Favorite Graphics Packages from the 90s & 00s

MediaZone4K

The 1990s and 2000s were a very creative era in graphics packaging. Stations has more of a degree of appearence individuality and flatness wasn't as widespread.

Post your favorite news graphics packages from the 90s or 2000s! Image or Video:

WNBC 1990:

WSVN 1993:

85D2CA26-3705-44DF-90D5-3F1E9F31F346.jpeg

38DBEB69-B546-4568-9BB6-6CA1AB679A63.jpeg

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 2

One of my favorite packages was the December 1992- September 1995 graphics package that KCNC shared with WNBC.   I have always thought it was a clean look & way ahead of the other Denver stations at the time.                   KCNC-TV - Logopedia, the logo and branding site

KCNC-TV | Logopedia | FANDOM powered by Wikia

KCNC_1993.png

Forgot to mention, I also enjoyed the 2005-2008 Aqua blue & white graphics package that WBBH used as seen here.  

Edited by DENDude
Adding more information.
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Gavin M. said:

Who made these graphics that KABC/WTVD had from 2000-2006. WTVD was 2000-2004. I liked them the look so ABC back then and matched the network look. 

03A8429D-3F7A-4C34-BEFE-75306900984F.png

CD20C14E-E98D-4BAB-A9E0-AF8E1BA19938.png

6ED4874A-5343-48C7-AC95-EBE03B4480E5.png

87905447-5B40-4746-9C43-5F701916D811.png

A28F8ACA-8032-4105-8EF1-698DF84A43F4.png

58D33E73-5B0F-4947-8EDF-AE2A438B741F.png

3C0A7A1C-9376-4F35-9E92-DB16F0A43ECA.png

That was my favorite graphics package too. KGO had something similar by (I believe Hothaus) but instead of yellow, it was a white themed elements. KFMB used the same KGO package as well but only for its opening sequence (2005-2013)

https://jonberrydesign.com/kabceyewitnessnews

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I loved the KCBS early/mid-2000s look.  I believe KCNC had it too.  Probably my favorite music package as well. 
I’m not sure how I feel about KCBS using a soft lens on all the studio cams but it absolutely matched the graphics. 

I was also a fan of KTLA’s 1997-2004 look where everything was a weight of Franklin Gothic.  It was simplistic but good. 

Blue accents at night and orange accents in the morning. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, appleachian said:

I loved the KCBS early/mid-2000s look.  I believe KCNC had it too.  Probably my favorite music package as well. 
I’m not sure how I feel about KCBS using a soft lens on all the studio cams but it absolutely matched the graphics. 

I was also a fan of KTLA’s 1997-2004 look where everything was a weight of Franklin Gothic.  It was simplistic but good. 

Blue accents at night and orange accents in the morning. 

Here ya go!

• Like 2

I loved David Hershey’s creative direction of KTVT before corporate powers told him to fall inline. The only problem. KTVT had the best ratings of all time during this time period of these graphics. 

https://youtu.be/lfIzF180YfU

Time stamp 16:36. I knew I wanted to be a creative services director when I saw this open. Seriously. 

Edited by Sendir
  • Like 2

On 2/17/2022 at 8:44 AM, sanewsguy said:

The one that piqued my interest in TV news for the first time:

This will always be one of my faves. It looks better than most of the stuff on the air now across the country, even though it’s around 25 years old at this point. They did such a great job with that package. Clearly a lot of time and thought went into it. The quality of the animations, the timing of shots … everything. And then to see it all swept away when they took on the “precious” WOAI call letters … 😭😭😭 

Also … the KTVT package above is another great one. KEYE here in Austin swiped it and used it for a bit while they were still an O&O. They at one point used a modified talent open where the anchors’ actual signatures were shown in place of displaying their names using the designated font 

On 2/16/2022 at 9:45 AM, WCAUTVNBC10 said:

WCAU's last package in 2000 before the NBC standardization. Brilliant package by Hothaus before they seemed to start cranking the same package out to different stations:

Hothaus has always been 1 of the best companies when it comes 2 local TV news graphics. Other than WFAA, who else did Hothaus do graphics for during the 2000s?

8 hours ago, The Romeo Show said:

Hothaus has always been 1 of the best companies when it comes 2 local TV news graphics. Other than WFAA, who else did Hothaus do graphics for during the 2000s?

I've always been partial to this one. Similar styles popped up elsewhere, but I maintain that, while not the style of today, these opens have not only held up best, but still look nice now.

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, HoosierNewsie said:

The WUSA/Gannett look was my favorite! There was also a blue version! 

It's funny they use in the demo WRAL anchors here in Raleigh. It always baffles me!

Edited by Gavin M.

11 hours ago, 24994J said:

I've always been partial to this one. Similar styles popped up elsewhere, but I maintain that, while not the style of today, these opens have not only held up best, but still look nice now.

WTVD hasn’t entirely abandoned this.  The graphics are updated but they’ve still got the rapid speed city shots.