. i think some stations such as WSOC will drop the reruns and get 4pm news/ 

4 hours ago, CircleWXYZ said:

I’m curious to see if WWJ will be the first Detroit station to air a 3pm newscast.  They are already debuting the 4pm newscast next Monday.

I believe the strategy is to air more news than syndicated shows on WWJ-TV.  With Drew Barrymore moving to 9 am next week, I can’t see WWJ putting Drew Barrymore at 3 pm.

CBS News Detroit is basically a streaming operation that happens to have a transmitter tower to simulcast off of, and the stated goal is to be live from 4:30am to 11:35pm every day. Given the current buildout, they’ll already have a 3pm news running streaming-only for a few months until Phil’s show ends, at which point 62 can start simulcasting (and the reruns for next season are shunted off to WKBD?) Currently they have a 7pm streaming-only and that could be added to 62 in the coming weeks.

Edited by Myron Falwell
  • Sad 1

• 24994J locked this topic