Syndicated News for the 2022-23 TV Season

H-Town TV Fan

I didn't see that one coming with Days leaving NBC for Peacock. I saw old promos when Wood TV was WOTV in the 80s a couple of months ago. I was surprised that they had Sally Jesse which I thought was always on WWMT & Phil Donahue as well which was also on WWMT and also primetime Wheel for 2 years 83 to 85 as I thought that WZZM aired primetime Wheel from the start before moving to WWMT in the fall of 93 along with Jeopardy. I heard that Wood TV didn't clear all of the NBC daytime lineup wasn't until 85 or 86 when they aired it in full. I think that Sale Of The Century was aired on WXMI for the last couple of years before Fox was a network.

I knew that daytime Wheel was on NBC in the 80s. Other shows from the promo in 83 & 84 Wood TV aired repeats of Different Strokes kinda surprised by that as I thought that WXMI aired it I watched Different Stroke on WKBD out of Detroit as that was Michigan's Superstation at the time as that was on Cablevision in the 80s & early 90s. Sorry for going off topic.     

On 7/24/2022 at 8:04 AM, nycnewsjunkie said:

I’ve come around to thinking this way myself, but in all likelihood, station groups will continue to add newscasts for the time being. The amount of ad revenue they generate will be attractive to station owners, and they don’t yet see the implications of overworking the staff. There has to be some sort of breaking point for this expansion, but I don’t see it happening yet.

If they don’t slash the non-core time-slots entirely, I’d like to see stations do news differently in those time slots. I’d love to see a local Ros Atkins-type analysis show at 4pm, where major stories are broken down/explained, and multiple perspectives are examined.

I actually give Tegna a bit of credit for trying alternative newscasts in certain time slots at KUSA and KTVB. I personally wish they would focus more on analysis instead of commentary/opinion, and Kyle Clark can come across as being a bit arrogant at times, but the format seems to work, at least at those stations. Plus, they relieve the pressure on the rest of the staff and make the station stand out.

Crazy as it is seems, but I don't think we will ever see someone on daytime in the league of Oprah ever again. I would love to be proved wrong though. The daytime landscape is different from what it used to be; streaming and social media have taken away daytime television's relevance since you can get entertainment and infotainment anytime in the palm of your hands. Big-name media giants have all tried to replicate the magic with already-established personalities like Anderson, Meredith, Katie to lackluster results. 

With the cable industry being a former shell of itself, I totally see broadcasting going to the wayside eventually and the local news industry evolving to meet customer demand on other platforms. I think that this is the reason why you are seeing more newscasts these days rather than stations investing in a talkshow, it's just easier and affiliates are preparing for a time when their audience will more likely see them on an app, social media or on their Roku box. When we get to that point, are network affiliations be of importance? If you ask KTLA, the answer is "not anymore". 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Megatron81 said:

I didn't see that one coming with Days leaving NBC for Peacock. I saw old promos when Wood TV was WOTV in the 80s a couple of months ago. I was surprised that they had Sally Jesse which I thought was always on WWMT & Phil Donahue as well which was also on WWMT and also primetime Wheel for 2 years 83 to 85 as I thought that WZZM aired primetime Wheel from the start before moving to WWMT in the fall of 93 along with Jeopardy. I heard that Wood TV didn't clear all of the NBC daytime lineup wasn't until 85 or 86 when they aired it in full. I think that Sale Of The Century was aired on WXMI for the last couple of years before Fox was a network.

I knew that daytime Wheel was on NBC in the 80s. Other shows from the promo in 83 & 84 Wood TV aired repeats of Different Strokes kinda surprised by that as I thought that WXMI aired it I watched Different Stroke on WKBD out of Detroit as that was Michigan's Superstation at the time as that was on Cablevision in the 80s & early 90s. Sorry for going off topic.     

Just realizing that with DAYS gone, NBC Daytime has finally collapsed after years of faltering behind CBS and ABC in terms of soaps especially. 

It's amazing that cable was touted as the next big thing only to fall apart in just a few years once Netflix began streaming original content. Cable was like CDs & DVDs... replaced VCR/casettes only to not last as long because streaming took over.

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, CLETVFan said:

Could the other soaps (GH, B&B, Y&R) move online to make room for more alternative network programming (or even additional news or syndicated product)?

I think so! GH which will now be the lowest rated soap on tv may be the next to go after it's 60th. Either to Hulu or outright cancelled. 

CBS has always been more celebratory of it's soaps in recent years, but eventually Y&R and B&B will go to either to Paramount + or off the air totally.

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 1

I doubt it. Y&R is #1 and B&B is popular in Europe. Can't see them going any time soon. However, I think General Hospital could be in trouble in the next couple of years. They've lost many LONG-TIME stars over the past few years (Anthony Geary, Steve Burton over vaccines, etc.) but Y&R seems stable for now.

Meanwhile, central WA gains Jennifer Hudson on KAPP/KVEW. Either 2pm or 4pm (replacing The Doctors or Good Dish). Also, KAPP gains Friends reruns (!?) at 11:05 PM which moves Jimmy Kimmel a half-hour later to the normal 11:35 PT timeslot. JKL aired at 11:05 for years, since ABC swapped Nightline. KAPP only airs a 2.5 min. news update and about 3 min. of commercials at 11PM.

No word on Pictionary, Sherri (probably replacing Wendy Williams on KNDO), Karamo, The Neighborhood, American Housewife, iCrime, etc...

• Like 2

10 hours ago, iron_lion said:

I think so! GH which will now be the lowest rated soap on tv may be the next to go after it's 60th. Either to Hulu or outright cancelled. 

CBS has always been more celebratory of it soaps in recent years but eventually Y&R and B&B will go to either to Paramount + or off the air totally.

YR contract ends in 2024 & Bold contract ends in 2023. The Bell Family that started both shows- the eldest son was responsible of selling the shows overseas. Where their $$$ comes from.  Lee Philip Bell was very popular in Chicago back in the day at WBBM.  Idk if the Family has some type of blood deal with CBS.  Who knows both shows could get a year renewal before morphing into Paramount.  I could see Bold either on Paramount or even take a dip to Pop ( at one time Bold was airing reruns on there) as for YR- it run by Sony Television Pictures.  The Bells' own Bold outright. 

As for the ratings in the soap world they're looking at the demos18-49 & 18-25 arena and Bold has been beating big sister YR for several cycles.  YR still #1 in HH.

12 hours ago, CLETVFan said:

Could the other soaps (GH, B&B, Y&R) move online to make room for more alternative network programming (or even additional news or syndicated product)?

They could it cost 50 million dollars to produce a soap.  When ABC dumped their two soaps; Madison Ave came out and said they were still invested in soap opera

viewing, because the audience is there and stable. 

Do we really want to see more news in the afternoon?   The soap audience hating seeing Talk Shows, or another news program replaced their soap. They've watched with their grandmothers, then their mothers and etc.  They want the escapism, and they want to be entertained.  They don't want to see GMA or Today on for the whole day.

The executives at the network is looking at the bottom line of course, and today's executives seem to be more concern about cheaper program vs. the entertainment value.

Anything is possible. 

Edited by Breaking News
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, tvtime07 said:

Crazy as it is seems, but I don't think we will ever see someone on daytime in the league of Oprah ever again. I would love to be proved wrong though. The daytime landscape is different from what it used to be; streaming and social media have taken away daytime television's relevance since you can get entertainment and infotainment anytime in the palm of your hands. Big-name media giants have all tried to replicate the magic with already-established personalities like Anderson, Meredith, Katie to lackluster results. 

With the cable industry being a former shell of itself, I totally see broadcasting going to the wayside eventually and the local news industry evolving to meet customer demand on other platforms. I think that this is the reason why you are seeing more newscasts these days rather than stations investing in a talkshow, it's just easier and affiliates are preparing for a time when their audience will more likely see them on an app, social media or on their Roku box. When we get to that point, are network affiliations be of importance? If you ask KTLA, the answer is "not anymore". 

Sorry if I didn’t make myself clear, but Ros Atkins is a journalist at the BBC, not a talk show host. That said, I generally agree. I’m not a talk show person, but I can appreciate that Oprah really built up a successful show with a large audience during her era. I don’t think any of the more established personalities have come close, and the demand for that kind of show has decreased. I’m sure Jennifer Hudson, for example, will do fine, but she won’t garner the audience she might have ten years ago. The only comparison to these shows on the local level are pay-for-play shows, but those are about as interesting as watching paint dry imo.

Edited by nycnewsjunkie
Spacing
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Breaking News said:

YR contract ends in 2024 & Bold contract ends in 2023. The Bell Family that started both shows- the eldest son was responsible of selling the shows overseas. Where their $$$ comes from.  Lee Philip Bell was very popular in Chicago back in the day at WBBM.  Idk if the Family has some type of blood deal with CBS.  Who knows both shows could get a year renewal before morphing into Paramount.  I could see Bold either on Paramount or even take a dip to Pop ( at one time Bold was airing reruns on there) as for YR- it run by Sony Television Pictures.  The Bells' own Bold outright. 

As for the ratings in the soap world they're looking at the demos18-49 & 18-25 arena and Bold has been beating big sister YR for several cycles.  YR still #1 in HH.

They could it cost 50 million dollars to produce a soap.  When ABC dumped their two soaps; Madison Ave came out and said they were still invested in soap opera

viewing, because the audience is there and stable. 

Do we really want to see more news in the afternoon?   The soap audience hating seeing Talk Shows, or another news program replaced their soap. They've watched with their grandmothers, then their mothers and etc.  They want the escapism, and they want to be entertained.  They don't want to see GMA or Today on for the whole day.

The executives at the network is looking at the bottom line of course, and today's executives seem to be more concern about cheaper program vs. the entertainment value.

Anything is possible. 

Having at least one soap at least led viewers to NBC to see promos for other NBC shows in primetime and late night.  Without Days, I won't be viewing anything on the local NBC station during the day anymore (or much at all).  I'm sure many others won't be either.  I have little interest in news programs and talk shows. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 7/22/2022 at 3:57 AM, SS8609 said:

KTBU (Ch.55): This is the wild card in the whole, longwinded discussion about Houston, and since Quest (the network airing on 55.1) is still going to be a Tegna property and can easily be moved over to the KHOU signal, while the station is primarily being used to give KHOU a UHF home to make up for whatever shortcomings its signal has on its main VHF-based facility, I'm sure Cox will want to take advantage of this extra real estate space to launch a new indie station on the primary Ch.55 signal. The big downside is that the syndicated offerings are likely to be slim pickings for this year and there will likely be a lot of filler programming here should they go the indie route, though it may give Ch.11 an opportunity to air additional newscasts of its own (9:00pm, 7:00-9:00am while the main Ch.11 carries CBS Mornings), etc.) over on Ch.55.

I see this happening to KTBU too. Even if the Cox-Standard General-Tegna deal does not go through, the KTBU indie proposal would still be a possibility under Tegna.

On 8/9/2022 at 7:04 PM, iron_lion said:

CBS has always been more celebratory of it's soaps in recent years, but eventually Y&R and B&B will go to either to Paramount + or off the air totally.

And it's shocking that Y&R is still #1 because any current viewer of the show knows that nothing happens: the writing is stale, uneventful, and dry comapred to the other dramas on the air. But the soap has retained alot of veteran actors and hasn't fully sent their older cast to the backburner which may have helped them keep the #1 spot.

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 4

On 8/9/2022 at 2:02 AM, Megatron81 said:

WYFF in Greeneville used to have Sally Jesse too but WLOS outbid them in 1987 or 88.  Phil Donahue was on 4 before Sale Of The Century until WLOS outbid WYFF for Phil in 88, they ended up airing St. Elsewhere reruns before SOTC. 4 also aired Tic Tac Dough with Patrick Wayne in that timeslot in 1990 too.

• Like 1

Article is behind a paywall, but WCCB’s “Your Day With Anna Kooiman” won’t be starting until January 9 after they first said it would be premiering this fall. 

For Anna Kooiman, return to Charlotte is ‘a dream come true.’ But is she here to stay?

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/entertainment/tv/article264140976.html

It appears WCCB News Rising will be cut by an hour as it says this show will be airing from 8-9am. They can’t move 700 Club to 10am? Years ago they aired it at like 2 in the afternoon.

Edited by 24994J

The very frequent interruption of programming for "Special Reports" some of which could easily wait until scheduled newscast times, I'm sure has not helped daytime tv, especially soaps. The reports arent five minutes either, sometimes they take up a show's entire time slot with nothing but conjecture.

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sherri station list is out. Some stations list times, others say “Coming soon.” In Charlotte she simply inherits Wendy’s old time slots (WSOC at 10am and the previous  day’s repeat at 6am on WAXN).  I would’ve liked to seen her move to WJZY at 11am, they need a talk show at that time to pair with Rachael Ray if they are going to keep her at 10am. The game shows could move to 1pm. Then WSOC could’ve moved Tamron to 10am and Dr. Phil to 3 and started a 4pm news. Oh well.

But she will be at a different time than Wendy in some markets such as Greenville-Spartanburg. Sheri will be at 2 on WHNS. Wendy was at 10. Wonder if they will be expanding their morning news? Also Wendy was at 3 on WACH but Sherri will be at 2, maybe Tamron moves to 3? 

Edited by Nelson R.
Corrected spelling for Sherri

9 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

Sheri station list is out. Some stations list times, others say “Coming soon.” In Charlotte she simply inherits Wendy’s old time slots (WSOC at 10am and the previous  day’s repeat at 6am on WAXN).  I would’ve liked to seen her move to WJZY at 11am, they need a talk show at that time to pair with Rachael Ray if they are going to keep her at 10am. The game shows could move to 1pm. Then WSOC could’ve moved Tamron to 10am and Dr. Phil to 3 and started a 4pm news. Oh well.

But she will be at a different time than Wendy in some markets such as Greenville-Spartanburg. Sheri will be at 2 on WHNS. Wendy was at 10. Wonder if they will be expanding their morning news? Also Wendy was at 3 on WACH but Sheri will be at 2, maybe Tamron moves to 3? 

WHIZ is launching a Fox channel???

I saw that on the listings for Sherri. 

• 24994J locked this topic