2023 XFL Season

Action Newsroom

This week, the XFL began preparations for its return during its 2023 season with a brand new look, feel and drive, including a new logo that deviates from the logos of the  Vince McMahon era, and signifies the new Dwayne Johnson, Dany Garcia and RedBird Capital era.

(Wow, needs some color.)

Here's the mission statement. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/17/2022 at 7:11 PM, nickp said:

FX aired NASCAR in the early 2000's

FX and the former Fox Family also aired MLB games during the early years of the MLB on Fox era from 1997-2001, as seen here

• 2 months later...

Plans are finalizing for the 2023 season. New cities Las Vegas, Orlando and San Antonio join the list of eight franchises -- replacing L.A., NYC and Tampa. Kickoff is on February 18.

https://www.espn.com/xfl/story/_/id/34290066/las-vegas-orlando-san-antonio-new-cities-join-xfl

https://deadline.com/2022/07/xfl-2023-season-cities-teams-coaches-1235076488/

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, LoadStar said:

Can't be any worse than the USFL. I think they got ratings of 2... not a 2 share, 2 people.

They got 1.52 million for the championship game, and about 715k on average. Not superb, but not bad for a startup league.

Also, they finished the season, which is more than could be said for the AAF/XFL. And they’re renewed for a second season.

Edited by nycnewsjunkie
Rewording
  • Like 1

On 7/25/2022 at 8:31 AM, nycnewsjunkie said:

They got 1.52 million for the championship game, and about 715k on average. Not superb, but not bad for a startup league.

Also, they finished the season, which is more than could be said for the AAF/XFL. And they’re renewed for a second season.

That's actually a lot more than I thought, at least when based on the number of people who attended games in person. 

As far as XFL 2.0, that wasn't really their fault. It was an unfortunate result of COVID hitting and shutting everything down indefinitely. Before that, they seemed to have everything going for them. They had managed to attract decent in-person attendance, a seemingly respectable fanbase, and their TV ratings were (if I recall correctly) relatively decent for a startup league. (I'm sure someone will correct me on the ratings.)

(AAF, on the other hand, was just bad product. Not the joke that was XFL 1.0, but just lousy football. Plus, IMO, the coverage really felt like the "brokered time deal" that I believe it was... everyone involved in the production seemed to be contractually obligated to laud the greatness of the AAF. It was kind of nauseating.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Alright people, I'm back, let's talk sports.

On 7/26/2022 at 3:24 PM, LoadStar said:

That's actually a lot more than I thought, at least when based on the number of people who attended games in person. 

Attendance did look paltry for the most part.. if the USFL has teams play in home cities next season, I can only wonder if that'll still be the case.

On 7/24/2022 at 8:43 PM, Action Newsroom said:

Plans are finalizing for the 2023 season. New cities Las Vegas, Orlando and San Antonio join the list of eight franchises -- replacing L.A., NYC and Tampa. Kickoff is on February 18.

Orlando and San Antonio make sense... attendance numbers were strong when the AAF was in town (SA led the league, average of 27,721, Orlando nearing 20k).. Vegas sticks out though, with no stadium deal in place (would assume they'd try to stick a deal at Allegiant, I think Sam Boyd's out of the equation). Be interesting to see what happens next.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
30 minutes ago, Viper550 said:

ESPN appears to have iterated from the XFL 2020 graphics. Still a similar design based off the MNF graphics, but the scoreboard is much flatter and brighter (in fact it was blinding until they put the ticker up)

Not sure about how I feel about the timeouts being stacked, but I kinda like it. It’s much better than what they use for the NFL.

Apparently, they also show milliseconds when the clock goes under 1 minute, which apparently confused some people 😂

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...