2022 NFL Season

Georgie56

Just now, Georgie56 said:

The NFL has postponed tonight’s Bills-Bengals MNF game after Bills safety Damar Hamlin collapsed on the field. 

Truly unprecedented. 

It looks like they are filling the hour until 10/11pm (on ABC) so local stations can start their local news on time. 

They definitely made the right call on suspending this game until both teams feel they are able to play again.

• Like 5

JEERS to ABC for airing commercials during this monumental tragedy. It should have been commercial-free from the time the ambulance drove onto the field.

CHEERS to Westwood One's radio coverage - Kevin Harlan and Curt Warner have been amazing tonight. They went to continuous coverage all the way through the postponement announcement.

I am glad that ABC is running SportsCenter on the local stations, instead of finding an emergency AFV or movie repeat.

Edited by VHSgoodiesWA

This was one of the scariest things to witness. I love this game but it’s absolutely not worth it when witnessing scenes like this. Praying for Damar.

ESPN, ABC and SVP are doing an exceptional job. Incredible call by ABC to take the ESPN simulcast with no commercial ads. They get a lot of criticism for some situations, but tonight the entire Disney-ABC-ESPN operation is doing exceptional.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, VHSgoodiesWA said:

JEERS to ABC for airing commercials during this monumental tragedy. It should have been commercial-free from the time the ambulance drove onto the field.

Most of the breaks were ABC and NFL promos where nobody was getting paid, though (and the local stations still require their break time). And before 9:15 they still thought the game would resume. You can't go continuous with a lot of unknowns and nothing really happening, and people need time to decompress and figure out what's going on and to vent off-air before going back on-air.

After the game was suspended they did indeed stay continuous. Under the circumstances I have nothing but respect for how things were covered, and god forbid if this was a few years ago we'd have to deal with Ditka or the like (or as we saw on another network, Skip Bayless) trying to scream 'the game should go on, we have such wusses in this league now'. Thankfully that side didn't get any oxygen tonight, and it was the right call.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I generally dislike modern ESPN for being a non-stop hot take machine, but everyone on the air tonight did a phenomenal job. They treated it as a developing public interest story while respecting Damar Hamlin and his family. Most importantly, they weren’t speculative about the situation, and stuck to reporting the news without spreading rumors.

I know they got a little bit of flack for airing ads, and I suppose they could’ve done without showing the players crying on multiple occasions. Some of that criticism is fair, but I feel like some of it is coming from people who were going to criticize ESPN no matter what they did. Thing is, there’s not much precedent for this in NFL broadcasting, and it was something that came as a total shock to both the viewers and the broadcasters. ESPN did the best job you could expect anyone to do in this situation. And of course, prayers up for Damar and his family.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, VHSgoodiesWA said:

Hamlin is still in critical condition with no further updates. Game will not be made up tomorrow night either, from what I hear.

It’s the right decision IMO. I know they haven’t made changes to week 18 so far, but I really wouldn’t blame the NFL if they postponed those games too.

• Like 1

I think that depends on the status of Damar. If he dies, I wouldn't be surprised if NFL pulls a "COVID-19" and cancels wild card games. But we're praying that he makes it through regardless. I don't know whether someone like this could ever return to the sport, but maybe after long recovery and therapy.

16 hours ago, VHSgoodiesWA said:

I think that depends on the status of Damar. If he dies, I wouldn't be surprised if NFL pulls a "COVID-19" and cancels wild card games. But we're praying that he makes it through regardless. I don't know whether someone like this could ever return to the sport, but maybe after long recovery and therapy.

We have to give ESPN/ABC (mainly ESPN), a lot of credit for handling the coverage of Damar Hamlin, they didn't sensationalize the story for clickbait or ratings, but instead handled it with grace and respect. More television newscasts should follow the lead.....

• 1 month later...

The international streaming offering of the NFL, Game Pass International, is leaving Endeavor Streaming. From next season, they are teaming up with DAZN and, as a result, they will be integrated into their offerings.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-dazn-enter-long-term-agreement-delivering-game-pass-international-beginning-