WPIX new studio

dabx

11 hours ago, KentBrockman said:

So what you’re saying is, they’ve been in the same space the entire time? Why does it feel like the ceiling used to be higher?

And maybe now, looking at a clearer version, the old 2000s set was just a great optical illusion because I remember it being a lot more expansive and larger than it actually looks.

Which begs my next question, when they blew up into full iPad mode in 2010, were they on the second floor or on the tenth floor?

Am I the only one confused by WPIX’s setup?

The studio pipe grid is noted in the plans as having a height of 13' 2" (The portion of the building the studio is in is physically incapable of having a grid height higher than this), and remained in place during the demolition and rebuild. That seems about right for pictures from the early 2000's set. The last set did seem a little shorter, so perhaps the lighting was brought lower by way of stirrups, but it's hard to tell. The scale on the plans also show the studio pre-renovation as having dimensions roughly 65' by 46', which would be roughly 80' by 49' after the remodel, with the removal of the technical and mechanical rooms. There was also what appears to be a noise trap along an exterior wall (The same wall that features windows in the newsroom) that was removed.

The early 2000's set had a "soft news" morning show portion not visible in the above screenshot, but if you look closely, it appears you can see part of the floor pattern for this area under the center and right camera. The camera taking that spy cam shot was probably mounted near the top of the set wall, either on the set itself or from the grid. I wouldn't be surprised if the news desk platform slid backwards to give the cameras more space to move when shooting the opposite direction. The set being "large" was 100% an optical illusion, like most news sets.

The second floor newsroom wasn't touched much through it's life. After they moved news into the studio, the former studio portion of the newsroom was tiled over until the iPad Graphics debut. The real mystery is what they originally planned to do with the space once the 10th floor Newsroom opened a few years ago. It's possible the general concept of renovating the space was a long time in the making, and started under Tribune.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Looking good, nice depth and spaciousness despite the smallish studio 

The giant monitor on the desk with a big logo feels heavy...takes away from the talent...I'd rather they were more subtle with branding and used the overhead header for branding, but those are easy tweaks with the setup. 

Edited by sfomspphl

On 2/2/2023 at 10:52 PM, Weeters said:

The studio pipe grid is noted in the plans as having a height of 13' 2" (The portion of the building the studio is in is physically incapable of having a grid height higher than this), and remained in place during the demolition and rebuild. That seems about right for pictures from the early 2000's set. The last set did seem a little shorter, so perhaps the lighting was brought lower by way of stirrups, but it's hard to tell. The scale on the plans also show the studio pre-renovation as having dimensions roughly 65' by 46', which would be roughly 80' by 49' after the remodel, with the removal of the technical and mechanical rooms. There was also what appears to be a noise trap along an exterior wall (The same wall that features windows in the newsroom) that was removed.

The early 2000's set had a "soft news" morning show portion not visible in the above screenshot, but if you look closely, it appears you can see part of the floor pattern for this area under the center and right camera. The camera taking that spy cam shot was probably mounted near the top of the set wall, either on the set itself or from the grid. I wouldn't be surprised if the news desk platform slid backwards to give the cameras more space to move when shooting the opposite direction. The set being "large" was 100% an optical illusion, like most news sets.

The second floor newsroom wasn't touched much through it's life. After they moved news into the studio, the former studio portion of the newsroom was tiled over until the iPad Graphics debut. The real mystery is what they originally planned to do with the space once the 10th floor Newsroom opened a few years ago. It's possible the general concept of renovating the space was a long time in the making, and started under Tribune.

Thank you very much for the detailed analysis @Weeters! I feel like I have a much better understanding now.

On 2/5/2023 at 12:29 AM, nycnewsjunkie said:

The set looks great, but if they end up using these graphics (see below) in market #1, I might just vomit.

11 hours ago, Bsean said:

Ohhhhhhhhh no! 😳😳😳

Now, maybe I’m just slow, but I don’t see those graphics anywhere in the limited photos we’ve seen of a potential new look. It could be a new look entirely, something custom. It could just be new elements added to the existing design to get them off of Tribune’s hardware. I don’t think we will know for sure until this set debuts, but I don’t think we should be jumping to conclusions about these being the new graphics until there’s more evidence.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, BluesNews said:

Now, maybe I’m just slow, but I don’t see those graphics anywhere in the limited photos we’ve seen of a potential new look. It could be a new look entirely, something custom. It could just be new elements added to the existing design to get them off of Tribune’s hardware. I don’t think we will know for sure until this set debuts, but I don’t think we should be jumping to conclusions about these being the new graphics until there’s more evidence.

Sorry if I gave the impression that I was jumping to conclusions; I was just saying that I wouldn’t be a fan of those graphics *if* they were going to be used. In hindsight, while the ticker looks similar, it may be a new package. We’ll see what it all looks like on the debut day.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2023 at 3:01 PM, NYNewsCoverage said:

First look at a new weather center! And a peak at new graphics too, featuring the 75th anniversary logo that KTLA uses.

Screen Shot 2023-02-04 at 2.56.26 PM.png

It's VERY subtle, but I do love that this new set utilizes subway tile. I actually wish it had more subway tile than just those two columns on either side of the weather monitor. It practically screams NEW YORK.

1 hour ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

Sorry if I gave the impression that I was jumping to conclusions; I was just saying that I wouldn’t be a fan of those graphics *if* they were going to be used. In hindsight, while the ticker looks similar, it may be a new package. We’ll see what it all looks like on the debut day.

And no worries, I'm sorry if I came across as a little harsh in my reply. Time will only tell what actually happens!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, BluesNews said:

It's VERY subtle, but I do love that this new set utilizes subway tile. I actually wish it had more subway tile than just those two columns on either side of the weather monitor. It practically screams NEW YORK.

And no worries, I'm sorry if I came across as a little harsh in my reply. Time will only tell what actually happens!

Nah you weren’t harsh, we should wait for the reveal. And that subway tile is a nice touch without going too overboard; using too much of it might clash with the overall design.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

Nah you weren’t harsh, we should wait for the reveal. And that subway tile is a nice touch without going too overboard; using too much of it might clash with the overall design.

I question though if the set should have used more brick, steel, concrete, and subway tile though to make it stand out and give it that New York feel. The new set is nice, but it feels too much like "LA Lite." Nexstar is generally better about making sets fit the region they are in, so I'm a tad bit disappointed there aren't more unique NY elements incorporated into the design. But maybe there's more we haven't seen yet...

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2023 at 1:38 PM, BluesNews said:

I question though if the set should have used more brick, steel, concrete, and subway tile though to make it stand out and give it that New York feel. The new set is nice, but it feels too much like "LA Lite." Nexstar is generally better about making sets fit the region they are in, so I'm a tad bit disappointed there aren't more unique NY elements incorporated into the design. But maybe there's more we haven't seen yet...

The current round of sets for Nexstar's large- and upper-mid-market stations (KDVR, KTLA, KXAN, WPIX) seem to be missing the local touches that the bigger stations from the previous round (KOIN, KRON, WFLA) had. I couldn't even tell you what's LA about KTLA's set other than being bright and shiny and modern.

On 2/20/2023 at 11:32 AM, djlynch said:

The current round of sets for Nexstar's large- and upper-mid-market stations (KDVR, KTLA, KXAN, WPIX) seem to be missing the local touches that the bigger stations from the previous round (KOIN, KRON, WFLA) had. I couldn't even tell you what's LA about KTLA's set other than being bright and shiny and modern.

I respectfully disagree. The KRON and WFLA sets don’t look very local; they just look cheap and tacky. The only prominent elements in most of those sets are the tall array of monitors and the bad lighting.

The new KTLA, KXAN and WPIX sets are improvements IMO, and if you’re looking for local touches, WPIX’s set incorporates subway tile. KTLA actually overachieved with their studio; their set looks like something you’d see on a national show, and I imagine they spent a crap ton for it. The new round of sets aren’t any more or less local than the last round, and that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

Edited by nycnewsjunkie
  • Like 5

https://www.instagram.com/p/CpF8OIjD5rj/?hl=en 

New looks at the studio via Kirstin Cole's instagram. It looks like the part across from the anchor desk is not yet done? Or it could just be not shown on air/extra storage?

The only part I think we haven't seen yet is the interview area?

No word yet on a debut date, but I'm guessing maybe next week or the week after.

3 minutes ago, NYNewsCoverage said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CpF8OIjD5rj/?hl=en 

New looks at the studio via Kirstin Cole's instagram. It looks like the part across from the anchor desk is not yet done? Or it could just be not shown on air/extra storage?

The only part I think we haven't seen yet is the interview area?

No word yet on a debut date, but I'm guessing maybe next week or the week after.

Star Harvey posted as well. Looks like maybe possibly the interview area across from the weather area.. also posted “I’ll have more news to share in a few weeks”

On 2/20/2023 at 2:53 PM, nycnewsjunkie said:

I respectfully disagree. The KRON and WFLA sets don’t look very local;

The KRON set is meh but I actually like how the WFLA main desk area blends physical set details like window panes and staircases with video walls. It beats Market 1 WNBC and WABC for sure. 

Edited by iron_lion

• 3 weeks later...