WGCL in Newsroom

ATLNewsExpert

11 hours ago, toxictwister00 said:

Great find! Please keep an eye out on anchor's social media. A remote studio huh? That will be interesting. It feels so great to see that ugly set finally come down. That desk in the remote location looks like the old weather desk

59 minutes ago, carolinanews4 said:

They have a write up about the temporary move of their temporary set. They will be broadcasting all of their newscasts this coming week at Gray's new "Assembly Atlanta" studio complex.

https://www.cbs46.com/2022/08/05/cbs46-crews-work-around-clock-transfer-news-studio-14th-street-assembly/

I don't really see the point other than to advertise the new upcoming space for Gray. You've got a nice temporary set, why not just use that until October? I wouldn't be surprised if we got ANOTHER temporary set after this week knowing WGCL. This seems rather pointless. And yes I would be complaining to if ai had to take down that complete hodgepodge excuse of a set

• Like 1

Alright here are a few pictures of the set up at "Assembly". Like I said before, I'm pretty sure that's the old weather desk their using, with a non working screen ofcourse. Sorry but a construction site is is not the most desired backdrop for a newscast though. It seems like a very much cluttered space but ofcourse smile and wave for the boss! Also I seen the last image during the LNL feed, and saw that interesting graphic with one of the Gray bottom graphics with the WGCL logo, don't know how to feel about that 😐

1659976820424_image.png

1659976820890_image.png

1659976821343_image.png

1659976821616_image.png

• Like 1

It's likely that the temporary move out of the main studio building has something to do with work going on inside. Due to the nature of a TV station, there's certain work that must be done every so often that is made extremely complicated by having to work around broadcast schedules. Need to replace electrical equipment?  You have a small opening on the weekends to do the work. Swap out a router? Rebuild a control room? You're hastily swapping things around and making people work 18 hour days to get everything moved and the new stuff installed while still putting shows on the air. It's not impossible, but it's a lot of work.

A whole week to do the work? No rush? Who wouldn't want that?

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, ATLNewsExpert said:

Saw this when searching for WKTB (Atlanta Telemundo). Given that we hear WGCL's temporary set is to be their permanent set in due course could this mean they are moving into 14th Street with WGCL? 

1661139919343_image.png

Yes Wktb is indeed moving into CBS 46 building and when WGCL moves back to their completed main set their current temporary set will become telemundo Atlanta’s brand new permanent set

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2022 at 10:45 PM, ATLNewsExpert said:

Saw this when searching for WKTB (Atlanta Telemundo). Given that we hear WGCL's temporary set is to be their permanent set in due course could this mean they are moving into 14th Street with WGCL? 

1661139919343_image.png

Yes they will be moving according to The Other Site to the temporary set which will be permanent.

1 hour ago, ATLNewsExpert said:

I literally said that in my question 

TV Newscheck is reporting the news on WGCL and WPCH will now be branded as Atlanta News First.  WGCL calls will also change to WANF.  Here is the NextTV version of the story, including what the local will look like.  https://www.nexttv.com/news/wgcl-atlanta-changing-call-letters-to-wanf

Edited by NowBergen
  • Like 2

This sounds like what Nexstar did with WJZY “Queen City News.”  I do wished they would have kept the call letters because the issue with WGCL is branding. It’s not consistent. But I am excited to see where this station is going. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

11 hours ago, Daybreak said:

This sounds like what Nexstar did with WJZY “Queen City News.”  I do wished they would have kept the call letters because the issue with WGCL is branding. It’s not consistent. But I am excited to see where this station is going. 

WGCL is finally doing decently after a long time struggling so I'm unsure about this rebrand. CBS 46 News rolled off the tounge nicely especially for a big and unual station number like 46. But I suppose the Atlanta News First brand should work given that the station is a mini news network with little syndicated content. 

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, MidwestTV said:

The more shocking thing here is the call letter change. WANF? That's total commitment to the re-brand.

This will be the fifth callsign change in the station's history! Out of curiosity, what is the purpose of a call sign change (to random letters, not as an acronym such as ANF) ?

Again, i'm proceeding with caution on this one. Being that things are working at CBS 46, I wouldn't tamper too much with the current formula. In the past they've tried to experiment with unique branding like 'Clear News' and 'CBS Atlanta' which didn't work. 

Edited by iron_lion

• 3 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, ATLNewsExpert said:

I know anchors/reporters have posted on social media about the promos but has any posted a tease or update on the new set. Also can we get an admin to rename this thread to something like "WGCL (WANF) new set" or something?

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 3