CBS O&O's New Websites

24994J

On 4/24/2022 at 2:56 PM, nycnewsjunkie said:

That said, I’m not sure why CBS wants to de-emphasize local brands on all of their stations, given that there tends to be more trust in local news than national news (and CBS News isn’t exactly dominating the ratings in mornings and evenings.)

Agreed. Uniformity with a distinct touch of individualism is cool. As I've previously expressed I think CBS' problem is that they try to duplicate a generic format without a locally authentic touch in a lot of their o&o cities. Yes ABC for example has duplicated the ABC 7-Eyewitnes News branding across multiple cities, which is fine, but there's a distinct feel between the New York and Los Angeles stations. I remember when KPIX had to do the news for WCBS, it was almost indistinguishable that the news was being broadcast from another studio/station on the other side of the country.

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/24/2022 at 2:56 PM, nycnewsjunkie said:

That said, I’m not sure why CBS wants to de-emphasize local brands on all of their stations, given that there tends to be more trust in local news than national news (and CBS News isn’t exactly dominating the ratings in mornings and evenings.)

The goal here is to remake CBS News as a collective of the O&Os, so unified branding on all platforms is a necessity.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I firmly believe the de-emphasis of the call signs and channel numbers is 100% intentional, and the "white box" on some of the websites is a temporary thing to tie a few of the stations with "legacy brands" to the new brands. Why? Because it doesn't matter if you're "CBS 2 WXXX" on the internet, which is where the audience these groups are going after is. People say "won't this confuse viewers?" while the same viewers are the ones who can't understand that KDKA-TV and KDKA 1020 are owned by two different companies. The viewers who might be "confused" are not the viewers the stations want.

I predict that, sometime in the near future, these "legacy call sign" stations will simply brand themselves on-air like "CBS News Pittsburgh on KDKA 2" for a while before dropping the calls/channel number entirely. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

On 5/20/2022 at 12:21 AM, Weeters said:

I firmly believe the de-emphasis of the call signs and channel numbers is 100% intentional, and the "white box" on some of the websites is a temporary thing to tie a few of the stations with "legacy brands" to the new brands. Why? Because it doesn't matter if you're "CBS 2 WXXX" on the internet, which is where the audience these groups are going after is. People say "won't this confuse viewers?" while the same viewers are the ones who can't understand that KDKA-TV and KDKA 1020 are owned by two different companies. The viewers who might be "confused" are not the viewers the stations want.

I predict that, sometime in the near future, these "legacy call sign" stations will simply brand themselves on-air like "CBS News Pittsburgh on KDKA 2" for a while before dropping the calls/channel number entirely. 

These website rebrands don’t have to translate to TV though. It’s entirely possible that the “CBS News (Insert City)” branding on websites and streaming platforms are simply designed to generate traffic to the main CBS News website by integrating the local station sites into it. Heck, the station websites/social media accounts have been branded as “CBS (Insert City)” for years, and station logos were hardly present. Local branding has been deemphasized on the digital side for quite some time. I could be wrong, but if they were really going to dump the legacy local brands (a la CTV), you’d think they’d have done it by now.

• Like 4

On 5/19/2022 at 11:21 PM, Weeters said:

People say "won't this confuse viewers?" while the same viewers are the ones who can't understand that KDKA-TV and KDKA 1020 are owned by two different companies. The viewers who might be "confused" are not the viewers the stations want.

If KDKA Radio's talk lineup and KDKA-FM's sports hot takes haven't made it clear KDKA-TV isn't a part of them anymore, I don't know what to tell that viewer; there are still misguided radio listeners who call in to yell at WISN-TV for whatever hot take was thrown out by Mark Belling on WISN radio, even though they haven't shared anything, much less weather forecasts, in 20 years besides a callsign. That's definitely a viewer you're glad 'will never watch your TV station again you (whatever insult they have)!'.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

KYW finally made the switch today, leaving Detroit as the only CBS O&O to still be using the CBS Local layout (liekly until the launch of CBS News Detroit).

https://www.cbsnews.com/philadelphia/

In addition, CBS News Philly has been renamed to CBS News Philadelphia. The CBS3 name is still being used (for now) but there has been a lot more emphasis on the CBS News Philadelphia name.

Edited by ddaniels20
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, ddaniels20 said:

KYW finally made the switch today, leaving Detroit as the only CBS O&O to still be using the CBS Local layout (liekly until the launch of CBS News Detroit).

In addition, CBS News Philly has been renamed to CBS News Philadelphia. The CBS3 name is still being used (for now) but there has been a lot more emphasis on the CBS News Philadelphia name.

Curious the skyline photo they chose for the home page header. It's a tad dated as it's missing the Comcast Technology Center. Intentional omission given it houses the HQ of a competitor? 🤔

• Like 1

On 8/10/2022 at 2:46 PM, ddaniels20 said:

They also updated the logo bug. The “CBS3” logo stays on screen throughout the show, while a barely readable “CBS News Philadelphia” logo appears underneath it (alternating with the “Streaming Now” text)

5D0977B4-6E57-4198-A354-C6755AD7CA9E.jpeg

A1AEADB7-2648-404E-BB96-D4BAFA62F722.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...