MY 53 (KMSG, Fresno) using unlicensed music?

On 4/3/2022 at 12:21 PM, C Block said:

What a disaster. The whole newscast is just content lifted from other news outlets (including some from other Fresno stations). Looks like a failed reporter who is just putting his YouTube show full of stolen content onto TV?

Hey there I would love for you to see my "failed" newscast today and reply back. Go to our YT channel @mytv53

If you think I'm a failed reporter, please respond to what I have done with this news department now. 

I'd love for all of you haters to watch my newscast today, less than 2 years later mind you. Please reply and let me know how you really think. Our ratings HAVE jumped and we are a competitor with the bigger guys now so all of you talking crap helped me to produce a VERY GOOD product, today. So thank you for the support! Lol

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Austin R said:

I'd love for all of you haters to watch my newscast today, less than 2 years later mind you. Please reply and let me know how you really think. Our ratings HAVE jumped and we are a competitor with the bigger guys now so all of you talking crap helped me to produce a VERY GOOD product, today. So thank you for the support! Lol

I’m watching it right now, and WOAH. You added good graphics, outside reporters, and news EXCLUSIVES? My goodness. I do think that if it’s only an 8pm newscast, you could probably add more newscasts at different times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lots of improvement, the reporters teasing their stories adds a lot of authenticity. 

The lighting on the main anchor is another area to work on - it's faded compared to the high resolution and brightness of the graphics, as well as compared to the quality of the field reports. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Last week, the newscast wasn't on YouTube, and this week, the reporters have been running the show, and their inexperience at anchoring clearly shows. They had a local actress, Geovonna Casanova, anchor a couple of days, and she was not much better. I'm not sure if Austin Reed is taking some vacation, out for other reasons, or gone completely, and appreciate people exerting an effort, but it is not good. 

• Sad 1

On 1/26/2024 at 9:18 PM, polyiguana said:

Last week, the newscast wasn't on YouTube, and this week, the reporters have been running the show, and their inexperience at anchoring clearly shows. They had a local actress, Geovonna Casanova, anchor a couple of days, and she was not much better. I'm not sure if Austin Reed is taking some vacation, out for other reasons, or gone completely, and appreciate people exerting an effort, but it is not good. 

Maybe this has something to do with it now that KAPP/KVEW has him.

https://www.applevalleynewsnow.com/users/profile/austin reed/?fbclid=IwAR3N6x-077_xEKeFFOZbs-j9InPUknXKAOEbF8UYiEVMUbH6bkvupqXbnm0

So it looks like he did "transition to a behind the scenes role" on January 12, although it seemed like when he left, he not only took himself, but also the graphics package and Emma Ott, the only other reporter which didn't seem like they belonged in market 150 or below. Odds are will 50/50 this make its two year anniversary and close to zero it runs to the end of the year.

Yes! Jason Valentine left KVE...I meant, 'Apple Valley News Now' :classic_blush: to take a job in Franklin County government...he is the new government affairs coordinator. Franklin County consists of Pasco and other smaller towns to the north.

https://www.nbcrightnow.com/tricities/new-government-affairs-coordinator-in-franklin-county/video_fd7eb3a0-aab7-11ee-a9df-978d45c93036.html

Austin is up here now. He's not too bad so far! We spend more time watching KIMA local news...still going strong with our British anchor, John Kennedy O'Connor 🙂 but I do catch ch 35 news here and there.

19 hours ago, evv_mlis said:

The 2/1 newscast and weather report with "Sexual Eruption" in the background of the forecast is...wow... 

It feels like it would go well with the film Idiocracy.

I mean GDLA always plays music during the weather reports but at least there is someone talking over it 😂

Well it seems like someone has been reading this forum (or sick of the copyright strikes on YouTube) as they've replaced the bumper music for the weather with long cuts of NewsOne. Just doing a quick check-in of MyTV53 News post Austin Reed, he is still apparently occasionally contributing an evergreen segment, or it is a repeat from the archives. In addition to Emma Ott leaving, all the other reporters, Sheila Gaytan, Valentina Saldana, and Eric Walker, have left and so it is a two person group, and Geovonna looks like she is phoning it in with "tonight's big story" as a tease (literally) and lots of Democracy Now and government propaganda content (Voice of America and PR videos from school district and local government YouTubes). I'm honestly not sure why they even bother, Austin really was industrious at getting stories and reworking press releases from police departments and small businesses into content somewhat worthy of a newscast. Neither of the two remaining staff seem to want to exert the same level of effort. We know that Chocola is cheap but at some point, you have to wonder whether the fuzzy feelings of running a local newscast is worth putting out a product that makes high school newscasts look good.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, polyiguana said:

Well it seems like someone has been reading this forum (or sick of the copyright strikes on YouTube) as they've replaced the bumper music for the weather with long cuts of NewsOne. Just doing a quick check-in of MyTV53 News post Austin Reed, he is still apparently occasionally contributing an evergreen segment, or it is a repeat from the archives. In addition to Emma Ott leaving, all the other reporters, Sheila Gaytan, Valentina Saldana, and Eric Walker, have left and so it is a two person group, and Geovonna looks like she is phoning it in with "tonight's big story" as a tease (literally) and lots of Democracy Now and government propaganda content (Voice of America and PR videos from school district and local government YouTubes). I'm honestly not sure why they even bother, Austin really was industrious at getting stories and reworking press releases from police departments and small businesses into content somewhat worthy of a newscast. Neither of the two remaining staff seem to want to exert the same level of effort. We know that Chocola is cheap but at some point, you have to wonder whether the fuzzy feelings of running a local newscast is worth putting out a product that makes high school newscasts look good.

I don't know if I should take that as a compliment or an insult, especially since we're dealing with KSMG here!

Early KMSG was a one man band with a pastiche of stories taken with marginal attribution from big city news stations, police blotter propaganda, and random long form interviews. If you look at December 2023 and January 2024 it looked like a reasonable newscast, although the reporters and talent needed to project more confidence in their delivery (the only exception was Emma Ott, who as a literal VSCO girl could pull that off more professionally). Now I think it has fallen well below the Alpenas and Zanesvilles of the world. 

Edited by polyiguana

Since this is the "news music and voiceovers" thread, on last night's newscast NewsOne was dropped and they ran an eight minute story on a road widening project. Also, they went back to the old habits of just running a random story from Access Hollywood on Travis Kelce dubbed by Geovonna. Why does Chocola even bother?

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 4/13/2024 at 5:21 AM, bgiesing said:

Did they shut it down? They haven't posted a single newscast on YouTube since March 5th

It's from Wikipedia so take it for what it's worth but it looks like the news department was shut down.

Marcus Esparza officially left on March 12th. So guaranteed it's gone.

https://www.facebook.com/marcus.esparza.1/posts/pfbid0XUxzXi4ycYogTajXReEBPeW4UpTUYJv1DXnuQ2opu2tnphTY8D76bt7CN8aBMUAl

Edited by jerseyfla
Marcus Esparza status

1 hour ago, jerseyfla said:

It's from Wikipedia so take it for what it's worth but it looks like the news department was shut down.

Marcus Esparza officially left on March 12th. So guaranteed it's gone.

https://www.facebook.com/marcus.esparza.1/posts/pfbid0XUxzXi4ycYogTajXReEBPeW4UpTUYJv1DXnuQ2opu2tnphTY8D76bt7CN8aBMUAl

It was shut down I was part of the team I got the call while I was on vacation. While I cannot explain the full details it was an abrupt shut down for us.

Edited by GraphicsMan
  • Empathetic 3