2022 NFL Season

Georgie56

1 hour ago, caliwxdude said:

More than just the scorebug... the entire show is basically NBC Sunday Night Football on Thursday on Prime. Which is a really good thing for both football fans and the NFL—it uplevels the entire Thursday night game package into something that you'd want to watch week after week, instead of being an afterthought like it was in the Fox/NFL Network eras. The matchups were always crap in those days, and the production matched in quality. I'm sure the Fred Gaudelli/Al Michaels combo has a lot to do with the increase in overall quality, but also I thought Kirk Herbstreit was really great in his first true NFL role. Al makes it look easy, but he and Kirk already had great booth chemistry from the opening minutes of their first game. New music is awesome, too.

The matchups still might stink, but at least the TV will be great.

To be fair, the matchups don’t stink as much as they used to. Ravens v. Bucs, Titans v. Packers, and Bills v. Patriots are pretty good gets for Thursday Night Football. Even in weeks where the teams aren’t as strong, hopefully they’ll at least be more competitive than last night’s preseason game.

But yes, you can thank Fred Gaudelli for the excellent production quality. IMO, last night’s game was produced better than any football game I’ve seen on Fox or ESPN in recent years. And that game was just a preseason blowout.

Also, the entire game is available to replay on Prime Video. I’m not sure how long games will be available for, but that feature gives Prime an edge right off the bat.

Come to think of it, I wonder if we should start an “NFL on Prime” thread?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

But yes, you can thank Fred Gaudelli for the excellent production quality. IMO, last night’s game was produced better than any football game I’ve seen on Fox or ESPN in recent years. And that game was just a preseason blowout.

100%. I'm sure Bristol isn't too worried about things since MNF will still be a ratings juggernaut, but gotta wonder how they're going to compete in the overall production department with this. I'll stream TNF for Al Michaels... Joe Buck, not so much. 

Edited by caliwxdude
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, caliwxdude said:

100%. I'm sure Bristol isn't too worried about things since MNF will still be a ratings juggernaut, but gotta wonder how they're going to compete in the overall production department with this. I'll stream TNF for Al Michaels... Joe Buck, not so much. 

IIRC, ESPN will have flex scheduling (along with NBC) in the new rights deal, so they’ll be more than fine. Amazon needed Al Michaels (and Fred Gaudelli) more than ESPN because ESPN already has the draw of (reasonably) important games on a well-established platform. Amazon needed to establish credibility and get eyeballs on a platform NFL a viewers aren’t yet accustomed to; they couldn’t afford to experiment when it comes to the booth and game production.

ESPN has Buck and Aikman, who aren’t my absolute favorites, but they don’t put me off to the point where I won’t watch the game at all. They’re established, and that’s all ESPN needed. Besides, I’ll take it over Jason Witten and the Booger-mobile (God help us).

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Carolina Panthers, again: The third time any parts of the graphics have changed throughout the same preseason. This time, the text in the down and distance marker is larger.

large.F06301C3-B86D-428C-A624-ACCB91FA5D

Edited by DJonNews
  • Like 1

Pretty much all of the preseason games on local TV stations are NOT produced by the station itself. 

Like most of sports television, they hire an outside contractor that hires freelance crew members, and any ties to the station are usually station talent, certain personnel, and their logo, nothing more. 

Maybe they play a hand in designing the look and feel of the graphics, but many (especially the O&O stations that have the local rights) pretty much use the network package customized to the team.  And the teams themselves play a role in ensuring the branding is to their liking in their home market.

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Pretty much all of the preseason games on local TV stations are NOT produced by the station itself. 

Like most of sports television, they hire an outside contractor that hires freelance crew members, and any ties to the station are usually station talent, certain personnel, and their logo, nothing more. 

Maybe they play a hand in designing the look and feel of the graphics, but many (especially the O&O stations that have the local rights) pretty much use the network package customized to the team.  And the teams themselves play a role in ensuring the branding is to their liking in their home market.

Many teams have taken control and are managing the preseason TV and radio aspects either by producing themselves or by using a third party.  The Bears are using the same graphics for team promotions. The Packers almost everything is in-house, they have in-house video editors, producers and videographers. It’s getting to the point where there is little difference between the flagship radio or TV station or an affiliate for the Packers, the team has hired a few personal from the flagships for pre or post game work but that’s about it and that’s all under the Packers control. 

Edited by doublejman69
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, doublejman69 said:

Many teams have taken control and are managing the preseason TV and radio aspects either by producing themselves or by using a third party.  The Bears are using the same graphics for team promotions. The Packers almost everything is in-house, they have in-house video editors, producers and videographers. It’s getting to the point where there is little difference between the flagship radio or TV station or an affiliate for the Packers, the team has hired a few personal from the flagships for pre or post game work but that’s about it and that’s all under the Packers control. 

You can add the Steelers to the In-house Graphics as well even though you have CBS O&O KDKA-TV there. 

On 8/26/2022 at 10:22 AM, caliwxdude said:

More than just the scorebug... the entire show is basically NBC Sunday Night Football on Thursday on Prime. Which is a really good thing for both football fans and the NFL—it uplevels the entire Thursday night game package into something that you'd want to watch week after week, instead of being an afterthought like it was in the Fox/NFL Network eras. The matchups were always crap in those days, and the production matched in quality. I'm sure the Fred Gaudelli/Al Michaels combo has a lot to do with the increase in overall quality, but also I thought Kirk Herbstreit was really great in his first true NFL role. Al makes it look easy, but he and Kirk already had great booth chemistry from the opening minutes of their first game. New music is awesome, too.

The matchups still might stink, but at least the TV will be great.

I almost hate to say it... but between the talent, graphics, sets, and music, this might be my new favorite all-around current NFL production. Definitely holds its own to anything put out by the networks the last several years.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, H-Town TV Fan said:

Geeze Louise, NBC is STILL using the OUTDATED 2015 graphics for Notre Dame football coverage in 2022!

I would say that after coming so far without making a change, they're waiting for their new rights deals to start next year before making any changes to their non-NFL graphics.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, H-Town TV Fan said:

Geeze Louise, NBC is STILL using the OUTDATED 2015 graphics for Notre Dame football coverage in 2022!

<sportstake>I mean it's an old and outdated graphics package for an old and outdated football team 😉.</sportstake>

Meanwhile I checked out the HBCUGO broadcast game tonight...I do understand they intend to be going for the entertainment part of the football game, but I think they were having problems tonight; the time, down/distance and everything including the quarter had to be mentioned audibly instead of being in the bug (I don't even know if the triangle accents are for timeouts or merely decorative) and of course, no lines (when there was a score the bar faded out, suggesting they couldn't even do that on the fly!). I hope this is fixed, because even my local high school games on public access will throw in a scoreboard shot in a picture-in-picture if all else fails.

image.thumb.png.87d48950a625bdd3c895019bf48b03f7.png

Edited by mrschimpf
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, mrschimpf said:

<sportstake>I mean it's an old and outdated graphics package for an old and outdated football team 😉.</sportstake>

Meanwhile I checked out the HBCUGO broadcast game tonight...I do understand they intend to be going for the entertainment part of the football game, but I think they were having problems tonight; the time, down/distance and everything including the quarter had to be mentioned audibly instead of being in the bug (I don't even know if the triangle accents are for timeouts or merely decorative) and of course, no lines (when there was a score the bar faded out, suggesting they couldn't even do that on the fly!). I hope this is fixed, because even my local high school games on public access will throw in a scoreboard shot in a picture-in-picture if all else fails.

image.thumb.png.87d48950a625bdd3c895019bf48b03f7.png

Most high school games on TV can show the time left on the clock or other information.

• Like 2

We also had an interesting situation today: apparently ESPN sub-licensed two mid-major college football games to NFL Network. Seeing ESPN CFB graphics on NFL Network is a bit jarring, but given all the Thursday Night Football/NFLN Special situations we've had...

Edited by Viper550
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Viper550 said:

We also had an interesting situation today: apparently ESPN sub-licensed two mid-major college football games to NFL Network. Seeing ESPN CFB graphics on NFL Network is a bit jarring, but given all the Thursday Night Football/NFLN Special situations we've had...

Even more notable: Ed Orgeron sub-licensed himself to Lafayette😂

Anyway, a minor change for CBS. They added a transparent blue background to the top right logo bug.

4CBBFB67-74C7-4CC7-87A2-BEF072E6C15D.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, Viper550 said:

Fox NFL Sunday is getting a new studio

Watching the Niners and Bears game. This 360 set is beautiful. 

This augmented reality is amazing. I was thinking that camera shot behind the anchor desk showing the play by play would be some kind of chroma key set up but the video playing literally reflects off the plexiglass on the anchor desk.

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, AaronQ said:

Yeah hearing Joe Buck and Troy Aikman on ESPN is really weird. 

I’m not the biggest Joe Buck fan (although I certainly don’t hate him either), but hearing him and Troy on ESPN/ABC is…oddly comforting? I never thought I’d say that, but I suppose it’s because ESPN finally has a decent booth they can keep around for the long haul.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, mrschimpf said:

HBCUGO's scoreboard situation was indeed a one-week issue; we've got a much more robust one this week. image.thumb.png.b7864f57914d5ee71cd2fa8390cda2dd.png

They need to fix that scoreclock. You can barely see the lighter font on that light gray background.

Edited by CircleSeven
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

They need to fix that scoreclock. You can barely see the lighter font on that light gray background.

It's a stadium scoreboard shot (the venue is the former home of the Taxas Rangers, which doesn't have football-specific boards despite their football conversion), so there's not much they can do about it.

• Like 2