CBS 2 NY compared to CBS 2 LA

cbsnewsfan

I recently visited the west and while watching CBS 2 (in L.A.) I was very impressed at how updated their studio and graphics were, at least compared to CBS 2 in New York City! CBS 2 in NY just went HD, and they just happened to be the last local station to go HD, too!

KCBS new set is twice is better than WCBS news set. CBS 2 NY been had that set since 2002 or 2003. WCBS Needs a new set.

I though KCBS got a new set when they went HD

They did. The new set is ok. Nothing extraordinary. It is a lot darker than the previous set. However it does beat out WCBS' set by a wide margin. Some similarities between the two stations: Management has no clue how to run these stations, They kick out good people to the curb, and they are not number one in their markets.

With Satellite, I'm able to watch LA & NY stations and I will say that LA has a much BETTER A line-up (typically the 6 & 11 or the 5 & 11) team in Paul Magers and Laura Diaz versus Chris Wragge & Kristine Johnson. Paul/Laura ROCK versus when I watch Chris/Kristine I feel like I'm watching a college newscast with inexperienced anchors. I feel for Dana Tyle and Jim Rosenfield. They SHOULD be anchoring at 11 but apparently Peter Dunn knows best :-X

KCBS grabbed LA's #1 spot and WCBS is still trying to figure out what to do. And I differ with CBS 8 HD. Don Corsini & Nancy Bauer Gonzales are actually a damn competent GM/ND team than Dunn/Friend. I enjoy watching KCBS newscasts than WCBS newscasts.

My bet is that KCBS lead anchors are competent than those idiots at WCBS. Also I bet viewers know their anchors and reporters at KCBS. Viewers cannot identify their anchors and reporters at WCBS because of the constant changes.

KCBS and KCAL have to some extent improved. The new studio is better, the set looks better, the talent has stayed for sometime, and the ratings are better. It was a pretty challenging adjustment to the new looks, but its here to stay. I grant you this is a definite improvement from the tragic days of the 80's and 90's, when KCBS was perennially in the bottom ranks.

KABC, nevertheless, is still #1 in Southern California, despite how flashy and embellished it has become since Harold Greene and Laura Diaz left. The focus on KABC's newscasts is more blood and guts and less news in less time. The reports often last less than 2 minutes, compared to 3 minutes in the past, and police chases have become the buzz. Todd Donoho and Bill Weir were great sportscasters when he was there, but Rob Fukuzaki is very annoying.

KNBC Is now the one that's struggling...as is NBC itself.

I agree with everyone on the fact KCBS/KCAL is stable compared to WCBS. That wasn't the case a few years ago. Both stations languished with bad management decisions at the bottom of the ratings. Its a wonder that CBS station group president didnt elevate the management team at KCBS/KCAL to WCBS in New York. It would hurt KCBS/ KCAL for a minute so long as the new management team keeps the news anchor team in place ; otherwise lookout.

KCBS new set is twice is better than WCBS news set. CBS 2 NY been had that set since 2002 or 2003. WCBS Needs a new set.

I though KCBS got a new set when they went HD

They did. The new set is ok. Nothing extraordinary. It is a lot darker than the previous set. However it does beat out WCBS' set by a wide margin. Some similarities between the two stations: Management has no clue how to run these stations, They kick out good people to the curb, and they are not number one in their markets.

I'd say management at KCBS is a lot better than WCBS. Overall the differences between the two stations today are like night and day. I mean WCBS is completely sloppy at this time. I mean I don't know who the anchors are anymore, lol like cbs2idiots said. We can't adjust to our anchors because of the constant changes. Management is a joke at WCBS here in New York. KCBS is by far better.

Here's what I think about KCBS & WCBS:

I think KCBS is way better. I think KCBS has a better set. I think they have better anchors. They both have good graphics, though I like KCBS's graphics a little better.

Here's what I think about some of the anchor pairings: (KCBS)

AM: I think Kent Shocknek is a fanastic anchor one of the best i've ever watched, Suzanne Rico is a good anchor but she seems awkward anchoring, Henry DeCarlo is a litttle too over peppy in the mornings, Vera Jamenez is okay.

11AM: I say the same about Kent, Sandra Mitchell is pretty good, and Josh Rubenstein is pretty good.

5PM: I really like Laura Diaz I think she is a really good anchor, I like Paul Magers he is good, I wish the two of them would show some more chemistry though, I like watching Johnny Mountain I think he's a riot.

6PM: I really like both Harold & Ann, I think their a great pairing, I say the same about Johnny Mountain, I think Jim Hill is a fanastic sports anchor.

5 & 6PM Weekend: I like Linda Alaveez I think she is good, I don't like Glen Walker that much. I think Kai Goldberg is really good.

(Bonus my views on KCAL teams)

12 & 2PM: I think they need a shakeup in this slot, David & Mia are the worse pairing of anyone i've seen on KCBS & KCAL, they don't have any chemistry together. David Gonzales is an okay anchor but he has a deer in the headlights look some of the time, and Mia is the worse anchor at KCAL, I just can't get past her woice, and those boobs, I can't take her seriously at all.

4PM: (Look at KCBS at 6PM)

(just a note that these are the newscasts I get to see)

WCBS Anchor Pairings

5 & 11PM Chris & Kristine, I actually like Chris, I like when he anchors the Sat Early Show. I don't like Kristine anymore, I liked her when she anchored in RI, but not since then. I HATE LONNIE QUINN WITH A PASSION. I think Ducis is fanastic.

12 & 6PM Dana & Jim are the best anchors and they never should have gotten demoted. John Elliott is horrible. Look at 5 & 11PM for my opinions of Lonnie & Ducis.

Mornings: Kate is a good anchor, and Maurice is not

Weekend Evenings: Mary is a good anchor and shouldn't have gotten demoted, John shouldn't have gotten demoted either, They should give Mary a co-anchor

Let Dana and Jim be the main anchor team WCBS and move Chris back to noon and 5PM this time with Kate Sullivan or Mary Calvi, fire Kristine, Lonnie, John Elliott, and give Elise Finch a promotion.

WCBS has a better open and better music. Enforcer is the best choice package. 615 has been known to produce decent but not great music lately, though Decade 90 (along with other packages from the 90's) was the best package.

There one thing to say about KCAL/KCBS is consistency I mean KCAL 9 News at 4 and CBS 2 News at Six is basically an extension of Channel 7 Eyewitness News in the 1990's and people are creatures of habit. Which has benefited KABC and now although very briefly KCBS (hopefully for a long time at least 5 years or more.)

Archived