WGCL in Newsroom

ATLNewsExpert

I hope it's a totally new look and not one of the current Gray packages in circulation.   Being the flagship Gray station should command something to not only compete in Atlanta but to be a station to be envied by the rest of the group.

Then again, even WVUE looks like a middle market Gray station now.   And look how Gray handled WOIO, with the "sister" package that Meredith later ran with WSMV and their siblings.

I believe the current set goes back to 2014 and the change from "CBS Atlanta" back to CBS 46.

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Sendir said:

This will be their flagship. This station will literally be treated like Perry treats NewsNation. First hand knowledge. 

I do hope a call letter change is also considered; they've meant nothing for so long except longtime failure from a short-lived initiative. I could see them using a variant of "46 News Now" like WXIX, or because Gray owns it, "First Alert 46"/"CBS46, Your First Alert Station".

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, Sendir said:

This station will literally be treated like Perry treats NewsNation. 

So in other words, an expensive ratings boondoggle that's continued to bleed talent and whatever viewers they had? 🤣

In all seriousness, hopefully this is where Gray makes it work for them.   But history has proven that as these mega groups impose their "way" onto an ascending profile of stations, their "way" takes precedent over the tried and true of the stations they've picked up along the way.  And any actual success is totally dependent on the declines of others, or who is not losing viewers the fastest.

• Thanks 1

It's worth noting that Gray CEO Hilton Howell made a reference to a possible rebranding at WGCL prior to the Meredith acquisition. Per FTVLive:

He also said that one day, the station might decide to “fire CBS.” While discussing rebranding opportunities once Gray acquires Meredith. Howell said he believes you can brand outside the network and find better opportunities to focus on local instead of relying on the networks for content.

While WGCL has seen the departure of Karyn Greer to WSB, the past few months seem to have been relatively stable (although Gray has only owned the station for a short period of time.) I imagine Gray will want to keep a semblance of stability that had been sorely missing from the station under Meredith. The decision to "fire CBS" could be read as wanting to create a unique identity for the station (much like WJZY did when it "fired" Fox.)

• Thanks 2

"firing" CBS is a ballsy move in Atlanta, especially with WUPA being a CBS O&O and virtually the entire CBS network being available to the streaming public via Paramount+.  But making something of Channel 46 would ultimately be the best move.

One false move, and "CBS Atlanta" will exist on WUPA, and they would be glad to push CW to a subchannel there. 

Years ago when WAGA switched to Fox and CBS needed a new home, branding was a must, so viewers could find the network.  Just by going UHF in these markets like Atlanta, CBS took a hit that took a while to recover from as a whole,

Today, the threat looms where ABC content can be shipped off to Disney+ (like DWTS), NBC content to Peacock, and Paramount+ basically being a network home for the streamers (who watch CBS content).  FOX has Tubi, but the split with Disney still took some shows with them (the ones produced by 21st Century that ended up under Disney) so their ties to OTT aren't as strong as the others, and bleed more than they think to Disney....

Back to WGCL,  they have a great opportunity ahead of them given Gray's dedication and investment in Atlanta.  So many false starts under Meredith, so hopefully this move pays off.

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

I believe the current set goes back to 2014 and the change from "CBS Atlanta" back to CBS 46.

It sure does, just to get this out there, thoughts on the current set everyone?

17 hours ago, Sendir said:

It’s for a complete rebrand. 

God let's hope not. Be on the lookout for "Atlanta News Live" folks, atleast it ain't "Clear News 2.0"

8 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

I could see them using a variant of "46 News Now" like WXIX, or because Gray owns it, "First Alert 46"/"CBS46, Your First Alert Station".

I do agree with something like the latter, WGCL needs a brand outside of simply just "CBS 46"

Edited by ATLNewsExpert
  • Like 2

On 6/20/2022 at 5:32 PM, ATLNewsExpert said:

Alright time to pack it up folks, they are on the main set once again unchanged, sorry to disappoint. This thread will be kept up just in case they pull a newsroom again in the near future

Don’t table it just yet I can exclusively report from a station insider they will be doing work on the studio in the near future my guess it’ll be a fall renovation don’t know exact timetable to begin but yes WGCL will doing some Reno work soon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Hickman360 said:

Don’t table it just yet I can exclusively report from a station insider they will be doing work on the studio in the near future my guess it’ll be a fall renovation don’t know exact timetable to begin but yes WGCL will doing some Reno work soon

By the way your talking has the insider say it will be a new set entirely or a update? Also station executive, reporter, etc?

12 hours ago, ATLNewsExpert said:

By the way your talking has the insider say it will be a new set entirely or a update? Also station executive, reporter, etc?

An anchor is my insider I’ll get you clarification on whether it’s an update or complete overhaul for you 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Here are some more pictures on how it is being used. I will go as far to say it looks more visually appealing than the outgoing set by a thousand years. Very much like the temporary set they used before the outgoing set debuted, it is more elaborate than most small market permanent sets. Obviously the standing desk is a complaint let's hope the new set won't have that! 

1659581655221_image.png

1659581655378_image.png

1659581656925_image.png

1659581657103_image.png

1659581655748_image.png

1659581657392_image.png

1659581657656_image.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ATLNewsExpert said:

Here are some more pictures on how it is being used. I will go as far to say it looks more visually appealing than the outgoing set by a thousand years. Very much like the temporary set they used before the outgoing set debuted, it is more elaborate than most small market permanent sets. Obviously the standing desk is a complaint let's hope the new set won't have that! 

1659581655221_image.png

1659581655378_image.png

1659581656925_image.png

1659581657103_image.png

1659581655748_image.png

1659581657392_image.png

1659581657656_image.png

Could this be the permanent set? It looks too elaborate to be temporary.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ATLNewsExpert said:

6 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Could this be the permanent set? It looks too elaborate to be temporary.

I honestly wouldn't mind, it's a major improvement despite being temporary. Just add a desk, add another area for weather and call it a day

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It’s definitely a temporary set I must say pretty impressive. From what I’ve heard following the completion of the main set the temporary set will become the secondary set Taking a page from FOX 5. I would not be surprised if that could be setup for future Monica Pearson one on one episodes this fall or sports shows Friday and Saturday nights.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hickman360 said:

It’s definitely a temporary set I must say pretty impressive. From what I’ve heard following the completion of the main set the temporary set will become the secondary set Taking a page from FOX 5. I would not be surprised if that could be setup for future Monica Pearson one on one episodes this fall or sports shows Friday and Saturday nights.

That's actually a good possibility. This temporary set does look good in yellow/orange for WakeUp Atlanta, that would match "MP One on One" 's graphics