Obscure NFL Broadcast stories: YouTuber Jaguargator9

jerseyfla

I have recently discovered a YouTuber by the name of JaguarGator9 who does daily 15 minute videos covering obscure NFL historical stories and facts and almost half of them involve NFL broadcast controversies. Yesterday, he covered about when KYW in Philadelphia in 1986 decided not to air the first game of an assigned NBC doubleheader to instead show a movie. His videos are always an interesting watch and I always learn something new. Has anyone watched his videos before?

https://youtube.com/c/OfficialJaguarGator9

16 hours ago, jerseyfla said:

I have recently discovered a YouTuber by the name of JaguarGator9 who does daily 15 minute videos covering obscure NFL historical stories and facts and almost half of them involve NFL broadcast controversies. Yesterday, he covered about when KYW in Philadelphia in 1986 decided not to air the first game of an assigned NBC doubleheader to instead show a movie. His videos are always an interesting watch and I always learn something new. Has anyone watched his videos before?

https://youtube.com/c/OfficialJaguarGator9

Part of the reason for the big affiliate swap of 1995 was NBC's constant issues with KYW preempting national programing in favor of local/Group W content and them wanting an O&O in Philly to better control it.

They've become an everyday watch for me; he definitely does so much research into these NFL stories, and how it relates into how NFL media has gone from 'just airing the games' to just being an all-year juggernaut. I was sitting there yesterday in amazement that KYW would sell a game off to not-Fox 29 to air a baseball movie (not shocking from them though)! And then earlier in the week where he talked about how KTBC couldn't air a Cowboys game because of CBS interference; Fox would never venture near that now with Austin's growth.

One odd story comes to mind that I found a while back: for two consecutive Saturdays in August 1984, Lafayette, La. ABC station KATC pre-empted the network's primetime coverage of the Summer Olympics to show Saints pre-season games. Granted, those telecasts were produced by KATC's sister station WWL in New Orleans (a CBS affiliate, of course), but here's how an ABC spokesman responded to it per the New Orleans Times-Picayune, August 10, 1984:

219666483_1936516426516484_6755529774700235583_n.jpg

Archived