2022 NFL Season

Georgie56

On 9/17/2022 at 8:33 PM, Spring Rubber said:

I'm curious if there's any way to fix the colors of the clock with a chroma key effect. I'm guessing it would be difficult/impossible with the selection of colors being displayed on that clock.

I forgot to take a picture, but in the 2nd half the clock background was changed to black with blue lettering.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Okay, the ratings are in for the first regular season installment of Thursday Night Football on Prime Video, and...

Not bad, actually. In fact, I'd say "impressive." The Chargers-Chiefs game from last week averaged 11.8 million viewers on Prime Video, according to Neilsen. When factoring in local over-the-air simulcasts in Kansas City (KSHB) and Los Angeles (KTTV), overall, the game drew 13.3 million viewers.

Strong start.

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2022/09/amazon-thursday-night-football-ratings-impressive-debut-chargers-chiefs/

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...

KHOU-TV in Criticized for Interrupting End of Bills-Lions Game - Sports Illustrated

I'm honestly not sure where this conversation should be talked about in, so, mods, feel free to move this post if necessary.

KHOU Channel 11 Houston cut off the last 25 seconds of today's Bills-Lions game in order to cover a tornado warning in the Houston area.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, H-Town TV Fan said:

KHOU-TV in Criticized for Interrupting End of Bills-Lions Game - Sports Illustrated

I'm honestly not sure where this conversation should be talked about in, so, mods, feel free to move this post if necessary.

KHOU Channel 11 Houston cut off the last 25 seconds of today's Bills-Lions game in order to cover a tornado warning in the Houston area.

Our house was frustrated to the say the least, especially once it was evident that the storm was losing steam for a tornado to materialize. I don’t think KHOU, or any station when this happens, should get flack for doing their job of keeping people safe. Josh Allem has had a number of clutch plays in his career, fans missing the latest one won’t hurt.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 11/24/2022 at 9:36 PM, H-Town TV Fan said:

Bad timing yes?  Was there another way of handling this (like the FOX station did) maybe?  But by FCC standards, practices and rules, they had to warn.  It amazes me how many viewers do not realize this.

-- Matt

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

The FCC does not require stations to relay weather alerts. They are only "required to provide the capability for the President to address the public during a national emergency." (https://www.fcc.gov/emergency-alert-system)

You can make the argument that relaying alerts from the National Weather Service is in the public interest, but it is not required.

• Like 2

Accessibility guidelines for those with visual or hearing impairments from the FCC themselves literally spell out what is required for a weather emergency. It can be an ADA violation not to do so because you're putting those without the ability to hear a NOAA radio warning or siren warning in danger, and in a professional manner, can get your AMS/NWA seal revoked.

Also if you REALLY need to watch or hear the game uninterrupted, Paramount+ has an NFL-only stream and Westwood One radio and the local radio calls are accessible in many ways. That, and the end of the game was immediately recapped after the game. Public safety>>>>>>degenerate gamblers.

Hopefully (and with how many times it's been promised since digital television started, it just needs to happen), ATSC 3.0 actually takes the 'zip code-based cut-in' carve-out seriously and will end these situations once and for all.

Edited by mrschimpf
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, susquvalleywgal said:

Bad timing yes?  Was there another way of handling this (like the FOX station did) maybe?  But by FCC standards, practices and rules, they had to warn.  It amazes me how many viewers do not realize this.

-- Matt

Plus, the game itself featured 2 out of market teams. Even though it was a national broadcast, it’s not like KHOU interrupted the Texans for their weather advisory. Not that it would’ve made a difference, of course; public safety always takes priority.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

Accessibility guidelines for those with visual or hearing impairments from the FCC themselves literally spell out what is required for a weather emergency. It can be an ADA violation not to do so because you're putting those without the ability to hear a NOAA radio warning or siren warning in danger, and in a professional manner, can get your AMS/NWA seal revoked.

Also if you REALLY need to watch or hear the game uninterrupted, Paramount+ has an NFL-only stream and Westwood One radio and the local radio calls are accessible in many ways. That, and the end of the game was immediately recapped after the game. Public safety>>>>>>degenerate gamblers.

Hopefully (and with how many times it's been promised since digital television started, it just needs to happen), ATSC 3.0 actually takes the 'zip code-based cut-in' carve-out seriously and will end these situations once and for all.

What would the "Zip-code based cut-in" do?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

What would the "Zip-code based cut-in" do?

Limit the area where the cut-in is inserted to the actual warned area; it wouldn't need to be vaguely a zip code any longer and could be by certain coordinates.

I do like another idea though myself; the WSI weather apps have a feature where a warned area can be drawn out on a map by the met and a video or text warning only goes to users affected by the warning in that specific shape (of course, if they allow the app GPS access). Only a few stations really take advantage of it, though. That honestly seems where things will end up going as we go into this transition.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...