Jump to content

WRIC debuts new graphics


Georgie56
 Share

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Not only that, they have brand new music: Aerial by Stephen Arnold Music (yeah, the theme that most of TVNT hates, lol...).

Edited by tw-804
  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

At least it is better then THIS logo.  WRIC has seen much worse. Their highlight was when they were Media General's Flagship. Remember, This station was owned by Young Broadcasting who treated WRIC as a dumpster fire. People around Richmond would actually ask for WVEC or WJLA in their cable/satellite subscriptions in the 90s/00s due to how bad this station was. 

Screenshot 2022-06-09 191257.jpg

Edited by Kenneth Kissel
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Kenneth Kissel said:

People around Richmond would actually ask for WVEC or WJLA in their cable/satellite subscriptions in the 90s/00s due to how bad this station was. 

 

Wait, WHAT?! I didn't know that.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, tw-804 said:

Wait, WHAT?! I didn't know that.

I have several friends of mine that live around the outskirts of the Richmond area. If you lived in Williamsburg, West Point, Emporia, Waverly, Hopewell , and some others . You had an option to add WVEC to your cable/satellite package either as a replacement to WRIC or an addon for a extra fee (That was also possible for WAVY/WTKR/WGNT/WTVZ/and WVBT as well). If you lived in Fredericksburg, Bowling Green, Mineral, Charlottesville (They got their own ABC affiliate in 2004),  Port Royal, Orange County, and some others. You had the option to add WJLA as a replacement to WRIC or an addon for an extra fee (this also worked for WUSA/WTTG/WFTY/and WRC). This was an option mostly for Cox Communications and Directv/Dish Network Subscribers.

Edited by Kenneth Kissel
Link to comment
Share on other sites

r

5 hours ago, Kenneth Kissel said:

At least it is better then THIS logo.  WRIC has seen much worse. Their highlight was when they were Media General's Flagship. Remember, This station was owned by Young Broadcasting who treated WRIC as a dumpster fire. People around Richmond would actually ask for WVEC or WJLA in their cable/satellite subscriptions in the 90s/00s due to how bad this station was. 

Screenshot 2022-06-09 191257.jpg

 I remember that logo and watched WRIC TV8 News in the  mid90s while visiting Richmond. However down the road Young seem to do some investing.  It got to a point WRIC & WTVR were tied in some newscast and WRIC beat WTVR for #2.  That logo made it for two decades and I don't know how it survived without changes, but Young Broadcasting, wasn't like many groups.

Edited by Breaking News
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not too impressed. On both the weather graphics and on the open, the text seems to just get lost into the background. This is what happens when you use plain white text with no outline / no drop shadow on a busy background.

Edited by Spring Rubber
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks decent…for 2010.
Maybe it’s just me, but imho both the graphics and music are a downgrade from what they replaced. They both look/sound well past their expiration date, and they just debuted. If only Tribune’s creative services team was kept…

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not a fan of the graphics. The sound effect for the “forecast first” is annoying, the clutter underneath the lower thirds is unnecessary, and a lot of elements give me $34 VideoHive vibes. I’m mostly fine with the other Nexstar packages, but this one just isn’t great IMO. 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here is the Noon broadcast along with "Showcase Richmond".  This also has some weather promos/News Nation Promos.  To answer @froyo49, There is a ticker below the new graphics but it still using the old 2016-2022 logo for now.

 

Edited by Kenneth Kissel
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, froyo49 said:

Not a fan of the graphics. The sound effect for the “forecast first” is annoying, the clutter underneath the lower thirds is unnecessary, and a lot of elements give me $34 VideoHive vibes. I’m mostly fine with the other Nexstar packages, but this one just isn’t great IMO. 

I agree, I feel like the space underneath the L3 might be for a ticker? Open is definitely a downgrade, this almost looks like an in-house open like WJET. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, CLT-DCA-ORF-PTI said:

I agree, I feel like the space underneath the L3 might be for a ticker? Open is definitely a downgrade, this almost looks like an in-house open like WJET. 

Not Exactly, WJET uses the FOX-1 graphics like sister WFXP but with a different shade. 

Edited by Kenneth Kissel
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/9/2022 at 7:13 PM, Kenneth Kissel said:

At least it is better then THIS logo.  WRIC has seen much worse. Their highlight was when they were Media General's Flagship. Remember, This station was owned by Young Broadcasting who treated WRIC as a dumpster fire. People around Richmond would actually ask for WVEC or WJLA in their cable/satellite subscriptions in the 90s/00s due to how bad this station was. 


That logo was much better as a circle. Never liked the rectangle treatment all that much.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Why the hell does anyone seem to like this on YT? This is just TOO busy and inconsistent, even the lower thirds are hard to look at and don't get me started on the intro! Trust me I like 3D news opens these days but this is NOT how you do it! Who approved this and Areil, KHNL is the only station that it works with!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/11/2022 at 12:25 PM, ATLNewsExpert said:

Why the hell does anyone seem to like this on YT? This is just TOO busy and inconsistent, even the lower thirds are hard to look at and don't get me started on the intro! Trust me I like 3D news opens these days but this is NOT how you do it! Who approved this and Areil, KHNL is the only station that it works with!

WBNS: "Am I a joke to you?" 

 

But yes, I concur. I suspect this is an in-house pack given all these unnecessary extras. This could quite be the worst in-house job a Nexstar station has done.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/10/2022 at 7:16 AM, nycnewsjunkie said:

Looks decent…for 2010.
Maybe it’s just me, but imho both the graphics and music are a downgrade from what they replaced. They both look/sound well past their expiration date, and they just debuted. If only Tribune’s creative services team was kept…

 

What do you expect for a package that's almost 12 years old?

Edited by ABC 7 Denver
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Greggo said:

Who is that VO guy?!? Awful! 

Tim Dadabo. I completely agree that he’s awful.

 

1 hour ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

This is NOT a LinearDrift/Rey Rodriguez graphics package. Also, what do you expect for a package that's almost 12 years old?

Rey did indeed design this.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using TVNewsTalk you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.