News Channel Nebraska using WFLA's 2016 graphics?

kfc513

Was browsing through Tristan Bresnen's portfolio and I noticed a new look he produced for News Channel Nebraska. But it looks like a repurposed version of WFLA's graphics from 2016-2020 (that was also used on sister stations WKRN, WCMH and KELO). It's mostly the same besides it mostly being red instead of blue, as well as different looking Lower 3rds and Full Screens. Here's his case study: https://tristanbresnen.com/copy-of-currents-news-v2

WFLA 2016:

WFLA-2016-Open-A.PNG.b3e20546418186b8707a3c571bff3af8.PNG WFLA-2016-Open-B.PNG.4ac77949abb61b4a530fab418372806b.PNG

News Channel Nebraska 2022:

NCN-2022-Open-A.thumb.PNG.5a8e1f9965f14ce5df09548b7b01bec7.PNG NCN-2022-Open-B.thumb.PNG.d39ce5beb655c2311dde6c5e53444b3f.PNG

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, kfc513 said:

Was browsing through Tristan Bresnen's portfolio and I noticed a new look he produced for News Channel Nebraska. But it looks like a repurposed version of WFLA's graphics from 2016-2020 (that was also used on sister stations WKRN, WCMH and KELO). It's mostly the same besides it mostly being red instead of blue, as well as different looking Lower 3rds and Full Screens. Here's his case study: https://tristanbresnen.com/copy-of-currents-news-v2

WFLA 2016:

WFLA-2016-Open-A.PNG.b3e20546418186b8707a3c571bff3af8.PNG WFLA-2016-Open-B.PNG.4ac77949abb61b4a530fab418372806b.PNG

NCN-2022-Open-A.thumb.PNG.5a8e1f9965f14ce5df09548b7b01bec7.PNG NCN-2022-Open-B.thumb.PNG.d39ce5beb655c2311dde6c5e53444b3f.PNG

I notice the News Channel Nebraska version is using more "WHDH-esque" fonts. It's already a dated look.

Heads up: The link above is broken because..."copy of Currents News V2" isn't great for SEO?

Anyway, some context here: The client was presented with two "draft" looks to go into production - and that's the one that was chosen.

It is what it is.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, noggi said:

Good artists copy, great artists steal.

I’ve never heard that one before. Are you being serious? 

I thought the goal as an artist was to come up with something new and original. Am I missing something?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, phillynewslover said:

I believe it means that the great artists steal and do it so well the work is often misattributed to them. However I don't think the News Channel Nebraska look is as well-known as the WFLA look.

Oooooh I get it now. That took me a bit. 😂

• Like 1

I've never understood why people call something dated when a graphics package (or hand me down set for that matter) comes to a new market. Has it been used before? You bet. Has it been used before on NCN? Nope. So to the viewers of News Channel Nebraska, it is a fresh look. I know this board doesn't like seeing graphics repurposed but this was an affordable way for Flood Communications to update their look. In this ad market I'm impressed a locally operated cable-only news channel is spending anything to evolve their on-air presentation.   

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, carolinanews4 said:

I've never understood why people call something dated when a graphics package (or hand me down set for that matter) comes to a new market. Has it been used before? You bet. Has it been used before on NCN? Nope. So to the viewers of News Channel Nebraska, it is a fresh look. I know this board doesn't like seeing graphics repurposed but this was an affordable way for Flood Communications to update their look. In this ad market I'm impressed a locally operated cable-only news channel is spending anything to evolve their on-air presentation.   

I think dated is used in the context of something that adds a new dimension to motion graphics artistry. This doesn't do that.

16 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Was this a work of Linear Drift?  Now that the package is no longer being used by all the former Media General stations that used it, the artist probably made it up for grabs for syndication.

Given that this isn't listed on Rey Rodriguez's Linear Drift website and also knowing that Rey has a penchant for taking credit for other's work, I say that Tristan created this, not Rey/Linear Drift. Tristan owns the copyright and can do with it what he wants.

Edited by ABC 7 Denver
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

I think dated is used in the context of something that adds a new dimension to motion graphics artistry. This doesn't do that.

Given that this isn't listed on Rey Rodriguez's Linear Drift website and also knowing that Rey has a penchant for taking credit for other's work, I say that Tristan created this, not Rey/Linear Drift. Tristan owns the copyright and can do with it what he wants.

I figured it was an independent creation.  So if it was a Tristan Bresnan product, then he can do whatever he wants with it.  In this case, NCN Nebraska gets it.

Much like the subsuming of the old Sinclair News Music package that Stephen Arnold created.  They didn't renew it due to the SESAC crisis, it gets absorbed into U-Phonix for all of their clients to use.

There's a dearth of great graphics packages out there just sitting around waiting to be used because all the companies have their own looks these days.

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Like 2

On 3/7/2022 at 9:01 AM, kfc513 said:

WFLA 2016:

3D with gloss and shine! Puts high definition tv's to great use over the dull flatness we usually get.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2022 at 4:41 PM, jbnews said:

I’ve never heard that one before. Are you being serious? 

I thought the goal as an artist was to come up with something new and original. Am I missing something?

I was going to write something out defending the concept of TV graphic artists copying each other, but it's really not just a problem there. The whole industry copies each other's work. Look at how many stations just blatantly copied WSVN's format in the 90's and early 2000's. The whole industry functions by taking what works in one market and either improving on it or just straight up copying it.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Weeters said:

I was going to write something out defending the concept of TV graphic artists copying each other, but it's really not just a problem there. The whole industry copies each other's work. Look at how many stations just blatantly copied WSVN's format in the 90's and early 2000's. The whole industry functions by taking what works in one market and either improving on it or just straight up copying it.

I don't think WCMH (which used a variation of the WFLA graphics) stood up to WBNS very well. Morris copied WCMH to complete their $50 look. 

• Haha 2

On 3/10/2022 at 11:19 AM, Weeters said:

Jeff Sneed with Hothaus copied ArtHouse's Look N for WSMV's version. (And did a decent job, it was just executed very very poorly and bastardized to hell and back)

Also, this is sort of unrelated but kinda... One could also argue, piggybacking off WSMV for a sec, that the custom package Matt Quinn created for WSMV (which itself was a modified version of WOIO's graphics) got copied and modded and arguably butchered in-house, syndicated out to all of the Meredith stations, continues to be heavily modified to make it not even recognizable from its original form and now that Gray owns the stations, brings them in line with the OG, WOIO. But that package, too, was a copy. And it was copied and pasted and copied and pasted SEVERAL times.

Also, this isn't a novel concept, stations ripping off other stations graphics designs. How many WBBM early 1990s ripoffs were there? How many stations TRIED to copy 'balls and walls'?

Edited by KentBrockman

On 3/7/2022 at 9:01 AM, kfc513 said:

WFLA 2016:

Also looking at the case study now, if that's a copy that's a damn good one. But it's definitely a mash-up of WFLA 2016, Linear Drift's WISH pack, and a teeny bit of inspiration drawn from Meredith stations lowers. I'm almost concerned that the WFLA 2016 elements though are TOO good, like somehow Mr. Bresnen has the original AE files and just tweaked it ever so slightly.

There again, it's honestly not a novel concept. There are elements of Jeff Sneed's Look N for WSMV that look completely ripped from ArtHouse AE files.

And do I need to bring up Meredith again? Hell, anyone can request or purchase AE files. Matt Quinn did not design the WSMV version of the WOIO package, the files were purchased and then brought in house and modified, and modified, and modified. Until you basically have what we have now. Note, Matt Quinn takes credit for the original WOIO version but not the WSMV version and subsequently not the Meredith stations version.

3 minutes ago, KentBrockman said:

Also looking at the case study now, if that's a copy that's a damn good one. But it's definitely a mash-up of WFLA 2016, Linear Drift's WISH pack, and a teeny bit of inspiration drawn from Meredith stations lowers. I'm almost concerned that the WFLA 2016 elements though are TOO good, like somehow Mr. Bresnen has the original AE files and just tweaked it ever so slightly.

There again, it's honestly not a novel concept. There are elements of Jeff Sneed's Look N for WSMV that look completely ripped from ArtHouse AE files.

And do I need to bring up Meredith again? Hell, anyone can request or purchase AE files. Matt Quinn did not design the WSMV version of the WOIO package, the files were purchased and then brought in house and modified, and modified, and modified. Until you basically have what we have now. Note, Matt Quinn takes credit for the original WOIO version but not the WSMV version and subsequently not the Meredith stations version.

Where did they buy the original AE files from? 

On 3/13/2022 at 2:05 PM, KentBrockman said:

Matt Quinn did not design the WSMV version of the WOIO package, the files were purchased and then brought in house and modified, and modified, and modified. Until you basically have what we have now. Note, Matt Quinn takes credit for the original WOIO version but not the WSMV version and subsequently not the Meredith stations version.

Matt might beg to differ with you on that...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 3/13/2022 at 1:05 PM, Guest said:

Jeff Steed was a lead designer on Look N (expanding on Craig Stouffer's design) and most of the packages for the Arthouse. He left the Arthouse to head the Belo hub and then when they were bought by Tegna he worked almost exclusively for Hothaus. He also worked with Matt Quin to launch the Meredith hub. Look at his site, it's full of Hothaus work.  https://jeffsteed.myportfolio.com/