KXAN set

ScottSchell

4 hours ago, ATLNewsExpert said:

Dang that's a shame, it's an ok set, maybe an update would have been ok but not a complete overall!

This is what happens with Nexstar stations. WTTV, KDVR and now KXAN gets a new set but refuses to pay their creative and air staff what they are worth. This tells you all you need to know about the group. They care little about people.

Edited by ABC 7 Denver
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

This is what happens with Nexstar stations. WTTV, KDVR and now KXAS gets a new set but refuses to pay their creative and air staff what they are worth. This tells you all you need to know about the group. They care little about people.

KXAS already updated it news set and wx center, and WTTV already have a new set.

Edited by TexasTVNews

This is the temp set. The lighting on some of the shots is horrid. Weather and sports are purely green screen. They said on air the studio — which is really small — will be doubled in size. Not really sure how they’ll do that. Having been in the building before, things are really cramped. In fact, several employees are in a building across the street. They were at a couple points in recent years looking to build a whole new facility … but clearly that’s not going to happen. Main anchor said during the 6p news the project will take “a few months.” Any bets on them get the infamous Nexstar corner set?

And, yes, I agree they don’t need a new set. In Austin, KEYE is the station that desperately needs a new set. That thing has been around for about a decade now, with a few tweaks along the way. It has an outdated weather center that hasn’t been seen on the air in several years. And they had to cover up the skyline duratrans with a backlit blue checkerboard pattern because the skyline has changed so much. 

C56973C7-E218-4DF5-950C-476D805ECE07.jpeg

Edited by Greggo

36 minutes ago, Greggo said:

This is the temp set. The lighting on some of the shots is horrid. Weather and sports are purely green screen. They said on air the studio — which is really small — will be doubled in size. Not really sure how they’ll do that. Having been in the building before, things are really cramped. In fact, several employees are in a building across the street. They were at a couple points in recent years looking to build a whole new facility … but clearly that’s not going to happen. Main anchor said during the 6p news the project will take “a few months.” Any bets on them get the infamous Nexstar corner set?

And, yes, I agree they don’t need a new set. In Austin, KEYE is the station that desperately needs a new set. That thing has been around for about a decade now, with a few tweaks along the way. It has an outdated weather center that hasn’t been seen on the air in several years. And they had to cover up the skyline duratrans with a backlit blue checkerboard pattern because the skyline has changed so much. 

THATS the temporary set? Gosh I know they aren't ment to be elaborate but that looks more like the corner of a copy shop, especially with the fact this will be used for "a few months"!

You can just see this staff cursing about KMOV getting a new building, and they're stuck in this nightmare maze of four buildings which are jerry-rigged together and keep having new add-ons every few years, with a fifth across the street because they somehow ran out of room in that four-building centipede! 😩

• Like 1

Man, Nexstar loves to waste their money, don’t they? They could spend some money on employee benefits, special projects, investigative journalism, adding original reporting/programming for their 10 hour/day news network, a new building for KXAN (as previously mentioned), replacing sets that actually need replacing…Nah, let’s blow all our cash on dumping a perfectly good set and replacing it with something that’ll look noticeably worse. And you better believe we’re gonna shove that desk in the corner.

Seriously, who is in charge of their finances? Xzibit? #PimpMyStudio

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Greggo said:

Looks like storage room B.

Is Milton still getting a check, or has Uncle Perry "fixed the glitch?"

Milton-Waddams-Office-Space-Storage-Room-B-600x450 - BetterCloud

• Haha 3

54 minutes ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

Man, Nexstar loves to waste their money, don’t they? They could spend some money on employee benefits, special projects, investigative journalism, adding original reporting/programming for their 10 hour/day news network, a new building for KXAN (as previously mentioned), replacing sets that actually need replacing…Nah, let’s blow all our cash on dumping a perfectly good set and replacing it with something that’ll look noticeably worse. And you better believe we’re gonna shove that desk in the corner.

Seriously, who is in charge of their finances? Xzibit? #PimpMyStudio

I swear to God if I see another set with a desk shoved in the corner I'm going to SCREAM!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would have to go digging but they actually had a temp set not that long ago where they were essentially delivering the news in front of a black blanket. I couldn’t believe it. This was either under LIN or MG management. So this actually is a big improvement, if you can believe it. 

• Sad 1

On 6/27/2022 at 6:13 PM, Greggo said:

They said on air the studio — which is really small — will be doubled in size. Not really sure how they’ll do that.

The studio where Studio 512 originated pre-pandemic (it's still being done from the hosts' homes, based on the videos on kxan.com) is connected to the news studio by a double door. I assume they're going to knock out the wall with that door and merge the two studios. ISTR that the adjacent studio was also where they stuck the temporary set the last couple times they redid the main studio, so them being in a different part of the building this time would also seem to point that way.

23 hours ago, Greggo said:

I would have to go digging but they actually had a temp set not that long ago where they were essentially delivering the news in front of a black blanket. I couldn’t believe it. This was either under LIN or MG management. So this actually is a big improvement, if you can believe it. 

The set that was just decommissioned came in in 2016, so it was under Media General. That backdrop started out as part of the permanent set in the mid-2000s, but the switch to HD, having a monitor stuck in front of it, and not being properly lit or hung on the temp set made it look awful. I did some quick digging on YouTube and grabbed screen shots.

2005 permanent set

1512674373_ksan2005.thumb.jpg.a53dffd808d85e349adcb93ab6320621.jpg

2016 temp set

1720464219_kxantemp1.thumb.jpg.63a648404113ab401a5e7daf3886ee90.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Wondering if we are seeing parts of the future KXAN set in tonight’s gubernatorial debate? This is quite an elaborate setup to only use on an occasional basis. For those not in Texas, it’s being held at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley campus. I guess we shall see …

78DC5239-2DE7-4619-A332-15C3F309B0DC.jpeg

Edited by Greggo

On 9/30/2022 at 8:30 PM, Greggo said:

Wondering if we are seeing parts of the future KXAN set in tonight’s gubernatorial debate? This is quite an elaborate setup to only use on an occasional basis. For those not in Texas, it’s being held at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley campus. I guess we shall see …

78DC5239-2DE7-4619-A332-15C3F309B0DC.jpeg

That’s a traveling set they use for town halls, etc. It’s likely the next stop for that set will be Savannah.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nothing much to see from the debate itself. The only shot besides the candidate podiums was a very tight shot of the anchors/moderators at a tiny desk with a dead screen and a monitor array behind. The desk isn't completely identical to the one from the temporary set, but it looks close.

Seeing that desk and wondering if it's going to be the permanent anchor desk makes me realize just how much I dislike the tiny desk trend. KXAN's old desk did a really good job of having room for four people but not looking too big for just one or two.

s image.thumb.png.ca5ede83887bfd927cc1eea925b90621.png

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Curious what's going on over at KXAN. They're still using the temporary studio, going on a full month after the new set's cameo during the Austin mayoral runoff debate. Guess now they're just waiting for the February book before moving in?