1/6 committee hearings coverage

David Salter JR

the 1/6 insurrection committee hearings begin this week with a primetime hearing on Thursday. Here are the broadcast and cable network plans. Note: this page will be updated as necessary.

CBS: Norah O'Donnell will front live coverage. CBS's coverage will be streamed on Paramount Plus and CBSN

ABC: live coverage will be hosted by David Muir.

NBC: Lester Holt will host on both the broadcast net and NBC News Now

Fox: Live coverage anchored by Brett Bair and Martha McCallum will be offered as a level 2 special report to Fox affiliates who want it (it is important to note that primetime on the network will not be preempted). 

CNN and MSNBC will likely use their normal primetime hosts for coverage.

FNC will not be airing the hearings in full but will dip in as events warrant. the aforementioned broadcast will Brett and Martha will be on Fox Buisness network.

Note: NBC has announced that the second hearing which is scheduled for June 13th will be exclusively on NBC News Now. whether or not that will be offered as an optional SR to broadcast affiliates is not known

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

MSNBC will be providing extended coverage on Thursday, the networks big names will come in for the night. 

Shame on Fox for not providing coverage of such a high profile event. 

I wonder if the networks will go straight to local news if the coverage goes late enough? If the hearing lasts anywhere around that 2 and a half hour mark, it would turn into a nice lead in for local news. I’m guessing ABC will do a special edition of Nightline? Colbert should/could do a live show as he does around special events. 

EE702E53-A0DF-44B6-90D1-A6F634D127E9.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

11 minutes ago, jrogo said:

MSNBC will be providing extended coverage on Thursday, the networks big names will come in for the night. 

I wonder if the networks will go straight to local news if the coverage goes late enough? If the hearing lasts anywhere around that 2 and a half hour mark, it would turn into a nice lead in for local news. I’m guessing ABC will do a special edition of Nightline? Colbert should/could do a live show as he does around special events. 

I wonder what the networks will do if the hearings go past 11pm Eastern

1 hour ago, jrogo said:

As mentioned in the original post, Fox is providing coverage of the hearings. They just aren’t providing full, uninterrupted coverage on FNC. They’ve opted to put the main coverage on Fox Business and distribute it to affiliates that want it. Given that FNC’s talking heads are usually on air during the time the hearings are scheduled, this isn’t really a surprise.

Furthermore, I wouldn’t be surprised if many Fox affiliates decide not to take the network’s feed and either A) provide their own coverage or B) show highlights on the late news. IIRC, WJZY ended up cutting from Fox News to NewsNation on 1/6 itself, given FNC’s subpar coverage of the actual event.

Edited by nycnewsjunkie
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

As mentioned in the original post, Fox is providing coverage of the hearings. They just aren’t providing full, uninterrupted coverage on FNC. They’ve opted to put the main coverage on Fox Business and distribute it to affiliates that want it. Given that FNC’s talking heads are usually on air during the time the hearings are scheduled, this isn’t really a surprise.

Furthermore, I wouldn’t be surprised if many Fox affiliates decide not to take the network’s feed and either A) provide their own coverage or B) show highlights on the late news. IIRC, WJZY ended up cutting from Fox News to NewsNation on 1/6 itself, given FNC’s subpar coverage of the actual event.

Many FOX Affiliates will probably be in regular programming; although I suspect affiliates such as WTTG in Washington, D.C. may just provide their own coverage of the event. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 6/7/2022 at 7:28 PM, David Salter JR said:

I wonder what the networks will do if the hearings go past 11pm Eastern

I know this is after the fact, but I'm guessing since a TV producer was hired to "produce" the hearing, staying (mostly) on time was built in to the event.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

the scheduling of next Thursday's hearing has created a possible conflict with NBC Sports coverage of the first round of the US Open golf tournament. that hearing has been scheduled for 1pm Eastern time with Golf scheduled for 2pm Eastern. Assuming NBC carries this hearing, do they leave early for Golf if it goes past 2:00 which it likely will do or does round 1 air exclusively on USA?

Edited by David Salter JR
Incorrect information

On 6/8/2022 at 12:16 PM, NYPhillynews said:

Many FOX Affiliates will probably be in regular programming; although I suspect affiliates such as WTTG in Washington, D.C. may just provide their own coverage of the event. 

Fox 5 WNYW in DMA 1 was on regular programming.  No surprise.

• Sad 1

On 6/8/2022 at 12:16 PM, NYPhillynews said:

I wrote this on twitter just to remind people there are many local FOX Stations that are similar to newsrooms of the other big 3 stations. I noted that WTTG-TV Did indeed air coverage of this and will also air the following hearings in the days/weeks to come.     https://twitter.com/Bbabybear01/status/1535074705165918208

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mre29 said:

Since I'm sure the coverage was live in all time zones, what did network affiliates in the western time zones (Pacific, Mountain, Alaska, Hawaii) do for primetime?

KUSA, KCNC, & KMGH carried the network special reports live.   Then dumped out into regular network programing in progress afterwards at around 8:15PM MDT.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kenneth Kissel said:

I wrote this on twitter just to remind people there are many local FOX Stations that are similar to newsrooms of the other big 3 stations. I noted that WTTG-TV Did indeed air coverage of this and will also air the following hearings in the days/weeks to come.     https://twitter.com/Bbabybear01/status/1535074705165918208

So did WITI (it was specifically scheduled in their EPG), though of course they had to air the entertainment lineup after the 10 p.m. news despite it all being reruns.

• Like 2

No doubt the Networks saw the ratings for Thursday Night’s broadcast and decided to air Mondays hearing as well. 

It’ll be interesting to see the ratings for tomorrow’s coverage given the fact that it will be during the morning & a Monday AM at that. 

Maybe WNYW will decide to broadcast the hearings after Good Day NY 😏

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Kenneth Kissel said:

I wonder how many Fox stations will air this? Probably the same number that aired the first one. 

I would bet the more news-focused Fox affiliates will. The ones with no or outsourced news operations will probably stick to their regular schedules.

• Like 2