Ukraine/Russia War Coverage Thread

mrschimpf

Sadly official now, so it's time to open this...

ABC and CBS broke in first around 10:15 pm-ish, with NBC waiting until around 10:30 pm due to Chicago PD playing a factor; ABC stopped their special report at 10:36, CBS at 10:30 (the 10 pm shows finished airing completely without being joined back in progress, so local newscasts/late night ended up staggered).

Of course the news channels were up right away, along with BBC World News and CNBC World, but outside MSNBC (which had already covered the Ukraine heavily through the week), having opinion/pundit shows in the slot is obviously a breaking weakness with FNC and CNN (Trump called in during Laura Ingrahm). NewsNation is also covering live from the studio, starting with punditry and staying on as described below.

ETA - And yes, Newsmax and Real America's Voice are covering it live, with their usual bent/blame assignments. No coverage from Sinclair's National Desk outside a top of the hour/half-hour sum-up.

Interestingly, NBC News Now is simulcasting MSNBC. The Last Word is on the stream complete with the MSNBC bug. No NBC News Now logo on the screen anywhere. Ali Velshi has now taken over at 11 p.m. without the name "The 11th Hour." Coverage is "Breaking News" under the MSNBC Reports banner. I can't imagine cable operators will be too happy with an extended MSNBC simulcast as they like to protect the paid content bundle. 

CBS News switched to a BBC simulcast at the top of the 8pm PST hour. A little shocked and confused by that choice, they didn't provide any context that was greater than what the networks reported. Surprisingly, coverage seems to be lacking. ABC News Live (streaming and on Hulu live bundle) seems to be doing a serviceable job.

21 minutes ago, JosiahCubed said:

Almost midnight eastern, and NewsNation is still on their extended edition of NN Prime. At this point, it would not surprise me if they rollover coverage from Prime into Morning in America come tomorrow morning.

I flipped over from the channel I was watching when I saw this thread (Again, issue that NN has is they aren't the first thought for things like this) Got to admit I think they have a better product than the major cable news players at the moment. Nexstar would be smart to simulcast on their broadcast stations overnight if possible.

I am watching their NewsNation's coverage over a live video shared by WATE-TV's Facebook page and it is nice to see NewsNation providing a better product than the major cable news channels such as CNN and FOX News. I will say this: It would be interesting to see NewsNation extending their coverage of the Ukraine-Russia war to Morning in America or even other dayparts.

EDIT: NewsNation ended their coverage at 1:56am Eastern (12:56am Central) and will continue their coverage on Morning in America.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/23/2022 at 10:37 PM, mrschimpf said:

Sadly official now, so it's time to open this...

ABC and CBS broke in first around 10:15 pm-ish, with NBC waiting until around 10:30 pm due to Chicago PD playing a factor; ABC stopped their special report at 10:36, CBS at 10:30 (the 10 pm shows finished airing completely without being joined back in progress, so local newscasts/late night ended up staggered).

Of course the news channels were up right away, along with BBC World News and CNBC World, but outside MSNBC (which had already covered the Ukraine heavily through the week), having opinion/pundit shows in the slot is obviously a breaking weakness with FNC and CNN (Trump called in during Laura Ingrahm). NewsNation is also covering live from the studio, starting with punditry and staying on as described below.

ETA - And yes, Newsmax and Real America's Voice are covering it live, with their usual bent/blame assignments. No coverage from Sinclair's National Desk outside a top of the hour/half-hour sum-up.

noticed that too, nbc even aired the rest of chicago pd in its entirety at about 10:40/10:45 pm ET on my local station which delayed the local news until about 11:10pm. I suppose they did so because the show has decent ratings and this was on of the season's best episodes? My ABC also finished IIRC "A Million Little Things" in its entirety which also delayed local news.

If you want to watch how the coverage is like in Ukrainian TV, many of the news channels are broadcasting in YouTube (i.e. parliamentary channel Rada TV and 24 Kanal, a small channel from Lviv). Additionally, Swiss-American company Zattoo, available on German-speaking countries, has unblocked temporarily access to a portion of its service and launched a pop-up website featuring a selection of Ukrainian channels and world news channels. The service offers live feeds of the big Ukrainian commercial channels: pro-government 1+1 (both the national feed and its 1+1 International feed, which features simultaneous English translation), pro-Russian Inter, mostly neutral ICTV, news channel Ukraine 24, and diaspora channel UATV (owned by news agency Ukrinform) and the aforementioned Rada TV. Most channels are offering a single marathon news program, Yedyni noviny (United News), jointly produced by all commercial channels under the coordination of Rada TV. Each hour is hosted by a different newsreader/newscaster alternating from each of the participating broadcasters, and interchangeably presented in both Ukrainian and Russian, interspersed by patriotic commercials and PSAs. Additionally available are Al Jazeera English, Euronews (in English, German and Russian) and DW-TV (in English and German), which are also easily available in other media, such as YouTube and their own websites. A channel exclusive to the Zattoo offer is Russian-speaking German diaspora channel TV Ost/West, founded by activist media mogul Peter Tietzki, based in Berlin.

To access the service, there is no need for VPN, and no registration or payment required, there is a limited ad load too.

http://zattoo.com/int/ukrainian-tv

Archived