Super Bowl LVI on NBC

CTrey98

This Sunday with NBC's broadcast of the Divisional Playoff game between the Rams and Buccaneers will be their last game before the Super Bowl. Which means it also could be the last time we'll see this graphic package used. Will they debut a new look for Super Bowl LVI? This graphics package has been used for four years so it would make sense to change things up.

However, I hope they keep this design package and instead just modify it. (Like CBS did for Super Bowl LIII) These graphic designs are the best yet for NBC and out of all the other NFL broadcasters, they still have the best look. Except maybe not for their Touchdown graphic. FOX has them beat on that for now.

Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 3.32.06 PM.png

ncs_nbc-sports-super-bowl-graphics_0004.jpeg

ncs_nbc-sports-super-bowl-graphics_0014.jpeg

ncs_nbc-sports-super-bowl-graphics_0013.jpeg

ncs_nbc-sports-super-bowl-graphics_0007.jpeg

Wow, crazy that it's been 4 years already. The whole flip-flop they did with the rights to last year's Super Bowl really threw me off. I do sadly feel that they will bid this package adieu for this year's Super Bowl. If they do, I hope the next package is just as nice. Generally, NBC seems to have the best design sense with sports graphics.

New graphics doesn't necessarily mean they're going to try and reinvent the wheel, though. They're too smart to do that, without knowing what they're doing. That said, if they decided to go nuts, they're the only one of the NFL broadcasters I'd trust to not get stupid weird with their look. Case in point, I hope they take zero inspiration from anything Fox Sports has put out in the last 2+ years.

23 hours ago, Samantha said:

In the long press preview, Pete Gaudelli did confirm new graphics, sooooooo...

So if they are debuting a new graphic design, will it just be used for their NFL broadcasts? They still use the old graphic package for Notre Dame Football and with the USFL coming into the fold, I hope they use the same graphics package for all their Football broadcasts like FOX does. Didn't like the fact they only kept the current graphics package for the NFL. It really made their Notre Game telecasts look like a downgrade.

8 minutes ago, CTrey98 said:

So if they are debuting a new graphic design, will it just be used for their NFL broadcasts? They still use the old graphic package for Notre Dame Football and with the USFL coming into the fold, I hope they use the same graphics package for all their Football broadcasts like FOX does. Didn't like the fact they only kept the current graphics package for the NFL. It really made their Notre Game telecasts look like a downgrade.

Good point, and it does seem to logically follow that with NBCSN out of the way now, a new graphics package to usher in a new era of NBC Sports would make sense. Especially considering that the non-NFL graphics package dates back to 2015.

2 minutes ago, Spring Rubber said:

Good point, and it does seem to logically follow that with NBCSN out of the way now, a new graphics package to usher in a new era of NBC Sports would make sense. Especially considering that the non-NFL graphics package dates back to 2015.

If they are going to rebrand NBC Sports all together, they should just use the same package for all their other sports like CBS does. Outside of the Olympic broadcasts which only takes place every other year, doing separate graphics packages for different sports only make sense if you have the rights to other big four sporting events. After losing the rights to the NHL, NBC doesn't have deals with any other big four sporting events. The only broadcast companies that are best suit to do separate graphic designs based on the sport are ESPN, FOX and Turner.

1 hour ago, CTrey98 said:

If they are going to rebrand NBC Sports all together, they should just use the same package for all their other sports like CBS does. Outside of the Olympic broadcasts which only takes place every other year, doing separate graphics packages for different sports only make sense if you have the rights to other big four sporting events. After losing the rights to the NHL, NBC doesn't have deals with any other big four sporting events. The only broadcast companies that are best suit to do separate graphic designs based on the sport are ESPN, FOX and Turner.

The regionals are still on the 2015 look, so you have to think they'd go back to using one unified package for everything.

6 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

The regionals are still on the 2015 look, so you have to think they'd go back to using one unified package for everything.

Isn't NBC trying to tell the regional networks though? If that's the case, I don't think they care about updating those graphics knowing they are likely going to change owners soon. Kinda like the way FOX handled the RSN transition agreement with Sinclair. Even though they debuted new football broadcast graphics for Super Bowl LIV, they still had the RSNs use their old graphics for College Football broadcasts before they rebranded to Bally Sports.

20 hours ago, CTrey98 said:

As of now, NBC Sports uses special graphics packages for NFL, Olympics, Golf, and EPL, and the 2015 package for everything else, Notre Dame, NASCAR, RSNs, etc, thus, I believe it's time for a refresh.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know how I didn't catch this, but could this be a potential tease for the new NBC Sports graphics debuting at the Super Bowl? CBS did a tease similar to this during their last telecast before the Super Bowl. 

IMG_20220210_025902.jpg

Also, NBC just aired this during their nightly Olympic coverage. Could this be part of their new design?IMG_20220210_030417.thumb.jpg.d0eeed90870161873e3bd5fb737b8d9e.jpg

Archived