Jump to content

Syndicated News for the 2022-23 TV Season


Recommended Posts

This topic is to discuss news of syndicated TV programs for the upcoming 2022-23 Season.

 

Let's start with Houston: KRIV has already aired promos of Sherri and The Jennifer Hudson Show, both premiering September 12. It'll be interesting to see what the other five stations in Houston are going to do syndication-wise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As I have already stated in last year’s thread, WCCB has already aired a promo for Jennifer Hudson…I think she will likely take Ellen’s 4pm time slot. Also they will air “Your Day With Anna Kooiman” at some point during the day. That is a Bahakel exclusive.  Likely WSOC/WAXN will take Sheri but I don’t know for sure yet. That’s all I know for Charlotte so far.

Edited by Nelson R.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

WXMI Fox17 will be airing Jennifer Hudson no time given I'm guessing 1PM may replace Right This Minute or 2PM replacing Daily Mail TV I'm guessing Fox17 will go a full 2-hour block of Dateline in my opinion as I said in the last years thread as well. Sherri will take over Wendy Williams timeslot 10AM on WOTV maybe it moves but I'd be surprised if it does. I'm waiting for what Wood TV will put on at 3PM replacing Dr, Oz/The Good Dish as I think Ellen timeslot will be a 4PM newscast in my opinion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://tvnewscheck.com/programming/article/allen-media-group-to-launch-we-the-people-with-judge-lauren-lake-in-95-percent-of-u-s/
 

This could go to either WMYT or WAXN in Charlotte. Or even WCCB but they don’t have any court shows. This actually could be WJZY’s replacement for The Good Dish at 1pm, could lead into Judge Mathis and The People’s Court, and/or WMYT’s replacement for The Real at 4pm (leading into the same two shows).

Edited by Nelson R.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Earlier, I said that KPXJ got both Sherri and Jennifer. 

 

Well, looks like KPXJ also got Karamo as well. Jennifer is airing at 2pm, Sherri of course is at 8am (Lord. 🤦🤦🤦

 

Karamo is gonna be on 21 at 10am. So, a 3pm newscast in Shreveport (which I personally enjoy btw) is perfectly fine but you couldn't replace the Doctor(s) with a full 3 hour morning newscast and put Sherri in a more decent slot??

 

 

Edited by ColtFromGulfcoast
Link to comment
Share on other sites

WTXF in Philadelphia is getting Sherri and Jennifer, probably to replace Wendy and Nick or The Real. They still need another hour to fill, though. Maybe Pictionary?
 

I imagine WPHL will be airing Karamo Brown, and WPSG probably got We the People.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As I posted earlier, my Guess is Sherri wil be on WUPW, Jennifer Hudson on WNWO, and We the People on either WUPW or WTVGHD2. 

 

I'm betting that WUPW will have Karamo, probably in the same slot Maury currently airs in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My guesses:

Pictionary: WJZY and maybe WMYT

Karamo: WCCB

Sheri: WSOC/WAXN

We The People: WMYT and maybe WJZY

American Housewife: WCCB

The Neighborhood: WCCB (they could use something different at 7pm)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In the West Palm Beach DMA, I can tell you that Jennifer Hudson is airing at 3pm on WPBF, where Dr.Oz(later the Good Dish) aired. My guess is the debut of a 4pm newscast in Ellen’s soon to be former time slot. Also, I’m Guessing WPTV will air Sherri Shepherd against Jennifer Hudson, but anything goes.

 

Edited by AdamTheJ
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, AdamTheJ said:

My guess is the debut of a 4pm newscast in Ellen’s soon to be former time slot.

Yes the 4PM newscast will begin monday. A programming note has been on Ellen since Monday.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We The People goes to CW7 as they have a couple of court shows to fill & Nick Cannon as well as WXSP has a staple of court shows Judge Mathis & The People's Court along with a few Byron Allen Court Shows along with CW7 as well. WXMI Fox17 will be putting on a weekday show beginning tomorrow Unfitered at 7PM which Friends only EP will be 2:30AM M-Thur as they Just For Laughs at 2:30AM late Fri/early Sat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can finally confirm that Sheri is coming to WSOC starting September 12, just saw a promo on WAXN.

 

And flipped over to WCCB and they are getting Karamo, starting September 19.

Edited by Nelson R.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So far for 2022-23, here is what I do know (or at least can speculate) about Houston:

 

KPRC (Ch.2/NBC): One of the biggest repeat offenders (Conan O'Brien in the 90s, anyone?) of jumbling around NBC's schedule. Entertainment Tonight will still be on at 6:30pm, along with Dr. Phil at 1:00pm with Days of Our Lives at 2:00pm, repeating at 1:05am. The locally produced Houston Life (3:00pm) does not appear to be going anywhere.

 

KHOU (Ch.11/CBS): Not sure as to what will replace Ellen at 3:00pm, or whether or not Great Day Houston (9:00am) remains given that show at last check still is produced in COVID mode. Even if not this season, Wheel of Fortune (6:30pm) could still move over to another particular station with a certain set of mouse ears for an antenna, but until then we'll have to see what Cox does with the station once they take over - either an afternoon hour of Daily Blast Live (if that hasn't been canceled or dropped in preparation for Tegna's sale of 11 to Cox), or perhaps even Dr. Phil, Drew Barrymore (2:00am (!) on Ch.39 now), Kelly Clarkson (definitely more likely Ch.2 though) or Rachael Ray (which has not aired in Houston since KUBE/Ch.57 became an all-shopping tax write-off for Richard French). I will be shocked if they retain Daily Blast Live in the post-James Corden 12:37am timeslot. The main late night Saturday/Sunday CMV serial block (SEAL Team, Bull - both of which no longer air on CBS) might be changing along with Canada's Murdoch Mysteries late Saturday night, but I could be wrong.

 

KTRK (Ch.13/ABC): They will still have Live with Kelly and Ryan at 9:00am and Tamron Hall at 1:00pm, plus Jeopardy! at 11:30am, Inside Edition at 3:30pm and the West Coast feed of World News Tonight after Live and Jeopardy repeat and before Tamron repeats. Next year could certainly be different if 13 were to pick up Wheel and Jeopardy! for prime access (a major improvement for the latter which has to be losing valuable ad dollars in Houston at its midday timeslot, ironic considering the original NBC Jeopardy! aired at lunchtime), but it's hard to justify them dropping their 6:00pm news (or preferably shipping it off to Ch.39) this season if at all. I predict that reruns of The Good Doctor (which is a current ABC show) and 9-1-1 (which is on Fox, not ABC, but is linked corporately to Disney via 20th Century Fox) will replace Wipeout and Castle reruns that air on late nights after Ch.13's late news and Texans highlights shows (for which the latter has low expectations, but at least got rid of their problematic QB who is now Cleveland's problem).

 

KTXH (Ch.20/ MyTV Ind.): Mostly just repeats from its sister station (Fox 26) and the carcass of MyNetworkTV (seriously, kill it off already), but with The Real gone the only things they really have going for it now are The 700 Club in the mornings, 25 Words or Less and Family Feud in the late afternoon/early evening, and off-net Modern Family and Big Bang Theory reruns as well as The Simpsons in prime and late night. I could actually see two particular talk shows debuting on Fox 26 airing their reruns here though. They will have to fill the void where Schitt's Creek and 2 Broke Girls are disappearing in the latter group as well; perhaps American Housewife will go here since it aired around the same time as the latter years of Modern Family on ABC. Access Hollywood is airing in late night at 11:30pm, and might actually benefit from moving over to Fox 26 (see below).

 

KRIV (Fox 26): Wendy Williams has given way to Sherri Shepherd and Jennifer Hudson is coming here as well (as @H-Town TV Fan has already mentioned). However, the cheese holes on Fox 26 go well beyond Wendy - Nick Cannon and The Good Dish are both gone, and there's no telling whether or not Judge Judy's highly rated zombie reruns remain at 4pm. Extra and TMZ Live likely are staying put, as well as the Kelly Clarkson Show (unless that goes to KPRC since KHOU would be more likely to pick up Dr. Phil than Kelly Clarkson to replace Ellen at 3pm), and I could see Divorce Court getting a better timeslot than 1:30am. Pictionary definitely will be airing on Fox 26 along with You Bet Your Life, and could be primed to lead-in to Fox 26's 5pm news if they do the smart thing and move Access Hollywood from late night on KTXH to 6:30pm after its 6pm news (and against ET on KPRC), though I imagine TMZ (which is actually a staple on Fox O&Os) would be preferred over Access here. I'm surprised Dish Nation (1:00am) is still even on.

 

KIAH (CW 39): They'll still have their morning weather and traffic show in the mornings and Judge Mathis and The People's Court afterwards, but Lauren Lake has a new courtroom show courtesy of Byron Allen (which effectively replaces the one that's airing now after Relative Justice in the noon hour), but it's fair to say Karamo will replace Maury (1:00pm) or Jerry Springer (3:00pm) with the former being prioritized more than Springer's in terms of reruns; I see Springer's reruns actually airing in place of the canceled Judge Jerry at 4:00am and Steve Wilkos will still be airing at 2:00pm. The early evening reruns of The Goldbergs, Last Man Standing, Black-ish and Young Sheldon will likely still be there, but I am predicting reruns of The Neighborhood will replace reruns of Mike & Molly or Mom after Two and a Half Men reruns. I know Mike & Molly's reruns are going bye-bye, but I'm not certain about Mom though I will be surprised if they are still on this coming year. Daily Mail TV (3:00am) is gone, and will likely be replaced by Entertainment Studios filler programs, reruns of daytime talk shows or infomercials. Ch.13 will still air its 9:00pm news on Ch.39, but I think they'd be wise to fill the midnight repeat slot with either Friends reruns (which chiefly air on the weekends) or Seinfeld reruns (nonexistent in H-Town since that was the last syndie program Ch.57 dropped when it became a shopping channel) since occasionally they end up not airing the repeat, either airing Friends reruns or a weird combo of partial infomercials and endless advertisements (as happened last Friday night) instead.

 

KTBU (Ch.55): This is the wild card in the whole, longwinded discussion about Houston, and since Quest (the network airing on 55.1) is still going to be a Tegna property and can easily be moved over to the KHOU signal, while the station is primarily being used to give KHOU a UHF home to make up for whatever shortcomings its signal has on its main VHF-based facility, I'm sure Cox will want to take advantage of this extra real estate space to launch a new indie station on the primary Ch.55 signal. The big downside is that the syndicated offerings are likely to be slim pickings for this year and there will likely be a lot of filler programming here should they go the indie route, though it may give Ch.11 an opportunity to air additional newscasts of its own (9:00pm, 7:00-9:00am while the main Ch.11 carries CBS Mornings), etc.) over on Ch.55.

 

If anyone has anything new about Houston (including where iCrime will wind up, likely Ch.39?), feel free to fill me in...

Edited by SS8609
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, SS8609 said:

but Lauren Lake has a new courtroom show courtesy of Byron Allen (which effectively replaces the one that's airing now after Relative Justice in the noon hour

KIAH only has one run of Paternity Court and the new show is an hour long.

Edited by Nelson R.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just saw a short promo for LIVE with Kelly and Ryan on my local FOX station, WRLH. The show is returning to Richmond and it will air at 11am on September 5th (currently the time slot is home to 25 Words or Less and You Bet Your Life with Jay Leno). To be honest, they should have put it at 9am to replace The National Desk. Remember last year, WWBT dropped LIVE from its 10am timeslot for TODAY with Hoda and Jenna and debuted a new 11am newscast, NBC12 News Before Noon.

 

EDIT (4:00pm/ET): Just saw a short promo for Karamo. The show will be on WRLH as well. Didn't say what timeslot.

Edited by tw-804
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wonder what the guest line up of Jennifer's show will look like. Kelly Clarkson was pulling in A list level guests similar to Ellen, I wonder if Husdon will be able to as well. As upset as I was at Steve Harvey's cancelation, The Kelly Clarkson Show has proved to be a delight with decent production values.

 

Sherri Shepard I suppose will feature relality stars like Wendy's show did, unless her line up will be more similar to Nick Cannon's.  

 

Are we feeling the prospect of 9am and 3pm newscasts??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, iron_lion said:

Are we feeling the prospect of 9am and 3pm newscasts??

Whether or not we are, I’d rather ask myself Not whether America really needs all these newscasts, but rather whether Americans WANT them? Are Americans really asking for the end of syndication as we know it? 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, SS8609 said:

So far for 2022-23, here is what I do know (or at least can speculate) about Houston:

 

KPRC (Ch.2/NBC): One of the biggest repeat offenders (Conan O'Brien in the 90s, anyone?) of jumbling around NBC's schedule. Entertainment Tonight will still be on at 6:30pm, along with Dr. Phil at 1:00pm with Days of Our Lives at 2:00pm, repeating at 1:05am. The locally produced Houston Life (3:00pm) does not appear to be going anywhere.

 

KHOU (Ch.11/CBS): Not sure as to what will replace Ellen at 3:00pm, or whether or not Great Day Houston (9:00am) remains given that show at last check still is produced in COVID mode. Even if not this season, Wheel of Fortune (6:30pm) could still move over to another particular station with a certain set of mouse ears for an antenna, but until then we'll have to see what Cox does with the station once they take over - either an afternoon hour of Daily Blast Live (if that hasn't been canceled or dropped in preparation for Tegna's sale of 11 to Cox), or perhaps even Dr. Phil, Drew Barrymore (2:00am (!) on Ch.39 now), Kelly Clarkson (definitely more likely Ch.2 though) or Rachael Ray (which has not aired in Houston since KUBE/Ch.57 became an all-shopping tax write-off for Richard French). I will be shocked if they retain Daily Blast Live in the post-James Corden 12:37am timeslot. The main late night Saturday/Sunday CMV serial block (SEAL Team, Bull - both of which no longer air on CBS) might be changing along with Canada's Murdoch Mysteries late Saturday night, but I could be wrong.

 

KTRK (Ch.13/ABC): They will still have Live with Kelly and Ryan at 9:00am and Tamron Hall at 1:00pm, plus Jeopardy! at 11:30am, Inside Edition at 3:30pm and the West Coast feed of World News Tonight after Live and Jeopardy repeat and before Tamron repeats. Next year could certainly be different if 13 were to pick up Wheel and Jeopardy! for prime access (a major improvement for the latter which has to be losing valuable ad dollars in Houston at its midday timeslot, ironic considering the original NBC Jeopardy! aired at lunchtime), but it's hard to justify them dropping their 6:00pm news (or preferably shipping it off to Ch.39) this season if at all. I predict that reruns of The Good Doctor (which is a current ABC show) and 9-1-1 (which is on Fox, not ABC, but is linked corporately to Disney via 20th Century Fox) will replace Wipeout and Castle reruns that air on late nights after Ch.13's late news and Texans highlights shows (for which the latter has low expectations, but at least got rid of their problematic QB who is now Cleveland's problem).

 

KTXH (Ch.20/ MyTV Ind.): Mostly just repeats from its sister station (Fox 26) and the carcass of MyNetworkTV (seriously, kill it off already), but with The Real gone the only things they really have going for it now are The 700 Club in the mornings, 25 Words or Less and Family Feud in the late afternoon/early evening, and off-net Modern Family and Big Bang Theory reruns as well as The Simpsons in prime and late night. I could actually see two particular talk shows debuting on Fox 26 airing their reruns here though. They will have to fill the void where Schitt's Creek and 2 Broke Girls are disappearing in the latter group as well; perhaps American Housewife will go here since it aired around the same time as the latter years of Modern Family on ABC. Access Hollywood is airing in late night at 11:30pm, and might actually benefit from moving over to Fox 26 (see below).

 

KRIV (Fox 26): Wendy Williams has given way to Sherri Shepherd and Jennifer Hudson is coming here as well (as @H-Town TV Fan has already mentioned). However, the cheese holes on Fox 26 go well beyond Wendy - Nick Cannon and The Good Dish are both gone, and there's no telling whether or not Judge Judy's highly rated zombie reruns remain at 4pm. Extra and TMZ Live likely are staying put, as well as the Kelly Clarkson Show (unless that goes to KPRC since KHOU would be more likely to pick up Dr. Phil than Kelly Clarkson to replace Ellen at 3pm), and I could see Divorce Court getting a better timeslot than 1:30am. Pictionary definitely will be airing on Fox 26 along with You Bet Your Life, and could be primed to lead-in to Fox 26's 5pm news if they do the smart thing and move Access Hollywood from late night on KTXH to 6:30pm after its 6pm news (and against ET on KPRC), though I imagine TMZ (which is actually a staple on Fox O&Os) would be preferred over Access here. I'm surprised Dish Nation (1:00am) is still even on.

 

KIAH (CW 39): They'll still have their morning weather and traffic show in the mornings and Judge Mathis and The People's Court afterwards, but Lauren Lake has a new courtroom show courtesy of Byron Allen (which effectively replaces the one that's airing now after Relative Justice in the noon hour), but it's fair to say Karamo will replace Maury (1:00pm) or Jerry Springer (3:00pm) with the former being prioritized more than Springer's in terms of reruns; I see Springer's reruns actually airing in place of the canceled Judge Jerry at 4:00am and Steve Wilkos will still be airing at 2:00pm. The early evening reruns of The Goldbergs, Last Man Standing, Black-ish and Young Sheldon will likely still be there, but I am predicting reruns of The Neighborhood will replace reruns of Mike & Molly or Mom after Two and a Half Men reruns. I know Mike & Molly's reruns are going bye-bye, but I'm not certain about Mom though I will be surprised if they are still on this coming year. Daily Mail TV (3:00am) is gone, and will likely be replaced by Entertainment Studios filler programs, reruns of daytime talk shows or infomercials. Ch.13 will still air its 9:00pm news on Ch.39, but I think they'd be wise to fill the midnight repeat slot with either Friends reruns (which chiefly air on the weekends) or Seinfeld reruns (nonexistent in H-Town since that was the last syndie program Ch.57 dropped when it became a shopping channel) since occasionally they end up not airing the repeat, either airing Friends reruns or a weird combo of partial infomercials and endless advertisements (as happened last Friday night) instead.

 

KTBU (Ch.55): This is the wild card in the whole, longwinded discussion about Houston, and since Quest (the network airing on 55.1) is still going to be a Tegna property and can easily be moved over to the KHOU signal, while the station is primarily being used to give KHOU a UHF home to make up for whatever shortcomings its signal has on its main VHF-based facility, I'm sure Cox will want to take advantage of this extra real estate space to launch a new indie station on the primary Ch.55 signal. The big downside is that the syndicated offerings are likely to be slim pickings for this year and there will likely be a lot of filler programming here should they go the indie route, though it may give Ch.11 an opportunity to air additional newscasts of its own (9:00pm, 7:00-9:00am while the main Ch.11 carries CBS Mornings), etc.) over on Ch.55.

 

If anyone has anything new about Houston (including where iCrime will wind up, likely Ch.39?), feel free to fill me in...

KPRC within the past few days has started airing a second run of Houston Life at 1:05a instead of a second run of Dr. Phil. I really, really hope they replace the 12:30p one-day-delayed repeat of ET with something else. You’re already airing 90 minutes of midday news. Why not just go for a full two hours?!?
 

28 minutes ago, ColtFromGulfcoast said:

Has Tyler or Austin gotten Tamron Hall back yet?? She never had a Tyler station and then KEYE dropped her a while back. 

Tamron hasn’t resurfaced in Austin as of yet, which is weird because her hometown, Luling, is in the Austin DMA. Maybe KVUE will pick it up to replace Ellen. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, AdamTheJ said:

Whether or not we are, I’d rather ask myself Not whether America really needs all these newscasts, but rather whether Americans WANT them? Are Americans really asking for the end of syndication as we know it? 

I'm not liking the trend of filling programming gaps with news news news to the point of fluff and repeats.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Neither do I, but apparently, this is America, and it’s all about greed. Honestly, if TV is nothing But News, I really don’t see how this makes America the greatest country in the world. Anyone loving all these newscasts must have about as much personality as a slab of wood.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/22/2022 at 6:12 PM, AdamTheJ said:

Whether or not we are, I’d rather ask myself Not whether America really needs all these newscasts, but rather whether Americans WANT them? Are Americans really asking for the end of syndication as we know it? 

Forget whether Americans really want them or not, do people at the stations themselves want these extra newscasts? Especially when stations are already short-staffed and most certainly aren't adding extra bodies for these (both because people don't want to work there and because companies don't want to hire extra labor — it's a two-way street)?

If anything, stations should be dumping newscasts outside of core hours to help give their staff a break. Mornings, noon, 6, and 11pm are all you really need. The 9ams, 3pms, 4pms, 7pms, weekend morning shows of the world can go if you don't have the staff. Not only is it overkill and repetitive, but it's a lot of work when most stations are stretching their staffs thin. If you have to make your people pull double shifts to get both the morning and evening shows on the air, that's a problem. If you have college interns anchoring your weekend morning show because no one else wants to do it, that's a problem.

Although I'll argue that syndication has not been very compelling the past few years and has gotten pretty cliche. It's either "talk show with big name celebrity" or court show. There's no ifs, ands, or buts. These companies really need to do something different.

 

I'd also love to see a local station do something other than news or pay-for-play, but unfortunately local stations stopped being daring and creative once quirky local individuals sold their stations to hedge funds.

(I will give Graham Media Group credit in San Antonio, KSAT can and has produced a lot of non-news local shows in the past couple of years, mostly for their digital platforms but they'll air it on TV as weekend filler, most notably Texas Eats)

Edited by sanewsguy
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, sanewsguy said:

Forget whether Americans really want them or not, do people at the stations themselves want these extra newscasts? Especially when stations are already short-staffed and most certainly aren't adding extra bodies for these (both because people don't want to work there and because companies don't want to hire extra labor — it's a two-way street)?

If anything, stations should be dumping newscasts outside of core hours to help give their staff a break. Mornings, noon, 6, and 11pm are all you really need. The 9ams, 3pms, 4pms, 7pms, weekend morning shows of the world can go if you don't have the staff. Not only is it overkill and repetitive, but it's a lot of work when most stations are stretching their staffs thin. If you have to make your people pull double shifts to get both the morning and evening shows on the air, that's a problem. If you have college interns anchoring your weekend morning show because no one else wants to do it, that's a problem.


I’ve come around to thinking this way myself, but in all likelihood, station groups will continue to add newscasts for the time being. The amount of ad revenue they generate will be attractive to station owners, and they don’t yet see the implications of overworking the staff. There has to be some sort of breaking point for this expansion, but I don’t see it happening yet.

 

If they don’t slash the non-core time-slots entirely, I’d like to see stations do news differently in those time slots. I’d love to see a local Ros Atkins-type analysis show at 4pm, where major stories are broken down/explained, and multiple perspectives are examined.
 

I actually give Tegna a bit of credit for trying alternative newscasts in certain time slots at KUSA and KTVB. I personally wish they would focus more on analysis instead of commentary/opinion, and Kyle Clark can come across as being a bit arrogant at times, but the format seems to work, at least at those stations. Plus, they relieve the pressure on the rest of the staff and make the station stand out.

 

30 minutes ago, sanewsguy said:

I'd also love to see a local station do something other than news or pay-for-play, but unfortunately local stations stopped being daring and creative once quirky local individuals sold their stations to hedge funds.


I don’t think they have to revive “Bozo the Clown” or anything, but it would be refreshing to see local stations produce their own content. The way the TV market is going, they might just need to in order to stay relevant. The networks are prioritizing streaming, and the affiliates have become a secondary concern (Ex: CBS was willing to leave top-rated WRAL for basement-dweller WNCN just so they could receive reverse compensation.) Producing local programming other than news and the generic pay-for-play crap would at least be a step in making stations more relevant in their own communities again.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, sanewsguy said:

Forget whether Americans really want them or not, do people at the stations themselves want these extra newscasts? Especially when stations are already short-staffed and most certainly aren't adding extra bodies for these (both because people don't want to work there and because companies don't want to hire extra labor — it's a two-way street)?

If anything, stations should be dumping newscasts outside of core hours to help give their staff a break. Mornings, noon, 6, and 11pm are all you really need. The 9ams, 3pms, 4pms, 7pms, weekend morning shows of the world can go if you don't have the staff. Not only is it overkill and repetitive, but it's a lot of work when most stations are stretching their staffs thin. If you have to make your people pull double shifts to get both the morning and evening shows on the air, that's a problem. If you have college interns anchoring your weekend morning show because no one else wants to do it, that's a problem.

Although I'll argue that syndication has not been very compelling the past few years and has gotten pretty cliche. It's either "talk show with big name celebrity" or court show. There's no ifs, ands, or buts. These companies really need to do something different.

 

I'd also love to see a local station do something other than news or pay-for-play, but unfortunately local stations stopped being daring and creative once quirky local individuals sold their stations to hedge funds.

(I will give Graham Media Group credit in San Antonio, KSAT can and has produced a lot of non-news local shows in the past couple of years, mostly for their digital platforms but they'll air it on TV as weekend filler, most notably Texas Eats)


WGN had been using weekends a few weeks ago for original content like Chicago’s Best and Living Healthy Chicago. Currently, they only have Backstory with Larry Potash, but they recently launched a new longform documentary division called WGN Films. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using TVNewsTalk you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.