WBZ/Boston (and other CBS O&Os?) to Rebrand Newscasts?

bostonmediaguy

Is there any evidence that they are adopting these names? Can they not use both their current names and the CBS NEWS (CITY NAME) concurrently. Use the current names for the traditional newscasts and the city name ones for digital/streaming/online and non-traditional newscasts like the ones on the sister stations. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

Is there any evidence that they are adopting these names? Can they not use both their current names and the CBS NEWS (CITY NAME) concurrently. Use the current names for the traditional newscasts and the city name ones for digital/streaming/online and non-traditional newscasts like the ones on the sister stations. 

There was a promo video posted in the WCBS thread about a Jets show they air that had the “CBS New York” branding on it instead of “CBS 2”. KCNC is gearing up to rebrand to “CBS Colorado” and the 9am newscast they launched this week is called “CBS Colorado Mornings”. WWJ has already rebranded itself to “CBS Detroit” and their entire news department will be called “CBS News Detroit”. And when KCAL launches their new morning newscast in a month or two, it certainly won’t be called “KCAL 9 News Mornings” since KCBS will simulcast an hour of that show at 6am in between their double-run of CBS Mornings. Not to mention WFOR has been teasing a rebrand to “CBS News Miami” for a few months now.

The evidence is overwhelming at this point.

Edited by Georgie56
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

40 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

There was a promo video posted in the WCBS thread about a Jets show they air that had the “CBS New York” branding on it instead of “CBS 2”. KCNC is gearing up to rebrand to “CBS Colorado” and the 9am newscast they launched this week is called “CBS Colorado Mornings”. WWJ has already rebranded itself to “CBS Detroit” and their entire news department will be called “CBS News Detroit”. And when KCAL launches their new morning newscast in a month or two, it certainly won’t be called “KCAL 9 News Mornings” since KCBS will simulcast an hour of that show at 6am in between their double-run of CBS Mornings. Not to mention WFOR has been teasing a rebrand to “CBS News Miami” for a few months now.

The evidence is overwhelming at this point.

Not to mention the leaked videos that Mike and Owen posted a few weeks ago. I think the channel numbers are gonzo.

• Like 3

KPIX finally launched a new morning show on KBCW called CBS NEWS Bay Area: Morning Edition.

The newscast is mostly News driven and not like it’s sister station KOVR/KMAX with the “Good Day” format. 

Prior to the launch, they have been only simulcasting KPIX from 5-7am then straight to Paid Programming.  

As of this week they dropped the 5am hour simulcast for syndication programming. 6am is still a simulcast KPIX 5 NEWS at 6am.

7-9am is CBS NEWS Bay Area: Morning Edition.

With KTVU and KRON dominating the mornings. Hopefully KBCW will at least get some viewership.

Edited by SFTV

15 minutes ago, SFTV said:

CBS NEWS Bay Area: Morning Edition

Are these stations getting paid by the letter/word?

'CBS [Market] MORNINGS' (KCNC and WBBM are two that come to mind) surely gets the job done, in a more concise manner.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 24994J said:

'CBS [Market] MORNINGS' (KCNC and WBBM are two that come to mind) surely gets the job done, in a more concise manner.

I was actually watching that newscast yesterday and there was no mention of that name anywhere. It used the existing KPIX 5 News branding. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

I was actually watching that newscast yesterday and there was no mention of that name anywhere. It used the existing KPIX 5 News branding. 

Right? My DVR has the new branding.

I was hoping a custom morning open and updated bug, yet they’re still using the KPIX 5 Bug. 

When they had a 10pm newscast pre pandemic, they at least had the KBCW bug instead.

The only mention of CBS NEWS Bay Area Branding is only on the 6 and 7pm with the custom open “CBS NEWS Bay Area with Juliette Goodrich” but the DVR still says KPIX 5 News at 6pm

• Confused 1

I actually don't see completely getting rid of the channel number being a good move.  Several of the CBS O&Os are heritage stations from the start up of television, over 70 years old.  Throughout the years, most people refer to them as Channel 2, Channel 4 etc. Considering local news skews older demographically, those are the folks that are used to watching Channel 2 most of their lives and will refer to it that way. If the heritage channel numbers weren't important, why did they all push for virtual channel numbers when they converted to digital TV?  The non station branding is fine, NBC has done that for years, but they did not abandon channel numbers either.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, 24994J said:

CBS [Market] MORNINGS' (KCNC and WBBM are two that come to mind) surely gets the job done, in a more concise manner.

KTVU has “Mornings on 2”, and KGO used “ABC7 Mornings” for a while. Probably didn’t want to muddle the market with the “Mornings” name

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hmaxhanson said:

Looks like the Eyewitness News name is staying, and it looks pretty good in the CBS font.

I hope it stays. Let's not have them repeat what they did in 1991 (although their '91 rebranding made me a fan of the station ironically; TT Norms would look good on the EWN name)

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, iron_lion said:

Eyewitness News would have been the perfect branding for CBS O&Os had ABC not taken it.

KDKA had the Eyewitness News name until '96, 'BZ had it until '93, and 'JZ had it until either '17 or '18. It would be nice if the EWN name would make a comeback on KD, BZ, and JZ. And personally, I wish my home station had the EWN name in DFW.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, TexasTVNews said:

KDKA had the Eyewitness News name until '96, 'BZ had it until '93, and 'JZ had it until either '17 or '18. It would be nice if the EWN name would make a comeback on KD, BZ, and JZ. And personally, I wish my home station had the EWN name in DFW.

Don’t forget KPIX too. I’ve always felt the Eyewitness News name was a better fit for CBS stations as their logo is an eye. 

And the Action News name would be a better fit for ABC stations solely because they both start with A’s. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, TVNewsLover said:

Don’t forget KPIX too. I’ve always felt the Eyewitness News name was a better fit for CBS stations as their logo is an eye. 

And the Action News name would be a better fit for ABC stations solely because they both start with A’s. 

I forgot all about PIX! Thanks for that.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, SS8609 said:

Except CBS sold their Austin outlet (KEYE) long ago to the same PE firm (Cerberus) notorious for not saving Chrysler in the Great Recession...

Austin wasn’t work out kinda like WNCN in Raleigh. And as MG did Cerberus did a lot of damage to KEYE.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/14/2022 at 5:11 PM, 24994J said:

Exactly!!!

On 12/19/2022 at 4:02 PM, Georgie56 said:

KPIX ended up being first out the gate.

Well, here we are in January and exactly what was propheseised has occured.

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure where to post this...Why exactly are CBS O&Os less successful than than Fox, ABC and NBC stations? Does the 1994 realignment where CBS lost NFL rights --and subsequently affiliates--to Fox tie into this? I've also heard Westinghouse ownership cited as a reasoning. It's an interesting contrast as CBS has been king of daytime and primetime for several years now. 

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2023 at 4:27 AM, iron_lion said:

Not sure where to post this...Why exactly are CBS O&Os less successful than than Fox, ABC and NBC stations? Does the 1994 realignment where CBS lost NFL rights --and subsequently affiliates--to Fox tie into this? I've also heard Westinghouse ownership cited as a reasoning. It's an interesting contrast as CBS has been king of daytime and primetime for several years now. 

Years and years and years of mismanagement.

• Like 2