WJMN becomes independent station

sanewsguy

Nexstar’s CBS affiliations for 13 of their CBS stations expired in December.  I’m assuming WJMN is one of them. They’re likely working on a renewal, but since WJMN is one of their smallest CBS affiliates, is a semi satellite, and doesn’t have a second big four network, Nexstar probably told CBS it wasn’t a big deal if they gave it to someone else.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Myron Falwell said:

This is deeply abnormal behavior between two companies supposedly negotiating to transfer majority control of a mid-major broadcast network.

Something’s up.

28 minutes ago, effseesee said:

Nexstar’s CBS affiliations for 13 of their CBS stations expired in December.  I’m assuming WJMN is one of them. They’re likely working on a renewal, but since WJMN is one of their smallest CBS affiliates, is a semi satellite, and doesn’t have a second big four network, Nexstar probably told CBS it wasn’t a big deal if they gave it to someone else.

If so, they would also end KLST's affiliation. Nexstar and CBS are hiding something.

5 minutes ago, sanewsguy said:

Nexstar has renewed the rest of their CBS affiliations.

https://tvnewscheck.com/top-news/business/article/viacomcbs-and-nexstar-renew-affiliations/

So 1.) Lilly was desperate enough to make WZMQ a CBS affiliate and 2.) Nexstar just let them have it because LOL market #180.

This is an FTV scenario on an acid trip. A BAD acid trip.

Edited by Myron Falwell
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

41 minutes ago, TheSpeedKing said:

If so, they would also end KLST's affiliation. Nexstar and CBS are hiding something.

KLST runs KSAN (NBC).  I'm sure they would have loved to had another big four network, but, apparently, they couldn't get one. I sure it didn't make financial sense to just be a CBS affiliate in that small a market.

One of my biggest issues with this is the fact that the market is WAY too small to support an independent station with news.

Also, since Nexstar is trying too damn hard with the failure that is NewsNation and is still in a stalemate with CNN, WJMN loses here because they really don't have a resource when it comes to national or world news. Nexstar stations lost access to CNN Newsource in 2020 when NN launched and trash talked CNN, much to the dismay of Nexstar's over 200 TV stations that relied on them.

NN barely covers anything nationally worth running, doesn't cover breaking news, and national news that WJMN could get outside of NN is limited to markets where Nexstar has a station. So for instance, a major breaking news story occurs in Atlanta, GA and WJMN is FUCKED.

It's also unclear how WJMN reports anything happening globally. I still don't know how Nexstar's other independents or CW stations with news do it. NN has a partnership with Reuters, which still hasn't been given to the stations. Aside from that, what do they do?

NEXTSTAR just renewed CBS affiliation with KLST. I live in SD and KELO TV was renewed also. Nextstar is also in the process of acquiring the CW, Will see   that goes. If KLST had lost CBS affiliation what network would they affiliate with  FOX. KELO likely with NBC but its all speculation. KELO TV was briefly with NBC from its inception.

I could see WJMN becoming a CW affiliate. Maybe a duopoly with WLUP TV or WBUP TV. If NEXTSTAR decided to sell WJMN. Again speculation.

1 hour ago, Myron Falwell said:

So 1.) Lilly was desperate enough to make WZMQ a CBS affiliate and 2.) Nexstar just let them have it because LOL market #180.

This is an FTV scenario on an acid trip. A BAD acid trip.

From the sounds of it, VCBS was hours or minutes away from giving a 'take it or leave it' offer for negotiations that had gone to overtime, and Nexstar tried to see how far they could go...and once they took it from WJMN, they cried uncle.

Seeing all the well-in-advance 'we've renewed' agreements for other groups, then this rushed announcement where most of their CBS affiliate body was day-to-day since New Year's...not a good sign for Nexstar.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, CubsFan79 said:

NEXTSTAR just renewed CBS affiliation with KLST. I live in SD and KELO TV was renewed also. Nextstar is also in the process of acquiring the CW, Will see   that goes. If KLST had lost CBS affiliation what network would they affiliate with  FOX. KELO likely with NBC but its all speculation. KELO TV was briefly with NBC from its inception.

I could see WJMN becoming a CW affiliate. Maybe a duopoly with WLUP TV or WBUP TV. If NEXTSTAR decided to sell WJMN. Again speculation.

If Nexstar botched this as badly as they apparently did - and this was a royal botching just handing the CBS affiliation straight up to Lilly, let alone having all their CBS affiliates on a day-to-day basis - I'm not sure I would have them as a favorite to get the CW.

Edited by Myron Falwell
  • Like 1

Just now, CubsFan79 said:

Most of the CBS affiliations by NEXTSTAR were renewed. I could also see WZMQ being sold by their company. 

They renewed after CBS made a power move on them. Make no mistake, WZMQ was a total power move. They proved Perry Sook has a glass jaw and it shattered into a million pieces.

If I'm with the other networks, I'm salivating my chops because this means I can get anything I want just by threatening another WJMN on them.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Myron Falwell said:

They renewed after CBS made a power move on them. Make no mistake, WZMQ was a total power move. They proved Perry Sook has a glass jaw and it shattered into a million pieces.

With WTTV in that group, imagine that Tribune spent all that money to take the affiliation away from WISH...and CBS could have taken it away yesterday and went back to WISH by this morning. This is the poker game they played and lost, AND they also lost most of their staggered contract expirations throughout the country having to accept a bulk agreement.

I'm not the biggest VCBS fan, but even if broadcast television is allegedly 'declining', the networks still have all the leverage against station groups.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, KentBrockman said:

One of my biggest issues with this is the fact that the market is WAY too small to support an independent station with news.

Indeed. That's why they're proud of all their "regional news partners"!

Watch for LOTS of filler from WOOD, WFRV, WGN, and for some reason they think people in the UP care about what's happening in Indy from WTTV!

16 hours ago, Myron Falwell said:

The only thing that comes close to this mess is when ABC yanked the affiliation off WSVI with only 48 hours notice, and the VI cable company was as confused as anyone else.

What's really funny is that, shortly after WSVI lost ABC, Lilly provided a feed of WENY and placed it on a subchannel of WCVI, which Lilly ended up buying three years later (and subsequently put CBS on the main channel).

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, phillynewslover said:

The new schedule has been revealed.

Taking a look at the schedule, there is no Rewind TV programming on WJMN, just Antenna TV programs. ‘80s shows featured on the new lineup like Benson, Silver Spoons and Too Close for Comfort are all sourced from Antenna TV’s schedule; the network retained a much smaller inventory of post-‘70s series on its lineup after most of its other ‘80s and all of its ‘90s series moved over to Rewind when it launched in September.

Edited by T.L. Hughes

25 minutes ago, bgiesing said:

It's not the actual logo, they were making a joke.

The actual logos:

19 News: This is Home

IMG_2258.webp

So, like another CBS station in the Midwest on channel 19 (during its Action News era), WZMQ elected to use separate logos: one for news and one serving as a general purpose logo (for syndicated and network programming, and for promotional use).

Edited by T.L. Hughes
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, T.L. Hughes said:

So, like another CBS station in the Midwest on channel 19 (during its Action News era), WZMQ elected to use separate logos: one for news and one serving as a general purpose logo (for syndicated and network programming, and for promotional use).

WOIO at least planned ahead. This looks like Lilly had to slap it together in 2-3 hours.

• Like 5