WTKR is updating their set.

Kenneth Kissel

What is it with these stations changing out sets when they aren’t even 8 years old? Granted, this isn’t as egregious as, say, KDVR ripping their studio apart after just 3 years, but still. Hopefully, their new one at least has a longer shelf life, because this trend is getting ridiculous imo.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

What is it with these stations changing out sets when they aren’t even 8 years old? Granted, this isn’t as egregious as, say, KDVR ripping their studio apart after just 3 years, but still. Hopefully, their new one at least has a longer shelf life, because this trend is getting ridiculous imo.

And not just sets that are not old but the decent sets (and young) sets while the ugly, old ones seem to stick around for various stations

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sendir said:

Has a scripps station debuted a new set with the current graphics package?

WPTV debuted their current set last July while having the current graphics package since 2020. As I recall, someone had said it was really blue... just like the graphics :)

• Like 1

On 7/2/2022 at 9:54 AM, nycnewsjunkie said:

I think the issue is more with technology just being too fast through the 2010s; you were dealing with DLP projectors and plasmas being the top technologies at that time...which required a whole lot of power and space to operate and maintain, along with most still being stuck on the 50s-era lighting that made a television studio a sauna despite being able to junk the CRTs. With syndication still lively, sets in the past were used five-six hours, tops, so looks were put over comfort (and don't forget the stupid late-10s 'standing' trend). The other thing was that those first HD sets were just built to 'pop' on an HD screen, or you had stations like Young building a very cheap default template where the only customization available was some glass inserts, your slogan, and a couple of beauty shots.

Now you've got flat LED screens, light bars, quieter and more efficient AC cooling, and with syndication dying court show by court show, those sets are getting up to twelve hours of use, you gain a lot of that space back where lighting, duratrans and screen hardware were taking up space, and the gaudy design trends of the HD launch era have long settled down. You're looking for any way to both save money and make sure a set isn't going to wear out from multiple shifts, and it's better to junk a set that's costing more money just to light and keep active than a new one heavy on LED screens and light bars, is designed for actual people, and has more overall flexibility to be used for social stuff.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6

I, too, thought the same thing... "A new set already? Seems like the old one just got finished!" But 6 years is a good run for the old set. Time's just moving faster, I suppose.

It's about the average lifespan of most of WTKR's sets the past ~30 years

2016-2022 set

2000-2016 set (with numerous facelifts)

1995-2000 set

1992-1995 set (with a major rehaul in 1994)

Edited by Ntropolis
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Ntropolis said:

I, too, thought the same thing... "A new set already? Seems like the old one just got finished!" But 6 years is a good run for the old set. Time's just moving faster, I suppose.

It's about the average lifespan of most of WTKR's sets the past ~30 years

2016-2022 set

2000-2016 set (with numerous facelifts)

1995-2000 set

1992-1995 set (with a major rehaul in 1994)

I loved this version of the 2000 set when WTKR went HD in 2008. This was their best look of the LocalTV/Tribune Era.

This is also known as the Pinball Graphics Version 1. 

Screenshot_20220710-091119.jpg

Edited by Kenneth Kissel

• 2 months later...

Going to make a guess here that the chroma key backdrop isn't permanent. It looks really cheap for a set this nice. Would put money on that space supposed to be containing an LED wall, and the particular one they bought is held up due to supply chain issues.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Weeters said:

Going to make a guess here that the chroma key backdrop isn't permanent. It looks really cheap for a set this nice. Would put money on that space supposed to be containing an LED wall, and the particular one they bought is held up due to supply chain issues.

I can confirm this is *exactly* what’s happening.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, MidwestTV said:

Not sure why those 'i's need to be yellow, but otherwise it looks good.

Before the slogan was shown in the opens, it was used in a promo (it's an emphasis on the "I"). I recently saw it while watching News 3 on the WTKR Roku app.

• Like 1

Watching the live stream that chromakey works well for the tight shot - better than a too-close-up on a physical screen...whether or not they planned on using the green screen.

Nice to see some sets with warmer tones / wood showing up again. The soft blue gradient helps the talent pop and they avoided using stark pure white for the borders which is less jarring than some other sets of the last several years. 

The slogan on the desk is tacky and distracting. 

And with these much larger sets why are the 4 shots at the anchor desks so cramped looking like an overcrowded sofa in a too small living room for a party. I don't think the anchors are actually any closer together than a less cramped look, but there's something about the shot angle (too high?) and maybe too many competing elements. I'm not a set designer so can't really diagnose...

Edited by sfomspphl
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...