Olympic Channel shutting down

The Frog

1 hour ago, The Frog said:

I've said here in the past that I thought the Olympic Channel would cease before NBCSN ever did. It doesn't surprise me as it doesn't have too many viewers outside of the actual Olympics.

Who knows if the Golf Channel will stick around or will their programming might eventually get moved over to Peacock as well? 

I've liked their programming in the past, but NBC has so many cable stations that they may be reinventing the wheel with certain things. Too bad. Certain olympic sports need better exposure for better understanding and following.

• Like 2

There's just too many cable networks that could easily be a streaming service option, so I'm glad NBC is cutting weight on this (it seems like they only ever carried it because of pressure from the IOC president, not any viewer demand). And it pretty much seems like Oxygen going OTA in O&O markets means that network is next.

But it shouldn't be on NBC and Disney alone to cut useless networks (there Disney XD and Junior are a Spectrum or Comcast RTC contract away from leaving the air going by the international wind-downs for D+). There are several networks literally only existent to carry two prime series with no reruns, and then 90s sitcoms for the other 166 hours, and the output of VH1 and MTV2 can easily be merged onto MTV without any viewer revolts. Same with a lot of Discovery's networks and TruTV, and FYI and Vice could go for A&E, while WeTV at this point could be an AMC+ hub.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, mrschimpf said:

There's just too many cable networks that could easily be a streaming service option, so I'm glad NBC is cutting weight on this (it seems like they only ever carried it because of pressure from the IOC president, not any viewer demand). And it pretty much seems like Oxygen going OTA in O&O markets means that network is next.

But it shouldn't be on NBC and Disney alone to cut useless networks (there Disney XD and Junior are a Spectrum or Comcast RTC contract away from leaving the air going by the international wind-downs for D+). There are several networks literally only existent to carry two prime series with no reruns, and then 90s sitcoms for the other 166 hours, and the output of VH1 and MTV2 can easily be merged onto MTV without any viewer revolts. Same with a lot of Discovery's networks and TruTV, and FYI and Vice could go for A&E, while WeTV at this point could be an AMC+ hub.

I hope Oxygen stays on OTA if it were to disappear on cable/satellite. 

Disney Junior and XD would make sense with Disney+ being popular as is.

VH1 might get some revolt due to the station's heritage. I don't think MTV2 has been ever that popular. MTV Classic could easily move to Pluto TV in the music category. 

I'm thinking Destination America, American Heroes Channel and Discovery Family might be on the chopping block. TruTV just has Impractical Jokers and that's about it, maybe move it to TBS.  

FYI and Vice are pretty much reruns of A&E shows, same with Crime + Investigation. WeTV could easily be an AMC+ hub if the service is successful.

NBCU has been cutting channels even before cord cutting became big, starting with the original G4, then Cloo, then Esquire Network, then NBCSN and now this. I'm wondering about CNBC World.