Sky News on MSNBC

PTVNews

I was just scrolling through my TV guide and saw a listing for "Sky News on MSNBC", and sure enough there it was on the channel on when tuned in (1-2am PST). I don't recall seeing this before but maybe they have done it previously? Guessing MSNBC is showing it to provide Ukraine coverage to compete with CNN and FOX, both live (CNN showing CNNI).

756579724_ScreenShot2022-03-06at1_49_00AM.thumb.png.8e23c36c81216ba026e1ba5bf6d2174c.png

I then turned over to NBC News Now which was also showing Sky News.

Edit: Right after posting this, Chris Jansing broke into the Sky News coverage to show Antony Blinken's news conference. (1:49am PST) Weird.

22 minutes ago, JosiahCubed said:

Doesn't hurt to get the UK and international perspective on what's going on between Russia and Ukraine.

Not to mention, Sky News is also one of the live channels on Peacock.

BBC News is also a great source as well. CBS News' streaming platform as well as the CBS Evening News has carried stories from BBC in Russia and Ukraine due to their partnership that formed in 2017.

At first I thought MSNBC would be hesitant to show Sky News because of their right leaning bias, then I researched and learned only the Australian version has the strong right lean. Just like Fox, Murdoch has mixed branding with Sky. Not sure if that's a good thing as it can lead to branding confusion as is the case with people assuming their local Fox station is biased like the Fox News Channel. 

1 hour ago, iron_lion said:

At first I thought MSNBC would be hesitant to show Sky News because of their right leaning bias, then I researched and learned only the Australian version has the strong right lean. Just like Fox, Murdoch has mixed branding with Sky. Not sure if that's a good thing as it can lead to branding confusion as is the case with people assuming their local Fox station is biased like the Fox News Channel. 

At its height of Newscorp ownership, Sky News was perhaps a bit flashy and tabloid in packaging, but it never veered anywhere close to being the Fox News of the UK. Rupert Murdoch long hoped that it could become that, but the UK’s strict regulations prevent that, and the regulators also blocked Newscorp from taking over more of Sky. For the last 5-10 years, Sky News has actually been a quality product with somewhat austere presentation and branding. To give you a sense of how different it is: they have a daily climate change newscast in prime time.

Murdoch was able to push Sky News Australia much further into a slanted direction, where it remains to this day.

7 hours ago, iron_lion said:

The Australian Sky News is still owned by Rupert Murdoch, they just license the name. In fact, SNA still runs Sky News UK during the overnight hours

I think MSNBC should do this more, especially on weekends. Their recent coverage of the war in Ukraine sucked, Ayman & Alicia and not good at anchoring breaking news, serious-war type coverage and the ratings prove that.

The MSNBC logo placement is horrible, they could drop the ticker and have plenty of space for “Sky News special coverage live on MSNBC”.  

Since they apparently refuse to consistently use Chris Jansing, Richard Lui, a whole list of people from NBC News Now and dozens of correspondents they might as well join Sky and provide some type of coverage. 

Once again talking a big game about doing News but when it really counts they fall short and stick to opinion and what the network feels comfortable doing. 

13 hours ago, jrogo said:

I think MSNBC should do this more, especially on weekends. Their recent coverage of the war in Ukraine sucked, Ayman & Alicia and not good at anchoring breaking news, serious-war type coverage and the ratings prove that.

The MSNBC logo placement is horrible, they could drop the ticker and have plenty of space for “Sky News special coverage live on MSNBC”.  

Since they apparently refuse to consistently use Chris Jansing, Richard Lui, a whole list of people from NBC News Now and dozens of correspondents they might as well join Sky and provide some type of coverage. 

Once again talking a big game about doing News but when it really counts they fall short and stick to opinion and what the network feels comfortable doing. 

with all due respect... i think its more than just having someone anchor, but the cost/efforts/availability to bring in producers, technical directors, camera operators, other behind the scenes folks is not easy. Utilizing resources under the NBC Universal Umbrella may make more sense in this case with an anchor like Chris, Richard, etc available in the event something warrants its own US based coverage

I can see this happening more if the views are higher then dateline reruns. Also the Queen announced she isn’t returning to London to live and she’s getting older I would say lots of London coverage soon since she’s 95 or so

17 hours ago, Drew said:

The ticker is sky news they can’t drop it only cover it but why would they do that? I agree they could use more Chris Jansing and others 

That's how I should have worded it, something like what I attached down below would look good and explain to viewers what they are watching, the MSNBC logo in the upper left doesn't really cut it. MSNBC has such great talent and they deserve to be used more. 

5 hours ago, Jman7885 said:

with all due respect... i think its more than just having someone anchor, but the cost/efforts/availability to bring in producers, technical directors, camera operators, other behind the scenes folks is not easy. Utilizing resources under the NBC Universal Umbrella may make more sense in this case with an anchor like Chris, Richard, etc available in the event something warrants its own US based coverage

I know the costs would be significant for news coverage but NBC has operations in how many places that could certainly handle it, using one of 30 Rock's news nooks and remote production from Global Operations or an O&O and they could put a respectable broadcast on the air with a minimal number of employees coming in for it. I don't mind that they are using Sky, in fact they should utilize them more, but they could do it in a way that makes more sense, better branding of such event and explaining to viewers who and what Sky is would help. If Chris Jansing was there to abruptly break in for a press conference why wasn't she anchoring since they had the staff to cover the presser, that was my point. 

In my opinion, the war in Ukraine really shows how beneficial the NBC Sky World News Channel would have been for them. Especially how CNN is utilizing CNNI right now.

My mockup of better MSNBC logo placement instead of Sky's ticker:

Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 1.59.33 PM.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived