What's Old is New Again at NBC DC Bureau

Weeters

You may remember that in early 2019, the NBC News DC Bureau experienced a fire that sent them to WRC for a few years, while the 400 N. Capitol building was rehabbed. At the time of the fire, NBC had two "big" studios in the building, N4 and N5 (where the fire started). When they moved back in the fall of 2020, a new Studio N5 debut, along with "N1" on the ground floor where Meet the Press calls home.

But whatever happened to N4? It was still relatively new at the time of the fire, dating to 2017. You may recall, it looked something like this:

NBC News Capitol Hill N4 Broadcast Set Design Gallery

NOTE: This picture is obviously taken with a very wide angle lens. The studio was actually quite small.

Earlier today, we noticed on the Discord that Hallie Jackson was on a different set at the DC Bureau. I had heard another studio was being prepped to be brought online a few weeks ago, so I wasn't surprised. That is, until we started discussing the possibility that this is the new "N4".

unknown.png

and here's where it gets interesting, folks. Take a look at the right side of  the screenshot above, then this section of the old N4 set.

image0.jpg

It's the same, just the wood along the bottom is now red, the big wood square to the right of the screen has been deleted, and the whole wall has been shifted back a few feet so the funky shaped LED wall is now closer to the big TV monitor.

Without seeing the rest of the set, it's hard to confirm, but this looks like at least a portion of the old N4 set has been reworked into the new studio. Given NBC has a habit of re-using existing sets (i.e. MSNBC using the old WNBC Studio 3C set when WNBC moved to Studio 3K a few years back, the multiple lives of the Megyn Kelly Today set, etc.) it's not really a surprise, but it is kind of wild that a set we probably all assumed was junked is still around in some form, even if they just re-built it using the original design.

1 hour ago, Weeters said:

You may remember that in early 2019, the NBC News DC Bureau experienced a fire that sent them to WRC for a few years, while the 400 N. Capitol building was rehabbed. At the time of the fire, NBC had two "big" studios in the building, N4 and N5 (where the fire started). When they moved back in the fall of 2020, a new Studio N5 debut, along with "N1" on the ground floor where Meet the Press calls home.

But whatever happened to N4? It was still relatively new at the time of the fire, dating to 2017. You may recall, it looked something like this:

NBC News Capitol Hill N4 Broadcast Set Design Gallery

NOTE: This picture is obviously taken with a very wide angle lens. The studio was actually quite small.

Earlier today, we noticed on the Discord that Hallie Jackson was on a different set at the DC Bureau. I had heard another studio was being prepped to be brought online a few weeks ago, so I wasn't surprised. That is, until we started discussing the possibility that this is the new "N4".

unknown.png

and here's where it gets interesting, folks. Take a look at the right side of  the screenshot above, then this section of the old N4 set.

image0.jpg

It's the same, just the wood along the bottom is now red, the big wood square to the right of the screen has been deleted, and the whole wall has been shifted back a few feet so the funky shaped LED wall is now closer to the big TV monitor.

Without seeing the rest of the set, it's hard to confirm, but this looks like at least a portion of the old N4 set has been reworked into the new studio. Given NBC has a habit of re-using existing sets (i.e. MSNBC using the old WNBC Studio 3C set when WNBC moved to Studio 3K a few years back, the multiple lives of the Megyn Kelly Today set, etc.) it's not really a surprise, but it is kind of wild that a set we probably all assumed was junked is still around in some form, even if they just re-built it using the original design.

As sets go, the wood is very nice. I don't know why'd you get rid of it unless to match the MSNBC branding.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived