New KNBN logo

GodfreyGR

KNBN (Rapid City SD) appears to be in the process of implementing a new logo- Old one still appears on the website, but the new one appears on-air and on social media.

I get it- Play button works great for OTT/streaming, NBC logo colors, Probably last in the ratings behind KOTA/KEVN and KELO so needs a change...

What I don't get- How is this more effective than the NBC logo itself? Also the whole GooglePlay logo comparisons

KNBN.png

They're still using The Rock - but for bumpers only - and the former Scripps graphics. They're now using Stephen Arnold's Everywhere I Go theme for the open.

(video from YT user DADOSUPERMARIO2)

My hometown NBC station! 
The new logo is weird, worth nothing they also switched to “NewsCenter 1 Media Group” a week after KELO added “Media Group” to its name. As for Everywhere I Go, makes sense as they’ve used it during promos for 5+ years, I remember the old open had a prominent “Everywhere You Go” transition before cutting to the anchor. 

I’m sure NC1 is still in last place however they have news where others don’t, KNBN does a 5PM & 6PM only competing with KELO at 5 and  KEVN at 6, and since KELO starts CBS Primetime at 6PM Mountain Time, they don’t have to worry about another split. NC1 has always had a good morning show, not sure what it’s like now but they were known for good weather segments  and upbeat morning people when I was growing up. They are very low budget however and finally went HD in 2016, on a random Thursday night, and hardly mentioned it. But still retain local ownership (Jim Simpson) which has its benefits. 

Thanks for posting this! 😁

3 hours ago, jrogo said:

My hometown NBC station! 
The new logo is weird, worth nothing they also switched to “NewsCenter 1 Media Group” a week after KELO added “Media Group” to its name. As for Everywhere I Go, makes sense as they’ve used it during promos for 5+ years, I remember the old open had a prominent “Everywhere You Go” transition before cutting to the anchor. 

I’m sure NC1 is still in last place however they have news where others don’t, KNBN does a 5PM & 6PM only competing with KELO at 5 and  KEVN at 6, and since KELO starts CBS Primetime at 6PM Mountain Time, they don’t have to worry about another split. NC1 has always had a good morning show, not sure what it’s like now but they were known for good weather segments  and upbeat morning people when I was growing up. They are very low budget however and finally went HD in 2016, on a random Thursday night, and hardly mentioned it. But still retain local ownership (Jim Simpson) which has its benefits. 

Thanks for posting this! 😁

I'm all for local ownership and that usually means a lower budget as a result- especially against Gray and Nexstar. They don't use just "KNBN", and try to differentiate themselves from "KOTA" and "KELO(land)" by using NC1- and that's probably good marketing. The pairings of graphics/logo/music just doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

18 hours ago, GodfreyGR said:

KNBN (Rapid City SD) appears to be in the process of implementing a new logo- Old one still appears on the website, but the new one appears on-air and on social media.

I get it- Play button works great for OTT/streaming, NBC logo colors, Probably last in the ratings behind KOTA/KEVN and KELO so needs a change...

What I don't get- How is this more effective than the NBC logo itself? Also the whole GooglePlay logo comparisons

KNBN.png

All I see when I look at the new logo…

DBB062AE-D2F3-4A62-90C1-9D4BB077710A.png

20 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

I guess the old Scripps package is up for grabs too.  Who created it, and was it always an external thing that Scripps licensed for themselves during it's usage?

Originally, Inergy was limited to the Scripps stations, then others began picking it up in other markets.....

RenderOn created the pack. Not sure it was always an external thing, or if there was some kind of hold for a certain amount of time before non Scripps stations could pick it up. 

On 4/3/2022 at 11:17 AM, tyrannical bastard said:

I guess the old Scripps package is up for grabs too.  Who created it, and was it always an external thing that Scripps licensed for themselves during it's usage?

Originally, Inergy was limited to the Scripps stations, then others began picking it up in other markets.....

Well - WJAX/WFOX has had the "Scripps" gfx package for years as well - And the logo - I am glad someone else noticed Google Play. It is definitely different. 

1 hour ago, CLT-DCA-ORF-PTI said:

Well - WJAX/WFOX has had the "Scripps" gfx package for years as well - And the logo - I am glad someone else noticed Google Play. It is definitely different. 

They've had it since 2018, about the time when Scripps was getting ready to phase it out on their stations.  It was pretty long in the tooth by then.

What pushed them to adopt the new look was getting the Cordillera stations, as well as all of the leftovers from Raycom-Gray and Nexstar-Tribune.

11 hours ago, CLT-DCA-ORF-PTI said:

It's not the same look. It just looks similar and is also designed by Renderon.

On 4/3/2022 at 11:17 AM, tyrannical bastard said:

They've had these graphics for at least 2 years... 

1 hour ago, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

They've had these graphics for at least 2 years... 

On 4/4/2022 at 7:44 PM, tyrannical bastard said:

They've had it since 2018, about the time when Scripps was getting ready to phase it out on their stations.  It was pretty long in the tooth by then.

What pushed them to adopt the new look was getting the Cordillera stations, as well as all of the leftovers from Raycom-Gray and Nexstar-Tribune.

They've had this package since 2016. They ran it along side Scripps.

Archived