Syndicated News for the 2022-23 TV Season

H-Town TV Fan

3 hours ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

I don’t think they have to revive “Bozo the Clown” or anything, but it would be refreshing to see local stations produce their own content. The way the TV market is going, they might just need to in order to stay relevant. The networks are prioritizing streaming, and the affiliates have become a secondary concern (Ex: CBS was willing to leave top-rated WRAL for basement-dweller WNCN just so they could receive reverse compensation.) Producing local programming other than news and the generic pay-for-play crap would at least be a step in making stations more relevant in their own communities again.

Funny you mention Bozo. David Arquette bought the character last year and is looking to bring him back to the limelight. That said, I don't see any evidence that local TV stations are part of the equation.

As for local stations making more diverse programming, I think the last major push for that kind of thing came from USA Broadcasting, who used WAMI in Miami as model for CityVision, which was supposed to be a group of stations emphasizing locally produced programming. Unfortunately, the WAMI experiment was a ratings disaster, and the rest of the USA stations abandoned the idea of a big local push in favor of just being run of the mill independent stations at a time when The WB and UPN were pushing those out, and Barry Diller gave up on the whole experiment within a few years, selling the stations to Univision to form the basis of Telefutura, now called UniMas.

I can imagine the failure of the CityVision concept left a massive stink over the concept of local programming outside of news and pay-for-play, and it's probably why stations haven't been more daring. Still, that was in the late 90s and early 2000s, when cable was at its peak and internet video was barely a thing. Maybe it'd work better today, but I can still imagine some executive thinking back to CityVision and saying "Nope! Not again!"

• Like 4

WCCB is racking up this year, they are picking up Karamo, Your Day With Anna Kooiman (which is in house), Jennifer Hudson and now i heard they will be picking up The Neighborhood. I would be be surprised if they didn’t put it at 7 and 7:30 and moved Blackish to 6 and/or 6:30. If they picked up American Housewife I could see them pairing it with Blackish in the 6:00 hour and another run of each in late night. 

Edited by Nelson R.

Here in Atlanta (and just speculating):

WAGA will slot Sherri Shepherd at 11:00 am, and as I said on our Discord: Since they turned her down in favor of a local show with Portia Bruner at 1:00 pm, WXIA will likely take Jennifer Hudson at 3:00.

Portia's show will be a half-hour, leaving 1:30 pm open; I can see Pictionary filling that slot while keeping You Bet Your Life at midnight.

The other stations' statuses remain unknown for now.

Edited by johnnya2k6

13 hours ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

There has to be some sort of breaking point for this expansion, but I don’t see it happening yet.

The breaking point has arrived. It's just that group owners (and some managers who refuse to adapt because "it's always been this way") won't change. Or they are straight up ignorant (Hilton Howell said that there hasn't been any great resignations at Gray.... I'm sure he's talking out of his ass, or maybe because he runs three insurance companies in addition to running Gray, he has no idea what really is going on there).

I think a change will come, but it's going to take younger people at the top to make that change. That unfortunately won't happen for another 10-25 years, and by then, it'll be too late.

14 hours ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

I don’t think they have to revive “Bozo the Clown” or anything, but it would be refreshing to see local stations produce their own content. The way the TV market is going, they might just need to in order to stay relevant. The networks are prioritizing streaming, and the affiliates have become a secondary concern (Ex: CBS was willing to leave top-rated WRAL for basement-dweller WNCN just so they could receive reverse compensation.) Producing local programming other than news and the generic pay-for-play crap would at least be a step in making stations more relevant in their own communities again.

In lots of these markets, there are independent filmmakers and theatre actors. I'd love to see a station produce a good quality drama or sitcom on a local level (or maybe as a group to share costs). It's amazing what good quality you can get with today's technology and some creative minds. Of course, someone has to pay for the production crew, for the actors, etc. But I'd imagine on a local level, for someone who is looking for a platform and a big break, you can produce something much cheaper than a network level series since it's not all big name actors or crew. Some of these stations are in states where tax film incentives are great.

Or, maybe as an alternative, look at some PBS stations, many of whom do a far better job at producing non-news local content than the vast majority of commercial TV stations (maybe because PBS stations aren't owned by hedge funds so they have room to be creative and respond to their communities). One of my favorite shows from a PBS member is "Check, Please!" which originated at WTTW Chicago but has been licensed out to other PBS members as well. A show like this would work well for a commercial level too, if the creators were willing to license it to commercial stations, and it wouldn't take too much resources to put it either. Programming like this is far more useful to a local audience than "Local Steals and Deals" or a commercial for Power Swabs inside of "Podunk Living". And if you play it the right way, it can be easily monetized (maybe only feature restaurants willing to pay – might not be ethical, but a more entertaining way to make a buck than the crap stations put out now).

Just, something has got to give. The status quo cannot and should not continue.

• Like 3

I was surprised that Karamo went to WCCB in Charlotte as I thought that would've gone to MyNet TV since Nexstar is the launch group for the show. I haven't seen any promos for the shows yet other than Jennifer Hudson. Yeah, I got to believe the staff have got to be tried with all the extra shows and not hiring no one new for said shows which is just cheap filler and pay to play type shows with local newscast & lifestyle shows. Seems that game shows are making a comeback I wish dating shows would make a comeback in Syndication the last big dating show was Blind Date & Elimidate in the early 2000s.   

6 hours ago, Megatron81 said:

I was surprised that Karamo went to WCCB in Charlotte as I thought that would've gone to MyNet TV since Nexstar is the launch group for the show.

WCCB has Maury so I figured it would go there.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, sanewsguy said:

In lots of these markets, there are independent filmmakers and theatre actors. I'd love to see a station produce a good quality drama or sitcom on a local level (or maybe as a group to share costs). It's amazing what good quality you can get with today's technology and some creative minds.
[snip]

Just, something has got to give. The status quo cannot and should not continue.

What about localized versions of (classic) game shows?  A game show could be designed such that the same questions/clues/puzzles could be used with the ground rules being that all all are taped at the same time/date.  (Think a localized version of the $25,000 Pyramid or the British show Countdown (where each game is truly different and all depends on random draw made by the participants…)

If there wasn’t dependence on secrecy of questions (e.g., Countdown) a portable set could be created that travels between locales for taping.

Keep prizes small (two nights at downtown hotel with Dinner - or exchange between cities - a New York version has 2 nights at a DC hotel and vice versa. Or in the case of Countdown, a Teapot…)

Just an idea…

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

Someone said on Radio Discussions that Judge Jerry is staying around in reruns like Jerry Springer and Judge Judy.

Jerry Springer and Maury already have or will go into reruns now that they're both ending. Makes sense for Judge Jerry.

In Syracuse, Jennifer Hudson has been picked up by WSYT FOX 68. This will be their first talk show in a long time. Currently, the WSYT FOX/MyTV duopoly consists entirely of sitcoms, pretty much all the court shows, and Wheel and Jeopardy!.

16 minutes ago, KS-IL-IA said:

WMOR's fall schedule is out -- JHud, Neighborhood, Karamo are new ...

https://www.mor-tv.com/article/mor-programming-guide/8466717

Also We The People With Lauren Lake, which I thought was going to be an hour show but it is apparently going to be split up into 30 minute blocks like most syndie court shows (other than Judge Mathis and People’s Court).

• Like 1

On 7/22/2022 at 3:24 PM, tw-804 said:

Just saw a short promo for LIVE with Kelly and Ryan on my local FOX station, WRLH. The show is returning to Richmond and it will air at 11am on September 5th (currently the time slot is home to 25 Words or Less and You Bet Your Life with Jay Leno). To be honest, they should have put it at 9am to replace The National Desk. Remember last year, WWBT dropped LIVE from its 10am timeslot for TODAY with Hoda and Jenna and debuted a new 11am newscast, NBC12 News Before Noon.

EDIT (4:00pm/ET): Just saw a short promo for Karamo. The show will be on WRLH as well. Didn't say what timeslot.

Another update for WRLH: They're getting Sherri. Just watched a short promo but it didn't say what timeslot. Maybe they'll put it in the morning instead of the 2pm timeslot Wendy is in.

It is interesting that Hearst's WMOR Tampa provides TV Listings on its Web Site!!  I have been trying for years to find Listings on any Hearst Station Web Site!!  Fortunately,  there are plenty of Online Listing Services!!

• Like 1

KDOC in Orange County/LA market changed hands and flipped to religious programming as of late this week.

Between this and the morning news block coming to KCAL, there seem to be a lot of displaced mid- and lower-tier syndicated shows in the area going into the new season.

Edited by patlovestv
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, patlovestv said:

KDOC in Orange County/LA market changed hands and flipped to religious programming as of late this week.

Between this and the morning news block coming to KCAL, there seem to be a lot of displaced mid- and lower-tier syndicated shows in the area going into the new season.

Seinfeld reruns already jumped ship to KCOP, which I assume will pick up more KDOC shows in the fall. You know things are bad for your channel when you've turned over 4 hours of your programming in the afternoon to simulcast Decades!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, hmaxhanson said:

Seinfeld reruns already jumped ship to KCOP, which I assume will pick up more KDOC shows in the fall. You know things are bad for your channel when you've turned over 4 hours of your programming in the afternoon to simulcast Decades!

Until KDOC flipped to religious programming, both stations shared the local syndication rights to the Seinfeld reruns, with KCOP airing two episodes in the 10:00 PM spot, with KDOC airing the same episodes in the 11:00 PM slot.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Joey1986 said:

Until KDOC flipped to religious programming, both stations shared the local syndication rights to the Seinfeld reruns, with KCOP airing two episodes in the 10:00 PM spot, with KDOC airing the same episodes in the 11:00 PM slot.

KTLA already had the Goldbergs, even though they are only airing the primary run at 2am during the week. I’ve noticed a lot of stations are only taking the primary run of that for some reason and/or are airing it in a graveyard slot. 

Edited by Nelson R.

4 hours ago, H-Town TV Fan said:

"Pictionary" is going to KTXH My 20 Vision -- saw a promo for it recently.

Haven’t seen any promos for it yet in Charlotte. My best guess is it’s going to WJZY and/or WMYT. Maybe to replace Good Dish on WJZY.

Well Kelly Clarkson will have a new home in Pittsburgh. 

She'll be on WTAE at 3pm when the new season starts September 12th, replacing Ellen. Seen a promo for it during their 5pm news tonight. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, tjt24 said:

Well Kelly Clarkson will have a new home in Pittsburgh. 

She'll be on WTAE at 3pm when the new season starts September 12th, replacing Ellen. Seen a promo for it during their 5pm news tonight. 

Rescued from the WPXI graveyard!

Edited by Nelson R.
  • Like 3

• 24994J locked this topic