MY 53 (KMSG, Fresno) using unlicensed music?

In case you haven’t seen Studio 31’s post, KMSG (fixed) in Fresno launched an 8pm newscast. 

The music used includes Eyewitness News (for weather) News One Versions 1&2 (for main theme) Impact for a segment and This is Home for Sports… 

What’s interesting about this is you can clearly hear the ‘chirp’ in the NewsOne theme from News Music Now’s website…

Edited by 24994J
Correct spelling.

What a disaster. The whole newscast is just content lifted from other news outlets (including some from other Fresno stations). Looks like a failed reporter who is just putting his YouTube show full of stolen content onto TV?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, C Block said:

What a disaster. The whole newscast is just content lifted from other news outlets (including some from other Fresno stations). Looks like a failed reporter who is just putting his YouTube show full of stolen content onto TV?

and we all thought NewsNet was bad … lol

— Matt

• Haha 4

• 24994J changed the title to MY 53 (KMSG, Fresno) using unlicensed music?
9 hours ago, HoosierNewsie said:

In case you haven’t seen Studio 31’s post, KMSG (fixed) in Fresno launched an 8pm newscast. 

The music used includes Eyewitness News (for weather) News One Versions 1&2 (for main theme) Impact for a segment and This is Home for Sports… 

What’s interesting about this is you can clearly hear the ‘chirp’ in the NewsOne theme from News Music Now’s website…

There is no recorded evidence of this, but an LPTV in Phoenix tried to do its own local news in 1993, with News Director/anchor Jack Rebney (better known now for the viral video outtakes from a Winnebago dealers tape he did a few years prior). This was bad, but the "KDMA (K25DM) News" was probably worse.

The previous Channel 53 in Fresno wasn't known for its high production values either:

Edited by TVIntheDesert
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, susquvalleywgal said:

and we all thought NewsNet was bad … lol

— Matt

KMSG did the impossible. They made WSVI look like WSVN.

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.pngunknown.png

I can understand a budget of nothing and a staff of just Austin and a producer, but Ed Agre was a news department of one and KXGN put out a far more competent product on-air.

Edited by Myron Falwell
  • Like 1

Austin posted in the comments of the Studio 31 video that the music is totally licensed and we can contact "Mark Agent" about it, or somebody named "Gary".

408443965_ScreenShot2022-04-04at9_28_36AM.thumb.png.11784a225771885bfd8bacfe48954dc1.png

458970048_ScreenShot2022-04-04at9_29_57AM.png.cc66e2ec3635e5a588f1bb242cc6252f.png

I'm just curious how they managed to license all these themes.

• Haha 4

17 minutes ago, Weeters said:

Austin posted in the comments of the Studio 31 video that the music is totally licensed and we can contact "Mark Agent" about it, or somebody named "Gary".

408443965_ScreenShot2022-04-04at9_28_36AM.thumb.png.11784a225771885bfd8bacfe48954dc1.png

458970048_ScreenShot2022-04-04at9_29_57AM.png.cc66e2ec3635e5a588f1bb242cc6252f.png

Wouldn't be surprised it's "Source: Dude, Trust Me, Bro"

3 minutes ago, Myron Falwell said:

Wouldn't be surprised it's "Source: Dude, Trust Me, Bro"

22 minutes ago, Weeters said:

"Gary" is station owner Gary Cocola, who is the "king of Central Valley LPTVs." He leases most of those channels out to third parties.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TVIntheDesert said:

"Gary" is station owner Gary Cocola, who is the "king of Central Valley LPTVs." He leases most of those channels out to third parties.

Sure doesn't sound like someone who would be thinking about getting licenses for newscast themes.

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, detroiter313 said:

I wonder who would contact the webmaster of NewsMusicNow about Austin ripping off cuts from the site?

Bigger concern... someone should be reaching out to Warner Chappell who actually owns the copyright for those works.

• Like 1

In the interest of fairness, as the person responsible for posting the video that went "viral"....

Austin Reed did post tonight's newscast and he did take everyone's concerns to heart. 

He has replaced all of the various music lifted off of News Music Now with proper News One tracks that he is authorized to use, downloaded directly from WCPM, and only that package. 

I think he did read the FTVLIve piece that was published this morning and got rid of the podcaster-hosted sports segment in favor of an extended interview. He also put a disclaimer at the end that it was recorded at CentralValleyTalk.com studios (an obvious swipe at FTVLive for claiming that it was shot in his basement). 

13 hours ago, Weeters said:

He actually did license it — he sent my friend the contract he has with WCPM, so it is legal. Mark Agent is a legitimate person, the licensing director for WCPM. Apparently he had difficulties downloading the audio tracks and resorted to NMN for the first show. Should he have done that? No, but give him credit for getting that rectified quickly.

3 hours ago, detroiter313 said:

I wonder who would contact the webmaster of NewsMusicNow about Austin ripping off cuts from the site?

News Music Now is very much aware. He commented on my video:

IMG_1688.thumb.jpg.9671610f0951166319a62471723004d5.jpg

2 hours ago, qunewsguy said:

Bigger concern... someone should be reaching out to Warner Chappell who actually owns the copyright for those works.

They are licensed, so nothing is going to come of this.

At the end of the day, I do feel kind of bad that Austin has received some of the hate he's gotten. Some of it is rightfully so and well deserved: lifting others' news video (even if he gave a YouTube credit) is not acceptable, and is not fair use if he's profiting off of it (which he is, there's advertising, it's all direct response ads, but there's ads) and he does seem to be making some strides to getting things right. There was a fair amount of lifted video this evening so I think it'll take him a while, but nowhere near the amount that there was Friday. The presentation could use a lot of work, and he knows that. He is actively shopping around for a graphics package and has had interest from a couple of designers.

Given the fact that is a one person operation, I will give him credit and I think this product is only going to improve over time. He had a week to launch (they were airing NewsNet in the timeslot the past three months after they declined to renew their outsourcing arrangement with KFSN at the end of 2021) and I guess they had to have NewsNet gone by the end of March. So I will give him a lot of props for stringing together what he could on such short notice.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, sanewsguy said:

At the end of the day, I do feel kind of bad that Austin has received some of the hate he's gotten. Some of it is rightfully so and well deserved: lifting others' news video (even if he gave a YouTube credit) is not acceptable, and is not fair use if he's profiting off of it (which he is, there's advertising, it's all direct response ads, but there's ads) and he does seem to be making some strides to getting things right. There was a fair amount of lifted video this evening so I think it'll take him a while, but nowhere near the amount that there was Friday. The presentation could use a lot of work, and he knows that. He is actively shopping around for a graphics package and has had interest from a couple of designers.

Given the fact that is a one person operation, I will give him credit and I think this product is only going to improve over time. He had a week to launch (they were airing NewsNet in the timeslot the past three months after they declined to renew their outsourcing arrangement with KFSN at the end of 2021) and I guess they had to have NewsNet gone by the end of March. So I will give him a lot of props for stringing together what he could on such short notice.

I feel like... 10% bad for him. News seems to be his passion and I wish the guy luck, but he's been in the biz for decades now. He started in his teens with public access "news" programs. Which for being a teen, was impressive. He even got his show posted on NMSA under "Rose City News".

But...he's not a teen anymore and he's since had multiple stints at professional stations in various positions. So he's more than had enough time to bring his skills up to snuff. If this is what he's putting out, the criticism is deserved.

Edited by PTVNews
  • Like 4

Compare to WSVI in their Jerome Agean/Wes Small era and their newscasts become infinitely more watchable:

It’s not that Austin Reed made an attempt. The technical effort is simply nonexistent, it plays like a no-budget parody of a WatchMojo countdown video that somehow got played on OTA TV.

Edited by Myron Falwell
  • Like 1

Not sure who first replied to NMN’s comment, but if we’re going to be honest, I don’t think they are “well positioned to be commenting…” They clearly don’t understand how big of a risk this could’ve been to the future of News Music Now and even NMSA. 

I wouldn’t say NMN has unauthorized use. I know the news music publishers know about News Music Now. Some publishers I’ve spoke with have mentioned the site, other publishers have been tagged in his posts and they’ve reacted to and even commented his posts. He has taken steps to prevent copyright violations and this exact situation from happening.  

Luckily, this was all a VERY BIG misunderstanding and he actually has a license for News One. But if cuts start getting ripped from the site by tv stations to use, they could view News Music Now and even the NMSA as a threat and ask for the sites to be shut down, then what would we all do? 

With all that being said, let this be a lesson to all of us, myself included… “don’t judge a book by it’s cover”. Austin is taking a chance and following a dream and that’s more than a lot of people can say. I hope these people criticizing him and critiquing him are reaching out to him and offering to help in any way possible; and if not, sit back down. 

I know I hope to see it grow and this newscast be successful. 

E07848F1-9971-4012-9456-A1789FF01AAB.jpeg

Edited by HoosierNewsie
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, HoosierNewsie said:

Not sure who first replied to NMN’s comment, but if we’re going to be honest, I don’t think they are “well positioned to be commenting…” They clearly don’t understand how big of a risk this could’ve been to the future of News Music Now and even NMSA. 

Not saying I agree with that comment to begin with, but in the interest of fairness:

csreedabc is Chris Reed, owner of Newsmusic Central and also a copyright lawyer in his day job. So I can see why he said what he said.

• Like 4