New CBS News Special Report Graphics

jrogo

CBS News started using new Special Report graphics today. They appear to have built upon the lower thirds CBS Mornings uses. 

Here is a clip from YouTube showing the new countdown, open, theme, L3's and a custom "Crisis in Ukraine" graphic.

As for the music, they obviously modeled after the new CBS News Streaming music, if you listen closely you can hear the melody they use during headlines. 

-Personally I feel a voice over would actually fit considering how long it takes them to get to the main graphic, maybe they'll continue to have the anchor announce it.Perhaps "Live from CBS News, this is a Special Report". Just feels awkward to me with out something there.  

11 hours ago, GodfreyGR said:

A voiceover would improve the overall package a ton... Especially since CBS likes to stress that Norah is in "The Nation's Capital".

I believe CBS News has not had a voiceover for regular special report opens (not counting special events) for a very long time. I can remember Dan Rather introducing his own special reports and I think it's been like that for as long as I have been paying attention.

59 minutes ago, Geoffrey said:

I believe CBS News has not had a voiceover for regular special report opens (not counting special events) for a very long time. I can remember Dan Rather introducing his own special reports and I think it's been like that for as long as I have been paying attention.

And would be similar to the way Dan Rather used to introduce the CBS Evening News throughout the 80s before they got a voiceover.

One thing that would help the lack of voice over is if they cued Norah to start speaking earlier. The older examples in the video basically all had the anchor announce that it's a special report at the time a VO would have done the same thing, but here she waited until the intro ended.

Archived