NBC O&O Streaming Channels

PhillyWatch

Saw this today- apparently NBC is rolling out local streaming channels from O&O's on Peacock branded as "NBC [location] News", available regardless of where you're watching (much like ViaCBS has all the CBSN channels available on PlutoTV). 

Here's an article from Cord Cutters News, and a brief article/explainer from NBC Philadelphia.

EDIT- jumping around channels, it appears NECN is now free to anyone as part of "NBC Boston News". However, you still need cable authentication to stream on the NECN website. I looks like NECN is being used to fill time around NBC 10 Boston newscasts. Checking out Philly, Chicago, and South Florida, they're all re-running morning/afternoon newscasts. 

Checking back in on this now that it's been a few days. It's currently the 5pm hour on the east coast- the Boston feed is re-running the 4pm show, and both the Philadelphia and South Florida feeds are airing the 11am shows. It's fairly disappointing they're apparently not running newscasts live. 

26 minutes ago, PhillyWatch said:

Checking back in on this now that it's been a few days. It's currently the 5pm hour on the east coast- the Boston feed is re-running the 4pm show, and both the Philadelphia and South Florida feeds are airing the 11am shows. It's fairly disappointing they're apparently not running newscasts live. 

Pretty much defeats the whole point of the streaming channels. What’s the point of having them if they’re just going to replay old newscasts?

7 minutes ago, ddaniels20 said:

Pretty much defeats the whole point of the streaming channels. What’s the point of having them if they’re just going to replay old newscasts?

One can just go to each stations website and watch live.  

I expect it to take a few days for the stations to get their schedules worked out...but this is a lot more convenient way to watch those shows than muddling through the app or as NBC O&O sites often do, throw the streaming link on a story page that's dead within two days. I often find outside Nexstar, NBC O&O pages are the worst to just find the newscast streaming without other video spam in the way.

Hopefully the streaming of breaking news is part of the Peacock channels too, or eventually, a 'watch our newscast at the regular time' promo during the Olympics; not now (there's still value to having a live newscast post-Games which has a defined schedule), but it really needs to become standard operating procedure to have a newscast on at its regular time and able to stream for a sporting event that you know will run really long. Outside of being 'live', there's never been a case where a newscast must be live at 2:07am after a never-ending baseball game or the slowest and most rained-out NASCAR race ever.

23 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

I expect it to take a few days for the stations to get their schedules worked out...but this is a lot more convenient way to watch those shows than muddling through the app or as NBC O&O sites often do, throw the streaming link on a story page that's dead within two days. I often find outside Nexstar, NBC O&O pages are the worst to just find the newscast streaming without other video spam in the way.

I've always been able to get the live link, at the top of the app or webpage to watch News4NY live.

• 2 months later...

Since I cut the cable, most of what I watch seems to be old movies on Roku Live Channel, Tubi, Pluto and Xumo. Peacock is okay, but I don't like their clunky interface so much. Peacock also holds back because of their delusional fantasy that they'll be able to get people to pay for their product.

We'll see if 3.0 has anything to offer, but broadcast TV seems dead to me after I switched to streaming. 

Archived