WDVM, WDCW Creating "DC News Now"

Georgie56

They have actually already moved to their new studio in DC (just over a month ago) but are pulling a WJZY and are only using a portion of the new set and have duplicated the look of the old set and wx center trying to make it seem nothing has changed. 

Their morning news currently runs in the mornings from 5:30 to 8 so I’m sure they’re expanding to the 8-9 hour. As someone in the market I’m excited for the changes!

Old Set

DA22F45C-12AF-4AE0-95B2-422C78344545.jpeg

New Temp Set

D322C67D-A3CA-43A8-AA6E-AB99D09C7064.jpeg

New Temp Wx Center

8C58AC22-9189-4664-AB10-478262218554.jpeg

Edited by evwalker0901
  • Thanks 1

In a way, Western Maryland loses out again.  The DC market stretches all the way to Cumberland, and Hagerstown has basically been reduced to a "bureau" to compete for coverage of the exurbs of DC and DC itself.

WHAG could have survived as a standalone NBC affiliate had the Hagerstown market existed separately.   It definitely filled a role covering that part of the state and other areas of West Virginia not part of an in-state market.

Will "West Virginia Tonight" continue?  That part of the state is absorbed into the DC market as well, and is pretty much forgotten about in the scheme of Maryland, DC and Virginia.

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, tyrannical bastard said:

In a way, Western Maryland loses out again.  The DC market stretches all the way to Cumberland, and Hagerstown has basically been reduced to a "bureau" to compete for coverage of the exurbs of DC and DC itself.

WHAG could have survived as a standalone NBC affiliate had the Hagerstown market existed separately.   It definitely filled a role covering that part of the state and other areas of West Virginia not part of an in-state market.

Will "West Virginia Tonight" continue?  That part of the state is absorbed into the DC market as well, and is pretty much forgotten about in the scheme of Maryland, DC and Virginia.

There has definitely been a shift in coverage over the last few months. They have shifted coverage to be more centered around the DMV (DC, Maryland and Northern Virginia) and have less stories from Western Maryland and the Eastern WV panhandle. It would be nice if they included a newscast centered around those areas - like a local version of WV tonight. I’m not sure why they can’t have a show that complements current hyper local “NOVA news” and “I-270” News (Frederick and Montgomery counties) With that said, even those shows aren’t as hyper local as they were. A shift back to that would be nice.  

On 5/25/2022 at 4:31 PM, evwalker0901 said:

They have actually already moved to their new studio in DC (just over a month ago) but are pulling a WJZY and are only using a portion of the new set and have duplicated the look of the old set and wx center trying to make it

seem nothing has changed. 

I don't think they are in their new studio yet. Several stories have mentioned that both stations will move into a “state-of-the-art newsroom and studio currently under construction." According to the Washington Business Journal, the new newsroom and studio will be in WDCW's current building at 2121 Wisconsin Ave. NW. The paper reports that Nexstar signed a lease for an additional 29,000 sq. feet of space.  

Here's another source in case you are over your Biz Journal free views for the month: https://www.tvtechnology.com/news/nexstar-to-expand-local-news-operations-launch-dc-news-now

4 hours ago, carolinanews4 said:

I don't think they are in their new studio yet. Several stories have mentioned that both stations will move into a “state-of-the-art newsroom and studio currently under construction." According to the Washington Business Journal, the new newsroom and studio will be in WDCW's current building at 2121 Wisconsin Ave. NW. The paper reports that Nexstar signed a lease for an additional 29,000 sq. feet of space.  

Here's another source in case you are over your Biz Journal free views for the month: https://www.tvtechnology.com/news/nexstar-to-expand-local-news-operations-launch-dc-news-now

I can confirm as I have a friend working there -  they are now in DC at the WDCW studios.  While it may not be the studio for DC News Now, they are definitely broadcasting from DC now.  

Current Studio

5A4F7D31-B26C-4136-BC96-D673B7EB9D06.jpeg

Hagerstown Studio 

AD34A2C4-39E6-4A93-BAD9-B6100B7D918A.jpeg

Edited by evwalker0901
  • Like 2