KMOV planning to move out of downtown St. Louis to suburban location

Mrtraveler01

Shortly after being purchased by Gray, KMOV is planning to move out of its longtime home in downtown St. Louis. Most likely moving to suburban Maryland Heights (same suburb KTVI/KPLR are in).

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/columns/joe-holleman/kmov-plans-to-leave-downtown-st-louis-eyeing-maryland-heights-area/article_6b8252a1-daba-52fa-ab23-a7187370ea4f.html

8 hours ago, Mrtraveler01 said:

Shortly after being purchased by Gray, KMOV is planning to move out of its longtime home in downtown St. Louis. Most likely moving to suburban Maryland Heights (same suburb KTVI/KPLR are in).

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/columns/joe-holleman/kmov-plans-to-leave-downtown-st-louis-eyeing-maryland-heights-area/article_6b8252a1-daba-52fa-ab23-a7187370ea4f.html

Wasn't KMOV's current home built by CBS when channel 4 was an O&O?

6 hours ago, TheRob said:

I'm sure the rent will be cheaper, plus no earnings tax in the county.

why haven't KSHB/KMCI WDAF, and KMBC/KCWE moved outta KCMO if the earnings tax is a big deal? KMBC even built new studios near Swope Park instead

are they trying to pit the city against the county for some tax "incentives"?

17 hours ago, who?cares said:

I’m not sure if they rent or not. 
But, it’s location makes a prime spot for a hotel. If they do own the building, I’m sure a developer is offering up some big money for it. 

there's already a large empty hotel from the 60s down the street

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Weeters said:

The St. Louis Business Journal is reporting that Gray has purchased an office building in the suburbs at 77 Progress Parkway, previously the office for a company called Biomedical Systems. They expect to be moved in by late summer or fall 2023.

The brochure for the property can be found here.

Not a bad choice. The design of the building itself just screams TV station.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Weeters said:

The St. Louis Business Journal is reporting that Gray has purchased an office building in the suburbs at 77 Progress Parkway, previously the office for a company called Biomedical Systems. They expect to be moved in by late summer or fall 2023.

That looks like a perfect spot for a television station.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2022 at 11:16 PM, Megatron81 said:

Is KMOV building outdated why Gray wants to move outside of St. Louis?

Part of it can be seen on Google StreetView; they have to have reserved parking in front of the building and keep other vehicles such as a mobile unit that can't fit in the garage outside. For security alone that's a nightmare to keep an eye on and worry about, and if I-44/55 is closed and you have traffic jammed up there? It's a mess.

With Maryland Heights, a few cameras and some fencing takes care of all that, and access out is much more reasonable...plus all that natural light. It's pretty much a dead ringer for the new WMTV building, which Gray has favored of late.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2022 at 10:32 PM, Weeters said:

I don't know St. Louis well at all, but I recognize Progress Parkway in Maryland Heights, MO. Edward Jones' headquarters is on that street. I recognize the address from their statements.