Syndicated News for the 2022-23 TV Season

H-Town TV Fan

On 8/13/2022 at 11:00 PM, Nelson R. said:

Sherri station list is out. Some stations list times, others say “Coming soon.” In Charlotte she simply inherits Wendy’s old time slots (WSOC at 10am and the previous  day’s repeat at 6am on WAXN).  I would’ve liked to seen her move to WJZY at 11am, they need a talk show at that time to pair with Rachael Ray if they are going to keep her at 10am. The game shows could move to 1pm. Then WSOC could’ve moved Tamron to 10am and Dr. Phil to 3 and started a 4pm news. Oh well.

But she will be at a different time than Wendy in some markets such as Greenville-Spartanburg. Sheri will be at 2 on WHNS. Wendy was at 10. Wonder if they will be expanding their morning news? Also Wendy was at 3 on WACH but Sherri will be at 2, maybe Tamron moves to 3? 

KRIV and KTXH will have "Sherri" at 10:00am and 12:00pm respectively, replacing "Wendy".

KTXH also gets "iCrime with Elizabeth Vargas", which time it will air is unknown at this time.

And I now know that "Pictionary" will air at 4:00pm on KTXH, effectively replacing one hour of "Family Feud".

• Like 1

Pictionary Station List. This can’t be complete. Lots of missing markets. It takes both of YBYL’s time slots here on WJZY. 11:30am and 12:30am. So likely either 25 Words or Less or YBYL moves to 1pm or WMYT, with the other airing at 11am, or maybe WJZY creates a 2 hour game show block and Rachael Ray moves to 1pm. Of course this could turn out to be wrong, as I learned with Young Sheldon and Nick Cannon last year. 

Edited by Nelson R.

3 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

Pictionary Station List. This can’t be complete. Lots of missing markets. It takes both of YBYL’s time slots here on WJZY. 11:30am and 12:30am. So likely either 25 Words or Less or YBYL moves to 1pm or WMYT, with the other airing at 11am, or maybe WJZY creates a 2 hour game show block and Rachael Ray moves to 1pm. Of course this could turn out to be wrong, as I learned with Young Sheldon and Nick Cannon last year. 

Nothing in Toledo yet, but WXYZ in Detroit gets a dreaded 1:30 AM slot.

9 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

I stand corrected. KRIV Fox 26 will have one airing of Pictionary at 1:30pm, and KTXH will have only one airing of said show at 4:00pm.

5 hours ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

Nothing in Toledo yet, but WXYZ in Detroit gets a dreaded 1:30 AM slot.

Suprising that WXYZ even got this show, seeing that WJBK is a Fox O&O.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Superdude said:

Just saw a promo that the old judge Judy show is moving from WPXI to WPGH 53 in the fall.

They were already losing Kelly Clarkson to WESH, but that was airing at 3am…and Sherri simply inherits Wendy’s old slot…wonder what they will replace Judge Judy with? Jennifer Hudson?

Edited by Nelson R.

On 8/12/2022 at 5:36 AM, iron_lion said:

And it's shocking that Y&R is still #1 because any current viewer of the show knows that nothing happens: the writing is stale, uneventful, and dry comapred to the other dramas on the air. But the soap has retained alot of veteran actors and hasn't fully sent their older cast to the backburner which may have helped them keep the #1 spot.

Which is telling considering I just noticed (as a NON-soap opera and NON-viewer of The Talk) that Eric Braeden was on The Talk either yesterday or today. For those who may be wondering, he's the actor behind Victor Newman on Y&R, the mustache in his previous years (given my mother and her mother have been longtime viewers) being a dead giveaway. The Bell heirs sure take care of their actors quite well.

On 8/12/2022 at 11:15 AM, danderson500 said:

WYFF in Greeneville used to have Sally Jesse too but WLOS outbid them in 1987 or 88.  Phil Donahue was on 4 before Sale Of The Century until WLOS outbid WYFF for Phil in 88, they ended up airing St. Elsewhere reruns before SOTC. 4 also aired Tic Tac Dough with Patrick Wayne in that timeslot in 1990 too.

Not surprised that WYFF carried Donahue considering they were the Multimedia flagship early on until that swap with KSDK in St. Louis earlier in the decade (which Multimedia took advantage of to launch Sally Jessy Raphael). Being 35 years old, you are not alone in being shocked about what your market (or other users' markets) used to air. I was shocked to find that Channel 2 (KPRC) originally had Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy! at first until '86 - I thought they had been on KHOU the whole time before Jeopardy! jumped to its rightful place at KTRK in 2015.

Going back to what I have discovered about Houston, one KPRC promo even showed clips from both game shows as well as The People's CourtFamily Feud, plus some show with Richard Simmons in it circa '85...Seemed as if (Donahue on KTRK notwithstanding) KPRC was the go-to for first-run syndication before Belo used its drug money from The Dallas Morning News + WFAA to prop up KHOU with both of Merv Griffin's game shows + Oprah when KTRK turned them down, due to the 6pm Eyewitness News being a big cash cow (especially with Marvin Zindler), as well as their unwillingness to cancel Million Dollar Movie and let go of its film editors during a time when the oil bust hit Houston's economy so bad one fine dining restaurant had a three-course "Oil Barrel Special" for the price of crude.

In any case, the Million Dollar Movie went away, which could have given KTRK carte blanche to pick up all three of the shows that they turned down, but even as the rest of the ABC O&Os picked them up, Belo most likely spent bigly to keep all three from moving across the street - wouldn't shock me if they conditioned WFAA's continued broadcast of those three shows on KHOU also picking them up in 1992, along with Entertainment Tonight right after the 10pm news, followed by talk shows hosted by Whoopi Goldberg, Rush Limbaugh and Jane Whitney. (ET went to KPRC the following season right after the 6pm news as David Letterman crossed over to CBS (and KHOU, albeit at 11:05 p.m.).)

• Like 3

WSMV is dropping all their syndication for more news. The midday news will run from 11-12, noon news from 12-1, NBC News Daily at 1, Today in Nashville will move from 11 to 2 and run for an hour, and add a 3pm newscast. This all starts Sept 5. Right now their syndication is Wendy Williams and Tamron Hall. Wendy is getting replaced by Sherri and she is going to Fox17(?). No word on where Tamron is going, yet. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, EVVTV12 said:

WSMV is dropping all their syndication for more news. The midday news will run from 11-12, noon news from 12-1, NBC News Daily at 1, Today in Nashville will move from 11 to 2 and run for an hour, and add a 3pm newscast. This all starts Sept 5. Right now their syndication is Wendy Williams and Tamron Hall. Wendy is getting replaced by Sherri and she is going to Fox17(?). No word on where Tamron is going, yet. 

Something tells me that WSMV and other NBC affiliates have been waiting for the arrival of NBC News Daily to hype up their station as having “Fifteen Non-Stop Hours of News”, and WSMV has the perfect voice over for it, Scott Chapin. Actually, it’s really 14.5 hours, as this News block currently begins at 4:30am.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, AdamTheJ said:

Actually, it’s really 14.5 hours, as this News block currently begins at 4:30am.

You sure about that? Really, I don't know. I'm just going off their website.

image.thumb.png.e36a9295e6c1c830993cc4c3c7d4d393.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, EVVTV12 said:

This is the future of some local stations happening now. We speculated here in the past if + when it's gonna happen. Now, some stations need to invest more into local proramming other than news + public affairs. Can you blame them, tho? Let alone a political year. Syndie business have no one to blame but themselves putting in a perilous situation toward extinction. Sure FOX/CW/MNT/Indy stations still need them, more than syndie needs them, but for how long? When a 'parking lot station' (i.e: KCOP) turned over 4 hours of its afternoon programming to simulcast their diginet Decades, it's quite telling.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Gray is pushing its stations to replace syndicated programs with news and news-related programming.  WAVE and WBTV have already done that; WGCL is down to just two syndicated programs, 'Inside Edition" and "The Big Bang Theory."  I suspect there are some Gray stations carrying "Wheel of Fortune" and "Jeopardy!" that are just waiting for the contracts to expire so they can put news at 7 Eastern or 6:30 Central.

7 hours ago, AdamTheJ said:

Actually, it’s really 14.5 hours, as this News block currently begins at 4:30am.

NO. It has been more than a decade now that WSMV has LONGGGG started bright and early at 4AM.

EDIT: As a matter of fact, everybody in Nashville that airs local news starts at 4AM.

Edited by TheRolyPoly

20 hours ago, EVVTV12 said:

That makes WSMV the second (?) Gray station to go all news outside of network programming (I know WBTV in Charlotte does this as well)…

If it works in Nashville, as it apparently does in Charlotte, one wonders how many other Gray stations might try going all-news outside of network? I can see this working in maybe Louisville, St. Louis, or even Phoenix, probably. Of course, not sure about WGCL in Atlanta…..

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, J1975am said:

Of course, not sure about WGCL in Atlanta…..

That could easily be accomplished by moving their runs of Inside Edition and Big Bang Theory to WPCH…I could definitely see that happening. Well Inside Edition is news so they could keep that. 

19 minutes ago, edutv9 said:

WAVE has been doing this for at least a year or more, except for Days of Our Lives.

Days of our Lives obviously doesn’t count being an NBC show

2 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

That could easily be accomplished by moving their runs of Inside Edition and Big Bang Theory to WPCH…I could definitely see that happening. Well Inside Edition is news so they could keep that. 

Days of our Lives obviously doesn’t count being an NBC show

Inside Edition hasn't even be on WGCL for a year! It seems a little ludicrous to move something so soon. It is harder to have more news as an CBS affiliate with TPIR, LMAD (depending on where you are in the county for time), Y&R, B&B, AND The Talk. I'm all for canceling the latter though 

Edited by ATLNewsExpert
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ATLNewsExpert said:

Inside Edition hasn't even be on WGCL for a year! It seems a little ludicrous to move something so soon. It is harder to have more news as an CBS affiliate with TPIR, LMAD (depending on where you are in the county for time), Y&R, B&B, AND The Talk. I'm all for canceling the latter though 

I didn’t know that. Well move that to 7:30 and put all three BBT episodes on WPCH. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, tjt24 said:

So I'm not sure if this goes in this thread or not (feel free to move if not), but WFMJ's assistant news director just tweeted this...

20220818_153518.jpg

Congratulations to WFMJ for finally realizing 1988 happened 34 years ago and it's time to have a 5pm newscast.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

38 minutes ago, mrschimpf said:

Congratulations to WFMJ for finally realizing 1988 happened 34 years ago and it's time to have a 5pm newscast.

If it wasn’t for WFMJ wanting to counterprogram WKBN at 5pm with Maury, then Oprah, then Ellen, WFMJ would’ve done it YEARS ago.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

What I'm talking about is that there are no longer any syndicated shows on WAVE or WBTV (and  WSMV is joining them); when their networks are down, they have either local news or locally-produced lifestyle shows.  WBTV carries the entire CBS daytime lineup, and Days of Our Lives will be on WAVE until Sept. 9.  As for WGCL, Inside Edition and The Big Bang Theory are syndicated, but they are the last two syndicated shows on CBS46.

On 7/22/2022 at 4:57 AM, SS8609 said:

So far for 2022-23, here is what I do know (or at least can speculate) about Houston:

KPRC (Ch.2/NBC): One of the biggest repeat offenders (Conan O'Brien in the 90s, anyone?) of jumbling around NBC's schedule. Entertainment Tonight will still be on at 6:30pm, along with Dr. Phil at 1:00pm with Days of Our Lives at 2:00pm, repeating at 1:05am. The locally produced Houston Life (3:00pm) does not appear to be going anywhere.

KHOU (Ch.11/CBS): Not sure as to what will replace Ellen at 3:00pm, or whether or not Great Day Houston (9:00am) remains given that show at last check still is produced in COVID mode. Even if not this season, Wheel of Fortune (6:30pm) could still move over to another particular station with a certain set of mouse ears for an antenna, but until then we'll have to see what Cox does with the station once they take over - either an afternoon hour of Daily Blast Live (if that hasn't been canceled or dropped in preparation for Tegna's sale of 11 to Cox), or perhaps even Dr. Phil, Drew Barrymore (2:00am (!) on Ch.39 now), Kelly Clarkson (definitely more likely Ch.2 though) or Rachael Ray (which has not aired in Houston since KUBE/Ch.57 became an all-shopping tax write-off for Richard French). I will be shocked if they retain Daily Blast Live in the post-James Corden 12:37am timeslot. The main late night Saturday/Sunday CMV serial block (SEAL Team, Bull - both of which no longer air on CBS) might be changing along with Canada's Murdoch Mysteries late Saturday night, but I could be wrong.

KTRK (Ch.13/ABC): They will still have Live with Kelly and Ryan at 9:00am and Tamron Hall at 1:00pm, plus Jeopardy! at 11:30am, Inside Edition at 3:30pm and the West Coast feed of World News Tonight after Live and Jeopardy repeat and before Tamron repeats. Next year could certainly be different if 13 were to pick up Wheel and Jeopardy! for prime access (a major improvement for the latter which has to be losing valuable ad dollars in Houston at its midday timeslot, ironic considering the original NBC Jeopardy! aired at lunchtime), but it's hard to justify them dropping their 6:00pm news (or preferably shipping it off to Ch.39) this season if at all. I predict that reruns of The Good Doctor (which is a current ABC show) and 9-1-1 (which is on Fox, not ABC, but is linked corporately to Disney via 20th Century Fox) will replace Wipeout and Castle reruns that air on late nights after Ch.13's late news and Texans highlights shows (for which the latter has low expectations, but at least got rid of their problematic QB who is now Cleveland's problem).

KTXH (Ch.20/ MyTV Ind.): Mostly just repeats from its sister station (Fox 26) and the carcass of MyNetworkTV (seriously, kill it off already), but with The Real gone the only things they really have going for it now are The 700 Club in the mornings, 25 Words or Less and Family Feud in the late afternoon/early evening, and off-net Modern Family and Big Bang Theory reruns as well as The Simpsons in prime and late night. I could actually see two particular talk shows debuting on Fox 26 airing their reruns here though. They will have to fill the void where Schitt's Creek and 2 Broke Girls are disappearing in the latter group as well; perhaps American Housewife will go here since it aired around the same time as the latter years of Modern Family on ABC. Access Hollywood is airing in late night at 11:30pm, and might actually benefit from moving over to Fox 26 (see below).

KRIV (Fox 26): Wendy Williams has given way to Sherri Shepherd and Jennifer Hudson is coming here as well (as @H-Town TV Fan has already mentioned). However, the cheese holes on Fox 26 go well beyond Wendy - Nick Cannon and The Good Dish are both gone, and there's no telling whether or not Judge Judy's highly rated zombie reruns remain at 4pm. Extra and TMZ Live likely are staying put, as well as the Kelly Clarkson Show (unless that goes to KPRC since KHOU would be more likely to pick up Dr. Phil than Kelly Clarkson to replace Ellen at 3pm), and I could see Divorce Court getting a better timeslot than 1:30am. Pictionary definitely will be airing on Fox 26 along with You Bet Your Life, and could be primed to lead-in to Fox 26's 5pm news if they do the smart thing and move Access Hollywood from late night on KTXH to 6:30pm after its 6pm news (and against ET on KPRC), though I imagine TMZ (which is actually a staple on Fox O&Os) would be preferred over Access here. I'm surprised Dish Nation (1:00am) is still even on.

KIAH (CW 39): They'll still have their morning weather and traffic show in the mornings and Judge Mathis and The People's Court afterwards, but Lauren Lake has a new courtroom show courtesy of Byron Allen (which effectively replaces the one that's airing now after Relative Justice in the noon hour), but it's fair to say Karamo will replace Maury (1:00pm) or Jerry Springer (3:00pm) with the former being prioritized more than Springer's in terms of reruns; I see Springer's reruns actually airing in place of the canceled Judge Jerry at 4:00am and Steve Wilkos will still be airing at 2:00pm. The early evening reruns of The Goldbergs, Last Man Standing, Black-ish and Young Sheldon will likely still be there, but I am predicting reruns of The Neighborhood will replace reruns of Mike & Molly or Mom after Two and a Half Men reruns. I know Mike & Molly's reruns are going bye-bye, but I'm not certain about Mom though I will be surprised if they are still on this coming year. Daily Mail TV (3:00am) is gone, and will likely be replaced by Entertainment Studios filler programs, reruns of daytime talk shows or infomercials. Ch.13 will still air its 9:00pm news on Ch.39, but I think they'd be wise to fill the midnight repeat slot with either Friends reruns (which chiefly air on the weekends) or Seinfeld reruns (nonexistent in H-Town since that was the last syndie program Ch.57 dropped when it became a shopping channel) since occasionally they end up not airing the repeat, either airing Friends reruns or a weird combo of partial infomercials and endless advertisements (as happened last Friday night) instead.

KTBU (Ch.55): This is the wild card in the whole, longwinded discussion about Houston, and since Quest (the network airing on 55.1) is still going to be a Tegna property and can easily be moved over to the KHOU signal, while the station is primarily being used to give KHOU a UHF home to make up for whatever shortcomings its signal has on its main VHF-based facility, I'm sure Cox will want to take advantage of this extra real estate space to launch a new indie station on the primary Ch.55 signal. The big downside is that the syndicated offerings are likely to be slim pickings for this year and there will likely be a lot of filler programming here should they go the indie route, though it may give Ch.11 an opportunity to air additional newscasts of its own (9:00pm, 7:00-9:00am while the main Ch.11 carries CBS Mornings), etc.) over on Ch.55.

If anyone has anything new about Houston (including where iCrime will wind up, likely Ch.39?), feel free to fill me in...

You know, honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised if the move of Kelly Clarkson to KPRC and Dr. Phil to KHOU were the decision. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised to see many other CBS affiliates, like WNCN, WLKY, and KCCI all replace Ellen with Dr. Phil. I’d change the channel, though, since his shows are dark toned, which IMO, there is way too much of on American TV these days. If that’s how Americans want it, then I must think that they’ve got as much personality as a slab of wood.

• 24994J locked this topic