Syndicated News for the 2022-23 TV Season

H-Town TV Fan

On 9/14/2022 at 5:07 PM, VHSgoodiesWA said:

The Simpsons has been a 7:30PM staple on KIMA/KEPR/KLEW for 25+ years. There were a couple of years in the early 2000s where The Simpsons didn't air at 7:30, but for the most part it still has a loyal audience in central Washington.

The Simpsons used to be a 7pm sydicaion staple on WNYW! Haven't seen it outside of overnights for a while now on some local stations.

https://www.soapoperanetwork.com/2022/09/daytime-broadcast-ratings-for-the-week-of-september-12-16-2022

The source, Soap Opera Netwerk (may be biased based on the name and audience) cites Neilsen in reporting that NBC News Daily did not have a great debut in the ratings.

This is a transitional time. The soap bubble burst and talk shows became their replacement. Now the talk show bubble has burst and the news has become their replacement. So what happens when the news bubble bursts? Sitcom reruns and game shows on big three stations?

2 hours ago, iron_lion said:

So what happens when the news bubble bursts? Sitcom reruns and game shows on big three stations?

Even more sludge like The Balancing Act/Daily Flash, or worse, Copeland, Robertson and Joyce Meyer and their ilk get higher-profile timeslots. But hopefully more stuff like the 'Very Local' preview hour Hearst aired on their stations in the week between Ellen's end and Jennifer Hudson's launch; it was actually pretty good content

On another note, way too late, Scripps is finally adding much more prominent 'these people pay to be on TV' disclaimers to their advertorial shows at the start in actually readable text rather than shoved onto the end in mice type.

On 7/24/2022 at 10:16 AM, sanewsguy said:

Forget whether Americans really want them or not, do people at the stations themselves want these extra newscasts? Especially when stations are already short-staffed and most certainly aren't adding extra bodies for these (both because people don't want to work there and because companies don't want to hire extra labor — it's a two-way street)?

If anything, stations should be dumping newscasts outside of core hours to help give their staff a break. Mornings, noon, 6, and 11pm are all you really need. The 9ams, 3pms, 4pms, 7pms, weekend morning shows of the world can go if you don't have the staff. Not only is it overkill and repetitive, but it's a lot of work when most stations are stretching their staffs thin. If you have to make your people pull double shifts to get both the morning and evening shows on the air, that's a problem. If you have college interns anchoring your weekend morning show because no one else wants to do it, that's a problem.

Although I'll argue that syndication has not been very compelling the past few years and has gotten pretty cliche. It's either "talk show with big name celebrity" or court show. There's no ifs, ands, or buts. These companies really need to do something different.

I'd also love to see a local station do something other than news or pay-for-play, but unfortunately local stations stopped being daring and creative once quirky local individuals sold their stations to hedge funds.

(I will give Graham Media Group credit in San Antonio, KSAT can and has produced a lot of non-news local shows in the past couple of years, mostly for their digital platforms but they'll air it on TV as weekend filler, most notably Texas Eats)

On 7/24/2022 at 11:04 AM, nycnewsjunkie said:

I’ve come around to thinking this way myself, but in all likelihood, station groups will continue to add newscasts for the time being. The amount of ad revenue they generate will be attractive to station owners, and they don’t yet see the implications of overworking the staff. There has to be some sort of breaking point for this expansion, but I don’t see it happening yet.

If they don’t slash the non-core time-slots entirely, I’d like to see stations do news differently in those time slots. I’d love to see a local Ros Atkins-type analysis show at 4pm, where major stories are broken down/explained, and multiple perspectives are examined.

I actually give Tegna a bit of credit for trying alternative newscasts in certain time slots at KUSA and KTVB. I personally wish they would focus more on analysis instead of commentary/opinion,

Totally agree! *Cough* WSVN, KTLA, WPIX, WGCL, WBBH

Edited by iron_lion

22 WPNT in Pittsburgh is airing now at 10 (where it used to air) instead of iCrime.  I thought SC was pulled out of syndication?  Obviously a sudden change not reflected in the web listings yet

On 9/19/2022 at 11:54 AM, Matt S. said:

welp…does not look like Ring Nation got cleared here in Orlando. At all. also over in Pittsburgh tvtv.us appears to show wpxi backed out of airing it, but tv passport says they’re gonna have it at 3pm. only blatant clearance on either site is WHIO in Dayton, weekdays at 10am (probably because they can’t rely on reruns of justice rules for the entire tv season) 

not even New York City seems to be clearing ring nation. 

Ugh.  Just for Laughs belongs at 3am.  Such an awkward show, you know it's South African because nobody talks- just generic goof music.

1 hour ago, mrschimpf said:

Even more sludge like The Balancing Act/Daily Flash, or worse, Copeland, Robertson and Joyce Meyer and their ilk get higher-profile timeslots. But hopefully more stuff like the 'Very Local' preview hour Hearst aired on their stations in the week between Ellen's end and Jennifer Hudson's launch; it was actually pretty good content

On another note, way too late, Scripps is finally adding much more prominent 'these people pay to be on TV' disclaimers to their advertorial shows at the start in actually readable text rather than shoved onto the end in mice type.

As a Christian I disagree that Preacher TV would be thar horrible. With that said I don't see the local news bubble bursting, throw on stories from the network feed, repurpose stories from othe dayparts and bam collect the local $$.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Superdude said:

As a Christian I disagree that Preacher TV would be thar horrible.

I don't watch televangelist TV. Joel Osteen doesn't need another 5 or 10 new affiliates for his megachurch sermons. HOWEVER...I believe that if a local church wants to stream their services on YT or Facebook for those who can't be there, think about the older audience who are in nursing homes/etc. who also can't make it. Thus, make it available for a 9AM Sun slot on a local TV station as well. In TX and a lot of southern states, there's at least 1-2 churches minimum that sell time on local TV. Here in eastern WA, not so much.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, VHSgoodiesWA said:

I don't watch televangelist TV. Joel Osteen doesn't need another 5 or 10 new affiliates for his megachurch sermons. HOWEVER...I believe that if a local church wants to stream their services on YT or Facebook for those who can't be there, think about the older audience who are in nursing homes/etc. who also can't make it. Thus, make it available for a 9AM Sun slot on a local TV station as well. In TX and a lot of southern states, there's at least 1-2 churches minimum that sell time on local TV. Here in eastern WA, not so much.

There's two stations in Toledo that do it on Sun. mornings.

8 hours ago, VHSgoodiesWA said:

I didn't mean to be so critical of church programming in my original post; I do agree that televised services and Mass for Shut Ins like what's done in the northeast and reasonable asks for donations...I never have an issue with that. But I just loathe the national tele-preachers who push multiple products and giving pleas onto their viewers. And for Osteen, who literally bookends his shows with Lifelock/Norton ads, nobody needs that.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

It appears that a lot of sitcoms don't seem to either last long or even enter over-the-air anymore.  Many have shifted to cable, streaming and even classic over-the-air channels.  Same with movies and the quality of those that are airing at the moment.

Seinfeld is still on OTA syndication! I'm sure it will be renewed well into this decade and then some. Two and a Half Men surprises me, too. It still gets decent rerun ratings in syndication. KTLA Los Angeles still runs it at 7:30 weeknights, even though Charlie Sheen's last episode was aired in early 2011.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 9/16/2022 at 10:14 PM, DENDude said:

2:00PM American Housewife (Replaces a Jeopardy repeat), 2:30PM Modern Family (Replaces another Jeopardy re-peat & moves over from KTVD)

Are you sure KWGN double-ran J! at 2:00 and 2:30? That would mean the KDVR/KWGN duopoly carried three runs of J! total, which CBSMV doesn't offer.

On 9/8/2022 at 11:22 PM, Matt S. said:

WFTV - The Good Doctor comes to Saturday nights starting 9/19 (signifigantly out of order due to the conners and the abc fall preview, and then Jeopardy and WoF).

What does this mean? Is Conners in syndication already? And I thought WFTV was airing WOF/J! Weekend Sundays at 5:00 and 5:30 PM during football season (with WOF first instead of J! likely because they would rather WOF be the show that gets JIP'd after WNBA or MLS overrun than J!; they were reversed last season).

Also, speaking of Good Doctor, it is part of the CW+ lineup weekends at 7 PM, replacing MacGyver. There appear to be two feeds of TGD similar to what they did for Schitt's Creek: one feed for markets that only air one unique ep per weekend, and one for markets that air two episodes per weekend.

Edited by WheelWarrior
  • Confused 1

On 9/23/2022 at 2:36 AM, VHSgoodiesWA said:

Seinfeld is still on OTA syndication! I'm sure it will be renewed well into this decade and then some. Two and a Half Men surprises me, too. It still gets decent rerun ratings in syndication. KTLA Los Angeles still runs it at 7:30 weeknights, even though Charlie Sheen's last episode was aired in early 2011.

WMYT has aired Two and a Half Men at 7 and 7:30pm for the past two years, but it moves back to 10 and 10:30pm Monday with Schitts going out of syndication and Young Sheldon will be at 7 and 7:30pm, with Extra taking over for Young Sheldon at 7pm on WJZY (it was airing at 11:30pm). TMZ and Access Hollywood move up a half hour to 11:30pm and midnight and WJZY will carry the second run of Pictionary at 12:30am.

9-1-1 and The Good Doctor are also picked up by WMYT, 9-1-1 is at 8 and 9pm on Saturdays and The Good Doctor follows at 10 and 11pm. It may vary because of sports telecasts.

Impractical Jokers moves to Sundays at 1 and 1:30pm on WAXN. The Carbarno Effect moves over from WCCB and will air at 2 and 2:30pm on Sundays followed by Ring Nation at 3 and 3pm (starting October 2), The Listener at 4pm, Murdoch Mysteries at 5pm, Magnum PI at 6pm, SEAL Team at 7pm, and some show about the North Carolina STEM Explorers at 8pm replaces a run of Family Feud. 

• Confused 1

Star Jones has begun as the adjudicator on Divorce Court. She appears to be fitting into the role nicely. Judge Lynn Toler was the best, I wish Judge Mablean Ephraim could come off that low brow Byron Allen court show and return to Divorce Court. 

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 3

WOTV: Chi PD early Sat morning 3AM to 6AM replacing Monk block, early Sun morning second runs Weather Gone Viral at 4AM to 5AM, Storm Of Suspicion 5AM to 6AM, which replaces Monk other 2 EP's.

WXSP: Sun night Chi PD 10:30PM to 11:30PM looks like American Ninja Warrior has ended it's weekend run since being on in weekend syndication since 2016. 

16 hours ago, iron_lion said:

Star Jones has begun as the adjudicator on Divorce Court. She appears to be fitting into the role nicely. Judge Lynn Toler was the best, I wish Judge Mablean Ephraim could come off that low brow Byron Allen court show and return to Divorce Court. 

I liked Judge Lynn the best. I liked the Divorce Court of the 2000s and early 2010's when it was more emotional and serious compared to the later seasons where it's now more humorous. I miss the old bailiff Joe as well.

• Like 6

On 9/27/2022 at 12:36 PM, Newsjunkie24 said:

I liked Judge Lynn the best. I liked the Divorce Court of the 2000s and early 2010's when it was more emotional and serious compared to the later seasons where it's now more humorous. I miss the old bailiff Joe as well.

Toler's analysis and advice to couples seemed really deep and powerful in constrast to the more surface level common sense advice from Faith Jenkins and Star Jones.

The program still retains the graphics and futuristic court set look it adopted since moving to Tyler Perry studios. Didn't like the look at first but it's grown on me.  The previous set however, looked warmer and less washed out by lighting.  Atlanta is a natural fit for the show, so much so that I had always assumed it was filmed there and not in LA. 

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, AdamTheJ said:

I see JHud appears to be doing well, but I’m curious to know about season 4 of Kelly Clarkson and Tamron Hall. How are those shows doing in the ratings?

https://tvnewscheck.com/programming/article/lots-to-see-as-syndies-new-season-gets-underway/

They are Tamron, J Hud, Sherri are getting the same ratings, pretty much.

Edited by kshow

1 hour ago, kshow said:

https://tvnewscheck.com/programming/article/lots-to-see-as-syndies-new-season-gets-underway/

They are Tamron, J Hud, Sherri are getting the same ratings, pretty much.

If these numbers hold, it seems all the new shows will be back next year (and the revamp seems to be helping Drew’s numbers too) 

• 24994J locked this topic