WRIC debuts new graphics

Georgie56

On 6/13/2022 at 5:43 PM, sanewsguy said:

Tim Dadabo. I completely agree that he’s awful.

Rey did indeed design this.

Holy sh*t. It's beyond me how he could be this awful. I seriously can't imagine. I was so sure he wouldn't be this bad, but then I saw the poorly ramped text and I had an inkling that I was sadly wrong.

Edited by ABC 7 Denver

The designer of the new graphics package at WRIC
Hacking Mtv GIF

Just when you think it couldn't be any worse, I hop on Photoshop and say, "Hold My Beer." I better not speak too loud, knowing our luck, someone in Creative Services over there will hop on here, take one look at the old logo and be like "this is the sexiest thing I've ever seen! Why aren't we using that logo?" Next thing you know...

TADA!!!!

Picture2.png

• Haha 6

28 minutes ago, LOWERCASE GUY said:

Hacking Mtv GIF

Just when you think it couldn't be any worse, I hop on Photoshop and say, "Hold My Beer." I better not speak too loud, knowing our luck, someone in Creative Services over there will hop on here, take one look at the old logo and be like "this is the sexiest thing I've ever seen! Why aren't we using that logo?" Next thing you know...

TADA!!!!

Picture2.png

I could have given you a copy without my logo on the top right but oh well.

13 minutes ago, appleachian said:

I don’t get the hate for that old logo.  It’s better than a generic 8. 

It didn't look right with the stations image at the time and it doesn't look right now. It belongs in the dumpster it came out of.

Edited by Kenneth Kissel
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Kenneth Kissel said:

I could have given you a copy without my logo on the top right but oh well.

It didn't look right with the stations image at the time and it doesn't look right now. It belongs in the dumpster it came out of.

The same dumpster that this graphics package belongs in?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 6/13/2022 at 7:43 PM, sanewsguy said:

Tim Dadabo. I completely agree that he’s awful.

Rey did indeed design this.

Why the actual heck would you cheap out on a VO when you know you'd be better off not hiring one? 

Also, this is Rey's work? What? I just thought of it as an in-house Hothaus/Gray ripoff cobbled with existing Linear Drift graphics they could get for free. Woof.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2022 at 6:09 PM, Yankees4life said:

YUCK. Why in God's name did they switch to Ariel? 🤢🤮

It's called "Aerial" as in aerial photograph, not "Ariel" as in the name of the little mermaid. Besides that, I I'm with the rest of this forum when it comes to the Aerial music package!

On 6/14/2022 at 11:53 PM, LOWERCASE GUY said:

Hacking Mtv GIF

TADA!!!!

Picture2.png

WMTW and KOLO have better designs for a logo for an ABC affiliate featuring the number 8. Even WGHP's Sottsass-Memphis art movement-inspired "triangle 8" logo survived the switchover from ABC to Fox in the big TV affiliation shuffle of 1994-1996 before it was unceremoniously ditched in the late 1990s, was a better logo...

Edited by Justin Hill
  • Like 1

It's not their best look, and it's not the best thing to come out of Linear Drift. But it's manageable, and it certainly refreshes from an out-of-place and outdated old KOIN "arrows" package they were using.

Given the station's history when it comes to creative services choices, I'd say this is pretty refreshing. It's not as jarring as that old gray/purple/navy blue look with the abrasive serif font and the lightning bolts they had about a decade ago. Even the sharpness and red applied to the old Young HD graphics. Like if a station was going for graphics that screams brutal murder, WRIC has a history.

I can understand slightly the hate for the old 8 logo, it was kind of scary and jarring looking, very sharp like razor blades. But it was unique, very unique. What they use now and have used for a few years now isn't, it's very uninspiring.

But to be honest, these new graphics are the first time I can look at WRIC and not be scared shitless by graphics, and that's like for the first time EVER, in over 30 years. Heck, even the animation of the open in the last package it replaced was too jarring. Now, it seems the station is finally starting to soften up it's longstanding "guy hiding in a dark corner with a knife and a menacing smile" image that they seemed to have had for a long time.

And if you don't agree with me:

42CEDDB3-A391-4146-AB3D-2099B21B0196.thumb.jpeg.763c646836093541b2c708b00dc7cb45.jpegEC86A19B-536A-42F5-9FB8-D5BBC79450ED.thumb.png.7aa7080fa790b5b52d7a3919bb13a70f.png

(Why is the transition sharp razor blades?!)

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

On 6/9/2022 at 5:12 PM, tw-804 said:

Not only that, they have brand new music: Aerial by Stephen Arnold Music (yeah, the theme that most of TVNT hates, lol...).

A downgrade, like the rest of this package!

On 6/9/2022 at 7:13 PM, Kenneth Kissel said:

At least it is better then THIS logo. 

Definitely something that would be considered above average for a Grey station these days

On 6/15/2022 at 12:53 AM, LOWERCASE GUY said:

Thank you so much, now half of the broadcasting community won't get any sleep tonight! (In all seriousness though great Photoshop skills)

On 6/15/2022 at 1:08 AM, appleachian said:

I don’t get the hate for that old logo.  It’s better than a generic 8. 

Likely because like most things that used to come out of WRIC, it was just to menacing, sharp, and jarring

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Last month, Studio 31 Media Archive's YouTube channel posted a montage with WRIC's new graphics. And you know what? I can picture the new graphics on WAVY/WVBT in Hampton Roads - along with 615 Music's Newswire V.2. The graphics they have right now has been around since 2013 (was it that long?!). Nothing's wrong with the current look WAVY/WVBT have but it's time for a new one, IMO.

Edited by tw-804
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, tw-804 said:

Last month, Studio 31 Media Archive's YouTube channel posted a montage with WRIC's new graphics. And you know what? I can picture the new graphics on WAVY/WVBT in Hampton Roads - along with 615 Music's Newswire V.2. The graphics they have right now has been around since 2013 (was it that long?!). Nothing's wrong with the current look WAVY/WVBT have but it's time for a new one, IMO.

Yeah, I’m gonna have to disagree on this one. This package looks so cheap that it would actually be a downgrade from WAVY’s current package. If WRIC’s package debuted 9 years ago, it would still look dated. Hell, I’ll argue that WABC’s package from 2013 looks more modern than this 3D bathroom tile nightmare.

• Like 6

Well, I guess recycling a graphics package from Richmond is better than having a station from Richmond produce your newscasts. (like WTVR did for WDCW under Tribune)...

Still, shouldn't something in the nation's capitol be a little more original?  But then again, this is Nexstar we're talking about.....

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

41 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Well, I guess recycling a graphics package from Richmond is better than having a station from Richmond produce your newscasts. (like WTVR did for WDCW under Tribune)...

Still, shouldn't something in the nation's capitol be a little more original?  But then again, this is Nexstar we're talking about.....

The race to the bottom continues. 

• Like 1