KDVR on a Temp Set

DENDude

KDVR/KFCT FOX31 is now on the KWGN set starting today with the FOX31 NEWS @4PM. It's unknown currently how long they will be using the KWGN set. The studio & set were last updated in Spring of 2019 by Design Group International. For now it appears this is only an update for the FOX side.  No word on if KWGN will be updated after FOX is finished.  

https://coloradonewscenter.blogspot.com/2022/05/fox31-is-updating-its-news-set.html

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DENDude said:

KDVR/KFCT FOX31 is now on the KWGN set starting today with the FOX31 NEWS @4PM.  It's unknown currently how long they will be using the KWGN set.    The studio & set were last updated in Spring of 2019 by Design Group International.      For now it appears this is only an update for the FOX side.  No word on if KWGN will be updated after FOX is finished.  

https://coloradonewscenter.blogspot.com/2022/05/fox31-is-updating-its-news-set.html

Why Only 3 years. Really Nexstar? BTW, Happy Birthday @DENDude.

Edited by Kenneth Kissel
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2022 at 6:46 PM, Kenneth Kissel said:

Why Only 3 years. Really Nexstar? BTW, Happy Birthday @DENDude.

Thank you for the birthday wishes!  As far as I'm aware it's a full re-do.

On 5/31/2022 at 7:23 PM, CircleSeven said:

The question I have is is this a "refresh" (small modifications) or is this a full replacement.

If its the latter, I find it unusual for a station to replace a set this quickly.

As far as I'm aware It's a full re-do, set to be finished sometime mid to late June.   I believe nexstar wants to maybe have there style for the studio instead of Tribune's style.   That is my guess. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 24994J changed the title to KDVR on a Temp Set

Wow. They actually tore down a decent set only to downgrade. This is like the TV version of demolishing a ranch home only to build a gaudy McMansion. I’m sure all the money they blew on that thing will fix all of their ratings problems. /s

Seriously, they thought they needed to junk a 3 year old set? And they replaced it with the same FX corner garbage they use everywhere else? What a waste. No, it’s not bad enough for viewers to notice or care, but that’s not the point. The point is that there was no need to waste loads money on a new set, especially when it adds nothing that the old set didn’t already have.

I remember someone brought up concerns over early HD-era sets being less energy efficient, but as far as I can tell, the now-old set didn’t seem to have that issue. If anything, it wouldn’t surprise me if the new set was less energy efficient than the old one, with all those monitors they’re using. If that’s all Nexstar can come up with in a top-20 market, I don’t have high hopes for what WPIX/KTLA are getting.

Edited by nycnewsjunkie
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

Wow. They actually tore down a decent set only to downgrade. This is like the TV version of demolishing a ranch home only to build a gaudy McMansion. I’m sure all the money they blew on that thing will fix all of their ratings problems. /s

Seriously, they thought they needed to junk a 3 year old set? And they replaced it with the same FX corner garbage they use everywhere else? What a waste. No, it’s not bad enough for viewers to notice or care, but that’s not the point. The point is that there was no need to waste loads money on a new set, especially when it adds nothing that the old set didn’t already have.

I remember someone brought up concerns over early HD-era sets being less energy efficient, but as far as I can tell, the now-old set didn’t seem to have that issue. If anything, it wouldn’t surprise me if the new set was less energy efficient than the old one, with all those monitors they’re using. If that’s all Nexstar can come up with in a top-20 market, I don’t have high hopes for what WPIX/KTLA are getting.

I swear KDVR and KWGN cycle through more sets than the average TV station usually does.

As for the question you asked about energy efficiency, the seamless LED video walls that are being utilized throughout KDVR's new set are supposedly low maintenance and more efficient than the alternative, which is plastering the studio with grids of giant TV monitors (which Nexstar does when it comes to their in-house builds).

• Like 2

My question is why can't they seem to make up there minds about the logo, Promos it's the "Fox Box"  Pinpoint Weather it's the rectangle FOX logo.    Figure one out and stick with it.   And I do agree they go through a lot of sets.

I don't think KDVR has "gone through sets like underwear," but this most recent one is a little odd. By my count, KDVR has had five sets in the 22 years they've produced news: 2000 (similar to KRIV and KTTV), 2009 (a bad WFXT newsroom set ripoff), 2012 (an even worse set-in-a-box), and then 2019. That's not too weird, especially when you think about the ownership changes along the way.

The 2019 set is easily the nicest one they've had and the nicest one in the market, so it's definitely weird they just threw out a barely 3-year-old set for the same set-in-a-box that Nexstar is installing at other stations. I think KTLA is in a similar situation right now, though I believe their set was a little older than KDVR's. I guess the new owners want to put their fingerprints on the ex-Tribune stations. Nexstar's gonna Nexstar, I guess.

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

EDIT: just saw Kirk Yuhnke announce that the morning news crew will be on the set tomorrow (Thursday) morning.

I honestly thought that the new set would have debuted by now. I guess I need to be more patient…

Edited by KRAP-TV

Having seen what they posted, I change my mind; it looks really good. Yes, it’s essentially the same corner set that most other Nexstar stations get, but this is one of the best executions of it. Maybe it’s the lighting, but they made that set look better than it does at other stations (see WFLA).

As I said before, my main gripe isn’t the new set itself; it’s the fact that in the process of building it, they wasted a perfectly good existing set that was only 3 years old. I would’ve put those resources somewhere else.

• Thanks 1

Yes it’s an updated set and a better rendition of the Nexstar corporate/cookie cutter sets but the sad part is that it takes away the local elements of Denver that were used to design the previous set.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

Having seen what they posted, I change my mind; it looks really good. Yes, it’s essentially the same corner set that most other Nexstar stations get, but this is one of the best executions of it. Maybe it’s the lighting, but they made that set look better than it does at other stations (see WFLA).

As I said before, my main gripe isn’t the new set itself; it’s the fact that in the process of building it, they wasted a perfectly good existing set that was only 3 years old. I would’ve put those resources somewhere else.

Yeah some tight shot but I can get used to it.

It's...fine. I still don't get why they replaced the last set.

There's nothing really remarkable about this one. The tight shots and monitor standup area are fine, but it's otherwise pretty bland. I don't think the 'corner-full-of-vertical-monitors' looks as cool as Nexstar thinks it does. I don't think it projects an illusion of a big city loft nearly as well as the outgoing set did. Also, what's up with the fake balcony mezzanine railing?

This set is pretty much all monitors, so there are almost no other stylistic elements to it. The all-grey everywhere feels pretty cold. You could pretty much plop this set in any city. In fact, it has been plopped into several cities, and I have a feeling we'll see it in some more (KTLA). The *one* unique thing it has that I also like is the weather center – putting it behind the set with some frosted plexiglass is a cool way of giving a small impression of a working newsroom/control room backdrop.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, C Block said:

It's...fine. I still don't get why they replaced the last set.

There's nothing really remarkable about this one. The tight shots and monitor standup area are fine, but it's otherwise pretty bland. I don't think the 'corner-full-of-vertical-monitors' looks as cool as Nexstar thinks it does. I don't think it projects an illusion of a big city loft nearly as well as the outgoing set did. Also, what's up with the fake balcony mezzanine railing?

This set is pretty much all monitors, so there are almost no other stylistic elements to it. The all-grey everywhere feels pretty cold. You could pretty much plop this set in any city. In fact, it has been plopped into several cities, and I have a feeling we'll see it in some more (KTLA). The *one* unique thing it has that I also like is the weather center – putting it behind the set with some frosted plexiglass is a cool way of giving a small impression of a working newsroom/control room backdrop.

Yeah, the last set actually had…stuff in it. Granted, I don’t think the brick in KDVR’s old set represented Denver as well as KWGN’s awesome set, but there was at least some sort of identity there. This new set is basically a retread of every other FX/Nexstar set with a bunch of monitors. Even the plexiglass weather center has been done in other markets. More importantly, it’s a set that didn’t need to be built.

I still think this is the best execution I’ve seen of that set, and it actually looks good IMO (especially compared to the sets at WFLA and KRON). It’s also an unnecessary waste of money/resources that could’ve been better spent elsewhere.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

Yeah, the last set actually had…stuff in it. Granted, I don’t think the brick in KDVR’s old set represented Denver as well as KWGN’s awesome set, but there was at least some sort of identity there. This new set is basically a retread of every other FX/Nexstar set with a bunch of monitors. Even the plexiglass weather center has been done in other markets. More importantly, it’s a set that didn’t need to be built.

I still think this is the best execution I’ve seen of that set, and it actually looks good IMO (especially compared to the sets at WFLA and KRON). It’s also an unnecessary waste of money/resources that could’ve been better spent elsewhere.

Brick like that doesn't age well.

Here are the important questions:

• Why is Nexstar willing to invest in a new set that I'm sure is insanely expensive because of the couple hundred displays, when their previous set was only a few years old, and when they're losing tons of air and news staff due to lack of employment mobility and salary increases? 

• Why is a liability like a news set (can't convert into a ratings bump), more important than the local journalism that your station supposedly produces (and when you're vastly underutilizing historic KWGN)? 

• Why is Nexstar satisfied with a station that doesn't care about or understand it's local market by telling spot news, with green Gen Z-ers (in Market 17 - REALLY!?), and a marketing department who can't put together a worthy brand that won't get their vehicles damaged by Coloradoans who HATE Fox News?

- Nexstar isn't interested in Denver and they are willing to tank their stations here to subsidize a Me-Too Cable News Channel that will never go anywhere. It's disgusting. I'm tired of non-local ownership.

Edited by ABC 7 Denver
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1