Jump to content

Viacom is dead, long live Paramount...


TheOneManHerd
 Share

Recommended Posts

A change that should've been made all the way back in 1994 when they bought Paramount, frankly. I never understood why they were so wed to the Viacom name, which has always been associated with 'cheap'.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/15/2022 at 11:02 PM, tyrannical bastard said:

And now, let us bask in the former glory of Viacom logos.

 

My personal favorite was the "wikiwiki" version of the 90s, where VYE-a-com was spoken.

 

Was the company known as "VEE-a-com" before?  Some of the 80s variants seem to think so.

Thanks for reminding us on this board about the dreaded V of Doom! 😨(Not sure how many on this board were/have been legitimately scared by the V of Doom before; it is probably the scariest closing logo in television history!)

 

Should one ever come across the V of Doom at the end of a show on, say, MeTV, they have been forewarned!! 😩

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/18/2022 at 1:36 PM, J1975am said:

Thanks for reminding us on this board about the dreaded V of Doom! 😨(Not sure how many on this board were/have been legitimately scared by the V of Doom before; it is probably the scariest closing logo in television history!)

 

Should one ever come across the V of Doom at the end of a show on, say, MeTV, they have been forewarned!! 😩

I remember seeing it for the first time on old Andy Griffith repeats that ran on WOAC-TV 67 in Canton/Akron before they got sold and turned into an INTV/Shop At Home station and now TCT owned WRLM....

 

By then I was old enough to not be scared by stuff like this, but years before the "Sit UBU sit" somehow had an effect on me 🤣🤣

 

And the old ITC logo that ran after the Muppet Show kind of creeped me out too!

Edited by tyrannical bastard
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, tyrannical bastard said:

I remember seeing it for the first time on old Andy Griffith repeats that ran on WOAC-TV 67 in Canton/Akron before they got sold and turned into an INTV/Shop At Home and now TCT owned WRLM....

 

By then I was old enough to not be scared by stuff like this, but years before the "Sit UBU sit" somehow had an effect on me 🤣🤣

 

And the old ITC logo that ran after the Muppet Show kind of creeped me out too!

Yeah, the V of Doom never scared me as a kid (whether I was 3 or 8 years old) when watching old shows like Andy Griffith or Gilligan's Island on TV Land or Retro TV.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/15/2022 at 2:54 PM, mrschimpf said:

A change that should've been made all the way back in 1994 when they bought Paramount, frankly. I never understood why they were so wed to the Viacom name, which has always been associated with 'cheap'.

 

When Viacom originally struck the deal to buy Paramount Communications, the planned name was "Paramount Viacom International." Then the bidding war with Barry Diller ensued and somehow the rebrand ended up being scuttled.

 

Sumner was very attached to the name "Viacom." I have to wonder if dropping the name is intended to communicate a clean break from him.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using TVNewsTalk you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.