WBZ/Boston (and other CBS O&Os?) to Rebrand Newscasts?

bostonmediaguy

7 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

Atlanta and Detroit’s cut-ins are produced out of KTVT, Seattle’s is produced from KPIX, and Tampa’s is from WBZ.

Did production for WTOG's news move from Dallas to Boston?

The hybrid national/local broadcast is not a new concept. In fact, CBS and Group W partnered on a very similar effort in the mid '90s called Day & Date, which had local cut-ins and national segments. The program started out news/topical, but later moved toward tabloid and entertainment. It aired in the afternoons leading into local stations' news blocks.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

Here’s the full debut edition of the show, recorded off WBFS.

No offense to anybody, but I only made it about 2 minutes before I couldn't take it anymore.  The guy with the high pitched voice was annoying and Elliot Rodriguez put me to sleep.

Nobody's going to dial up a station in the nose bleed section of UHF to watch another boring newscast. Entertain me.

Also, how is it this any different than Sinclair's NewsCentral? And why aren't your heads all exploding like they were when Sinclair tried to do it?

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, DirtyHarry said:

No offense to anybody, but I only made it about 2 minutes before I couldn't take it anymore.  The guy with the high pitched voice was annoying and Elliot Rodriguez put me to sleep.

Nobody's going to dial up a station in the nose bleed section of UHF to watch another boring newscast. Entertain me.

Also, how is it this any different than Sinclair's NewsCentral? And why aren't your heads all exploding like they were when Sinclair tried to do it?

Because it’s a left wing network and Sinclair is not . Anyways, They are just trying to get ad revenue that’s all this is . I don’t see why they just don’t make it a regular local newscast live to tape , with maybe one or two  of live reports edited in to make it seem live. All the back and fourth take WFOR for example ,Tom Hansen in NY talking national then Elliot Rodriguez doing a cut in from Miami then having WFORs meteorologist then a CBS national meteorologist is just plain stupid . If they want New York to make the newscast they should have them do the whole thing . It won’t take that long (similar to radio because they won’t have to wait for reports to air and commercials, they will be

able to tape the whole newscast in 15-20 min .Then have a producer insert the local reports. Then pull a WNYW and just tell a feel good story at the end and say good night . Cheap and simple but of course CBS is always ass backwards.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

Probably because they’re putting it on stations that were pulling zeros the ratings even when they had actual newscasts (and not, say, KCAL.) This newscast is not good, but it’s not supposed to be. It’s cheap by design. It’s there for the ad revenue, not public service. Unfortunate, but that’s the way the business has gone.

FWIW, Detroit’s situation should be somewhat rectified when they launch their own news department, so they probably won’t be outsourcing the local segments for long. I doubt this is CBS’ idea of a new news operation.

It should be noted that we were all wrong when we called this a rebrand, which it isn’t. It’s a completely different program. Mea culpa.

• Like 4

This will be chasing the lawyer and political money - hell, I wouldn’t be surprised if we end up with a segment sponsored by a sports book since that money was still flying around for a bit. 

This isn’t for ratings, it’s for revenue - and it’s a whole hour they control the ad slots. If it gets some eyeballs, great, but that’s lagniappe. 

And it also gives them “unique” content for the local CBS News steaming stations, which explains the branding.

• Like 3

You can charge a little more for ads that are in local news time. That's what buyers want. In case where CBS is competing against one of its own affiliates, it sounds like they hired a couple of people to slap some local news together, but most of the hour is canned material from the network, or from an out-of-market O&O.

Here is Seattle's A-block.

Edited by TheRob
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, TheRob said:

You can charge a little more for ads that are in local news time. That's what buyers want. In case where CBS is competing against one of its own affiliates, it sounds like they hired a couple of people to slap some local news together, but most of the hour is canned material from the network, or from an out-of-market O&O.

While they’re at it, they might as well throw some ads on the headline ticker, since they aren’t using it for, you know, headlines.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TheRob said:

I knew it would be taped!! Darren’s weather hit did show some poor quality when they ran the tape on its KBCW show.

so how would this work if it’s breaking news? 🙄

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, SFTV said:

I knew it would be taped!! Darren’s weather hit did show some poor quality when they ran the tape on its KBCW show.

so how would this work if it’s breaking news? 🙄

Breaking news will not exist for them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

23 hours ago, Kenneth Kissel said:

For now. WPCW (KDKA-TV's sister station) still has the 2020 KDKA look. Thank goodness. 

Screenshot_20220721-220108_SSTV Smarters Pro v3.jpg

Because the NOW brand wasn’t meant to replace existing newscasts. 

As if those black and gold graphics weren’t ugly enough on their own. Paired with that green CW logo 🤮

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 7/20/2022 at 10:56 AM, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

KTVT's Karen Borta did Atlanta and Detroit's CBS News Now's

Wow. How early are these newscasts being recorded? Karen recently moved to a “family friendly” shift, doing the 11a and 4p newscasts for KTVT. The whole point was to be able to have dinner with her kids. (She did evenings for years, before moving to mornings.) So they must be recording these in the middle of the afternoon. Like 2p or 3p. 

• Like 3

On 7/20/2022 at 9:53 AM, TheRob said:

Two comments: 

1) It seems like they are going about this backwards. I think you should start with local and then cut over to CBS NewsCentral. 🤣

2) What a jarring difference in picture quality between the national feed and what they have in Seattle. Is CBS really that cheap? Can't they send over a used camera from one of their other stations?

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Tyler said:

As if those black and gold graphics weren’t ugly enough on their own. Paired with that green CW logo 🤮

The CW logo need to be gold along with the rest of the package (that is my only complaint). KDKA-TV'S balck and gold look has grown on me and I still hope when the new CBS O&O package launches, that they keep it. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tyler said:

The better-performing newscasts on the non-CBS stations aren’t going anywhere. That goes for WPCW’s 10pm news and all newscasts on KCAL 9. I’m pleasantly surprised that WSBK kept their 8pm, which makes sense since they’re the only Boston station carrying news at that hour.

• Like 4

On 7/20/2022 at 4:54 AM, DirtyHarry said:

Yeah, I also think Elliot Rodriguez stinks. He can’t hold a candle to Antonio Mora. Honestly, I’m asking how the hell he is still on CBS4. Must be Nepotism. M-Fin’ Nepotism. The moment he’s finally gone, likely by retirement, I’ll start watching CBS 4 again.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

Caught this interesting tidbit from tonight’s 7pm news on WFOR. The open transitions into a “Next Weather” intro, with “CBS News Miami” branding. Complete absence of “CBS4” in that weather intro too.

Alright, you’ve all convinced me. The local identities are likely going away.

All the evidence is overwhelming at this point. Say goodbye to channel numbers on CBS O&Os this fall.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1