WPIX new studio

dabx

As reported in the New York station they are building a new set in their current main studio. Main anchor desk has been temporarily moved to the 10th floor newsroom. Weather and traffic has been move to the new second floor studio being partially used by NN Dan Abrams

• 1 month later...

The TVNewsTalk On Your Side I-Team Investigators have learned that this is much more than a new set, they are completely gutting the second floor studio and former newsroom to build new studios for WPIX and NewsNation.

The On Your Side I-Team has obtained the demolition plans for the second floor showing the removal of the old newsroom and technical spaces (Note that dashed lines indicate a wall that is slated for demolition.) You can find them here.

At the end of last year, a studio was renovated on the 10th floor, which is probably the studio they are currently using.

It will probably be some time before this project is complete, as the demolition plans were just approved in early July.

WPIXNewsroomDemolition.jpg

• Like 5

It definitely makes sense they are expanding into the old 2nd floor newsroom, as I believe that space was not expanded upon much (if at all) during the last 2015 renovation and hasn't been used since the Jodi Applegate era. I could be wrong though. Their main studio + that space could make for a large studio space for both PIX and NewsNation. 

It seems like the temporary set will be around for a while. My guess would be this debuts September at the earliest? But sometime during the Fall.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Bumping this thread because I have found a little something in regards to the new set while digging on their creative department's Vimeo account

There's also a little glimpse of new weather graphics shown in the screen to the left.

I wasn't sure if I wanted to share the video instead of screenshots, but I suggest to see this one ASAP because they may quickly remove this video. By the looks of it, it’s a modified and small scaled version of the KTLA set. Good to see that at least some progress has already been made

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 10/20/2022 at 1:17 PM, nycnewsjunkie said:

Damn. That looks awesome. Would easily make for the best set in the market if it comes to fruition.

13 minutes ago, EHTVnews said:

Bumping this thread because I have found a little something in regards to the new set while digging on their creative department's Vimeo account

There's also a little glimpse of new weather graphics shown in the screen to the left.

I wasn't sure if I wanted to share the video instead of screenshots, but I suggest to see this one ASAP because they may quickly remove this video. By the looks of it, it’s a modified and small scaled version of the KTLA set. Good to see that at least some progress has already been made

Looks beautiful, miles ahead of what they have now. Definately above WABC and WNBC. I'd still give WCBS' set the edge over this though.

NY is the number one market but every LA station has NYC beat aesthetically. 

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, EHTVnews said:

I was gonna say a much scaled version of KTLA set, hopefully they fill the front monitor with a live feed, Using blue typography graphics is fine like KTLA. But in the morning they even use a live shot, obviously the sides should be better, more expanded hopefully the weather there doesn't need to be one on set. I need foo see the final result before I give a grade.

Apparently, this is what will feed the primary min, monitor.

Edited by RaleighTVBOI1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, EHTVnews said:

Don't like the background as there just too much going on. And if they decide to use the 'ticker' above, it's only going to look worse. The main setup definitely has a KTLA feel to it, but because of the very low ceiling, it doesn't work to me. I don't like the desk either (looks too cheap). 

• Sad 1

I’d have to see it on air to make a good judgment of it, but it looks like it’ll be slightly different than the renderings indicated. I suppose that’s because of the low ceiling. Still, it’s miles better than anything they’ve had prior.

26 minutes ago, jase said:

And if they decide to use the 'ticker' above, it's only going to look worse.

It looks like they just put lights where the ticker was going to be. They probably figured it would look too busy, and it would barely show up on air anyway.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, KentBrockman said:

Actually I was right, whatever happened to this large studio they used to use?F02FB4BA-6EF9-4BC1-8D6F-C73CC801FD76.thumb.jpeg.13081b76223a0cf82db975158b234e93.jpeg

Just uploading a higher resolution version; but I believe they have been using the same space/studio (2nd floor of the daily news building) for  as long as I can remember. I believe the 10th floor newsroom was a new addition; with the old newsroom also being on the 2nd floor (right picture). Could be totally wrong though. I did notice the lower ceilings from the video, so it is possible they are rebuilding the studio in a new area of the floor.

Screen Shot 2023-01-31 at 10.07.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-01-31 at 10.10.19 PM.png

• Like 1

Yeah, both the pre-renovation and post-renovation floor plans are in this thread. The studio is actually slightly larger than before, thanks to the deletion of a mechanical room and tech room along the eastern wall. The new NewsNation studio sits in the footprint of the old WPIX newsroom, and also includes the space previously occupied by a control room.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/31/2023 at 10:12 PM, NYNewsCoverage said:

Just uploading a higher resolution version; but I believe they have been using the same space/studio (2nd floor of the daily news building) for  as long as I can remember. I believe the 10th floor newsroom was a new addition; with the old newsroom also being on the 2nd floor (right picture). Could be totally wrong though. I did notice the lower ceilings from the video, so it is possible they are rebuilding the studio in a new area of the floor.

Screen Shot 2023-01-31 at 10.07.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-01-31 at 10.10.19 PM.png

So what you’re saying is, they’ve been in the same space the entire time? Why does it feel like the ceiling used to be higher?

And maybe now, looking at a clearer version, the old 2000s set was just a great optical illusion because I remember it being a lot more expansive and larger than it actually looks.

Which begs my next question, when they blew up into full iPad mode in 2010, were they on the second floor or on the tenth floor?

Am I the only one confused by WPIX’s setup?

• Like 2

WPIX occupies two floors of the Daily News building the second an the tenth The tenth floor has the newsroom the new small aux studio’s that does the NewsNation Cuomo and Abrams show as well as wpix New York living and traffic reports

The second floor originally had the newsroom (before it moved to 10th floor) and the main studio

With th reconstruction, the a main studio was overhauled and the space where the newsroom was is now the new studio for NewsNation (plus control room)

• Like 1