2022 MLB Season

Georgie56

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

They should have chopped the Bally bar in half and moved it to the top of the screen from the very beginning. I wonder if they're trying some things out this season to implement for next year...

• Thanks 2

Watching the alternate broadcast of the MLB Game of the Week on YouTube with celebrity guests in every inning...

...and judging by the live chat and the Twitter replies, we're only one inning in at the time of this post and already, the reception isn't good, as many fans are frustrated that they are forced to listen to the celebrity conversations (which are only barely related to baseball at all) take precedence over the baseball game itself. For fans of either team (Mariners or Angels), doubly so, as they say this is the only way they can watch it thanks to the regional blackout.

One person is quoted as saying "Would rather watch commercial breaks than this."

Edited by DJonNews

UPDATE: Six innings in now, and I'm seeing on the live chat people who are enjoying some of the guests on the lineup and the food being shown (presumably the holdovers who hadn't switched to the main feed and are just watching for the guests). The view count for the Alt-Cast is still less than the view count for the traditional YouTube broadcast (a lot less, in fact), but then again, that's to be expected. Not everyone is going to prefer the Alt-Cast over the traditional broadcast, but had it not had the early negative reception that it got (and also, even on the day before), I wouldn't have mentioned the view count nor the early reception.

As the old saying goes, "first impressions count," and more often than not, the first impression that you make will set the tone for the entire broadcast going forward.

Edited by DJonNews

3 hours ago, DJonNews said:

Watching the alternate broadcast of the MLB Game of the Week on YouTube with celebrity guests in every inning...

..and judging by the live chat and the Twitter replies, we're only one inning in at the time of this post and already, the reception isn't good, as many fans are frustrated that they are forced to listen to the celebrity conversations (which are only barely related to baseball at all) take precedence over the baseball game itself. For fans of either team (Mariners or Angels), doubly so, as they say this is the only way they can watch it thanks to the regional blackout.

One person is quoted as saying "Would rather watch commercial breaks than this."

The good thing about the YouTube broadcast is they do offer the radio play-by-play for each team through the settings/gear menu. They barely let you know that, but when you finally do, it's bliss. I do enjoy the Apple TV broadcasts but I wish they'd offer the same thing for FNB.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, mrschimpf said:

The good thing about the YouTube broadcast is they do offer the radio play-by-play for each team through the settings/gear menu. They barely let you know that, but when you finally do, it's bliss. I do enjoy the Apple TV broadcasts but I wish they'd offer the same thing for FNB.

I had no idea that was even a feature. Good on YouTube for making it available. People don’t like losing their local announcers on national games, so this eases that loss a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, then...

I thought we learned our lesson with NBC's infamous "Heidi Game" fiasco from 1968, but apparently, someone didn't...

https://awfulannouncing.com/mlb/giants-twins-coverage-rain-delay.html

The Giants-Twins game went into a rain delay for just under an hour after the seventh inning. Naturally, Fox switched viewers of that game over to the Braves-Cardinals marquee matchup. When that game ended, Fox showed a preview of its upcoming show, "Monarch." Why is this a problem? Would I be asking that question if I didn't put up the intro before the link? You know why: because Fox forgot that the Giants-Twins game resumed play! And need I remind you that the Giants were leading that game 1-0 at the end of seven by the time the rain delay happened?

It wouldn't matter that much if the game was either a blowout or uninteresting, and Fox would have had perfect reason to go to the "Monarch" preview. But what if there was a no-hitter on the line? What if someone was about to pull off the first perfect game since 2012? What if there was a combined no-hitter? A combined perfect game (which has never, ever happened in the history of MLB)? A one-run game (as this game was)? A tie game? A back-and-forth battle? A milestone home run? A milestone hit (like the 3,000th)? Surely you wouldn't want to make viewers angry by cutting away from all of those in favor of the show you want to promote, right? Right?!

At least it wasn't a total loss; viewers could still watch the game they were missing out on by going to the Fox Sports app... provided Fox let you know about it in the first place without having to rely on your own knowledge! And for what it's worth, Fox did eventually go back to the game... which was in extra innings!

Like I said, I thought networks would get the memo by now and not repeat what happened with the "Heidi Game" fiasco in 1968, but apparently, one of them didn't.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DJonNews said:

Well, then...

I thought we learned our lesson with NBC's infamous "Heidi Game" fiasco from 1968, but apparently, someone didn't...

https://awfulannouncing.com/mlb/giants-twins-coverage-rain-delay.html

The Giants-Twins game went into a rain delay for just under an hour after the seventh inning. Naturally, Fox switched viewers of that game over to the Braves-Cardinals marquee matchup. When that game ended, Fox showed a preview of its upcoming show, "Monarch." Why is this a problem? Would I be asking that question if I didn't put up the intro before the link? You know why: because Fox forgot that the Giants-Twins game resumed play! And need I remind you that the Giants were leading that game 1-0 at the end of seven by the time the rain delay happened?

It wouldn't matter that much if the game was either a blowout or uninteresting, and Fox would have had perfect reason to go to the "Monarch" preview. But what if there was a no-hitter on the line? What if someone was about to pull off the first perfect game since 2012? What if there was a combined no-hitter? A combined perfect game (which has never, ever happened in the history of MLB)? A one-run game (as this game was)? A tie game? A back-and-forth battle? A milestone home run? A milestone hit (like the 3,000th)? Surely you wouldn't want to make viewers angry by cutting away from all of those in favor of the show you want to promote, right? Right?!

At least it wasn't a total loss; viewers could still watch the game they were missing out on by going to the Fox Sports app... provided Fox let you know about it in the first place without having to rely on your own knowledge! And for what it's worth, Fox did eventually go back to the game... which was in extra innings!

Like I said, I thought networks would get the memo by now and not repeat what happened with the "Heidi Game" fiasco in 1968, but apparently, one of them didn't.

If I'm reading this correctly, they didn't even return the local markets of the two teams back to the game, right? Ridiculous if so.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Spring Rubber said:

If I'm reading this correctly, they didn't even return the local markets of the two teams back to the game, right? Ridiculous if so.

Well, here's the thing: At least Fox recognized that this was a mistake and returned to the game as soon as possible, so it's not as bad. Too bad it was in extra innings by the time the game returned.

For what it's worth, at least it wasn't a true repeat of what happened in the "Heidi Game" fiasco. After all, it could have been worse: Viewers would have missed out on a walk-off in the bottom of the ninth inning. Fox definitely wouldn't have returned to the game then, as the game would be over by that point.

Remember how the "Heidi Game" saw tons of viewers angry that they missed out on two late-game touchdowns from the then-Oakland Raiders? It wasn't just viewers, though; even the family members of many New York Jets players were upset, as they were never told of the game's actual conclusion. For further backlash, not only did NBC start the "Heidi" movie as promised (because ratings and also jammed switchboards) rather than stay with the game until its eventual conclusion, but they made the bone-headed move of displaying the final score while the movie was going on in a case of bad timing following a case of bad timing. I won't go into further detail here, as Wikipedia goes much more in-depth on this than I can.

Like I said, at least Fox didn't make this a true repeat of the "Heidi Game," as they did realize their mistake and eventually went back to the game, even though a lot of big moments were lost due to the "Monarch" preview... that is, if you weren't watching the game on the Fox Sports app or better yet, listening to the game on radio.

Edited by DJonNews
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...

Something I've noticed that might have been part of the new MLB contracts; did the 2020 wild card games have regional broadcasts? Sportsnet was doing local broadcasts for the Blue Jays games rather than simulcasting ESPN's feed.

The last time they were in the postseason, there were no local broadcasts at all. Could MLB have taken a page from how the NBA has handled its Canadian broadcasts? (by contrast, Sportsnet and TSN did their own broadcasts for every Raptors playoff game).

7 hours ago, Viper550 said:

Something I've noticed that might have been part of the new MLB contracts; did the 2020 wild card games have regional broadcasts? Sportsnet was doing local broadcasts for the Blue Jays games rather than simulcasting ESPN's feed.

The last time they were in the postseason, there were no local broadcasts at all. Could MLB have taken a page from how the NBA has handled its Canadian broadcasts? (by contrast, Sportsnet and TSN did their own broadcasts for every Raptors playoff game).

The SportsNet broadcasts may have been specific to the Blue Jays, I have not seen any indication that games were on Bally Sports GL, Sun, MW, or SD, SNY, ROOTNW or NBCSP.

Edited by JCB4TV

1 hour ago, Big Rollo Smokes said:

...not since 1983, the last year that LCS games had dual regional and national TV coverage.

1983 ALCS

National: NBC

Orioles: WMAR (NBC) with Orioles' Broadcasters

White Sox: WFLD (Independent) superseding WMAQ

1983 NLCS

Dodgers: KTTV (Independent) superseding KNBC

Phillies: WTAF (Independent) superseding KYW

12 hours ago, JCB4TV said:

1983 ALCS

Orioles: WMAR (NBC) with Orioles' Broadcasters

White Sox: WFLD (Independent) superseding WMAQ

1983 NLCS

Dodgers: KTTV (Independent) superseding KNBC

Phillies: WTAF (Independent) superseding KYW

"Superseding" is used incorrectly here. That implies that the ABC/NBC affiliate did not carry the games and deferred to the local station, which did not happen.

In '83, NBC's ALCS coverage wasn't aired in Baltimore because WMAR-TV chose to do their own broadcast. So to clarify:

1983 ALCS

Orioles: WMAR (NBC) with Orioles' Broadcasters (NBC broadcast was blacked out in-market)

White Sox: WFLD (Independent) complementing WMAQ

1983 NLCS

Dodgers: KTTV (Independent) complementing KNBC

Phillies: WTAF (Independent) complementing KYW

1 hour ago, MD TV said:

I think it ended because in 1982 TBS was going to show the Braves coverage nationwide and the courts put a stop to that. Had it continued in 1984 there would've been the same dilemma with WGN and the Cubs.

In '84, the Mets were contending for the NL East title along with the Cubs. And if they made the postseason, WOR-TV would have faced the same issue WGN-TV was staring at, and that WTBS did deal with in '82. So MLB did this to codify their broadcast partners (ABC and NBC). A straight money grab.

Edited by Big Rollo Smokes
  • Like 1