NEWSnet. News...as it used to be

RGSJenkins

I'll say what I said on Discord: The larger lower thirds work well on mobile, though the mixed case text and Newsnet's habit of cramming entire sentences into lower thirds doesn't help them. 

The rest of it? Ehhhhhh. The little orange bar above the logo is too small, white text on bright orange is hard to read, the ticker uses TVNT's favorite stretched Helvetica, and the logo in general is just Not Great. Don't even get me started on the slogan, which is just dripping with "DA LIBERAL-RUN BIASED MEDIA!!!".

Big step back, in my opinion. The last package was the only thing the channel really had going for it. A lot of this feels thrown together, and almost cartoony in a way. Someone I know compared some of it to default templates in programs like vMix.

Also note that the entire package leans right...

10 hours ago, RGSJenkins said:

More News. More Often. is no more as NEWSnet (formerly known as NewsNet)…

They didn’t change their name. They just decided to make their logo tackier for some reason. Also, given that they’ll be running “News as it used to be,” I guess we can expect live coverage of the Watergate hearings this week.

I miss the All News Channel.   It just reported the news.  It wasn't fancy.   It just reported the news.  And didn't make a big deal about them just trying to report the news without all of the "bias" in cable news.

That's probably why they disappeared years back.  They just reported the news.   And did I mention that they just reported the news?

This is what I heard when that new slogan hit my brain stem. Which is not a good thing.

As for the graphics, my first thought is 'fake infomercial newscast-looking'. So technically, it's 'news as it used to be'...in an Amazing Discoveries episode.

12 hours ago, sanewsguy said:

Forget the graphics and slogan... they have a 19-year-old anchoring.... WTF?

I'm sorry. You were somehow under the impression that NEWSnet wanted to provide quality!? What is this? Network or some forgettable digital sub that keeps being passed around markets like a trollop.

On 4/19/2022 at 9:53 AM, tyrannical bastard said:

I miss the All News Channel.   It just reported the news.  It wasn't fancy.   It just reported the news.  And didn't make a big deal about them just trying to report the news without all of the "bias" in cable news.

That's probably why they disappeared years back.  They just reported the news.   And did I mention that they just reported the news?

The short-lived Satellite News Channel (SNC) of the early '80s also did that as well, IIRC.

On 4/20/2022 at 2:54 PM, sanewsguy said:

Forget the graphics and slogan... they have a 19-year-old anchoring.... WTF?

*shrug* Frankly, I've seen worse on many of the small-market stations I've seen. She seems to have fairly decent presentation skills, although her pronunciation is a little odd, almost like she's trying to cover up an accent, and to me makes her sound a bit like she has oversized dentures on. That's something she could work on over time with a dialect coach, if she wanted.

46 minutes ago, LoadStar said:

*shrug* Frankly, I've seen worse on many of the small-market stations I've seen. She seems to have fairly decent presentation skills, although her pronunciation is a little odd, almost like she's trying to cover up an accent, and to me makes her sound a bit like she has oversized dentures on. That's something she could work on over time with a dialect coach, if she wanted.

Her age doesn't bother me, I'd be glad for that opportunity at her age. My question lies with her ability. She's got some growth to do but she's not the worst.

Archived