February ‘22 Sweeps Roundup

Georgie56

5 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

I love WGN, but I find it funny how they are always a little vague about the 4-7pm numbers. They conveniently double-posted the late news chart, instead of showing the afternoon numbers. A little insecure about how badly they finish in 2nd and 3rd?

3 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

It wouldn't surprise me if the Winter Olympics were more kryptonite to NBC affiliate and owned stations ratings than a driver....much like the "Jay Leno" disaster of 2009 where late show ratings were affected pretty much across the board.

You're right about that.  The usual self aggrandizing KCRA press release that comes out like clockwork after every sweeps is nowhere to be seen.  The Olympics must've killed them.

Yeah, the Olympics weren't the usual ticket to success, this year. With 2 days to go before sweeps ended, WMAQ's late news was average about 128,000 viewers, which is in the ballpark of a 4 rating, which is basically their normal audience. They almost always dethrone WLS during the winter games, but this year's edition seemingly didn't move the needle, at all.

https://www.robertfeder.com/2022/03/02/robservations-abc-7-poised-sweep-late-news-ratings-museum-hosts-evening-lesley-nicol-wttw-promotes-nick-blumberg/

6 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

It wouldn't surprise me if the Winter Olympics were more kryptonite to NBC affiliate and owned stations ratings than a driver....much like the "Jay Leno" disaster of 2009 where late show ratings were affected pretty much across the board.

There isn't a WHDH to deal with anymore. If they were still an NBC affiliate, I think they would have preempted the latter quarter of the Olympics, including the closing ceremony. By the way, how are they doing?

4 hours ago, noggi said:

Not much data but here a bit of info from WCCO… I really take issue with these numbers for streams though but it seems like an industry-wide issue. 

9E8EF2B6-2B8B-4767-9F53-67DB7F6C194D.jpeg

CCO has had brags on air and on social about CBSN/News Minnesota's streaming numbers...

No brag about weekday morning numbers this book though... KMSP surge in the AM?

1 hour ago, TheSpeedKing said:

There isn't a WHDH to deal with anymore. If they were still an NBC affiliate, I think they would have preempted the latter quarter of the Olympics, including the closing ceremony. By the way, how are they doing?

WHDH is getting the last laugh for sure.  They were right about Leno being a ratings disaster and they're still doing circles around wherever "NBC 10" is.....

1 hour ago, tyrannical bastard said:

The "NBC 10" I was referring to was WBTS, which was formerly known as "NBC Boston", the gaggle of subchannels NBC put together to steal away from WHDH.

I still say they should've called it "NBC 15".

2 hours ago, mre29 said:

I still say they should've called it "NBC 15".

Here's a better idea: Just don't decline to renew an affiliation agreement or sell anything to Media General! It would cause less headache for everybody. How about some ultra competitive markets though?

Here is the Pittsburgh News Ratings from Rob Owen of TribLIVE.com. 

The Pittsburgh Nielsen ratings for February sweeps are out. But, due to the Olympics, they don’t really tell us much about local TV news trends except that the Olympics – once a boon for local stations – have become a bust, generally driving down WPXI’s newscast household and key demo (adults 25-54) ratings at 5 and 6 p.m. compared to February 2021.

This includes both household ratings that reflect a measure of popularity and the more important-to-stations demographic ratings that are the basis for setting advertising rates.

Because of the Olympics, it’s hard to draw comparisons, but it is safe to say WTAE looks stronger in the mornings, coming in first at 5 and 6 a.m. in households and the key demo. Channel 4 was also No. 1 at 6 p.m. in households.

KDKA-TV ranked first at 12, 4 and 5 p.m. in households and demos. WTAE lead the 6 PM overall ratings but KDKA was No. 1 in the 6 PM demo. KDKA was also first in households at 11 p.m.; WPXI placed first in the key demo at 11, one newscast where the Olympics lead-in helped rather than hurt.

Ratings released last week by Nielsen include both household ratings that reflect a measure of popularity and the more important-to-stations demographic ratings that are the basis for setting advertising rates.was No. 1 in the demo at 6 p.m. KDKA was first in households at 11 p.m.; WPXI placed first in the key demo at 11, one newscast where the Olympics lead-in helped rather than hurt.

Full Ratings.

Ratings released last week by Nielsen include both household ratings that reflect a measure of popularity and the more important-to-stations demographic ratings that are the basis for setting advertising rates.

Screenshot_20220310-091655_Chrome.jpg

Archived