Jump to content

NBC O&O Streaming Channels


PhillyWatch

Recommended Posts

Saw this today- apparently NBC is rolling out local streaming channels from O&O's on Peacock branded as "NBC [location] News", available regardless of where you're watching (much like ViaCBS has all the CBSN channels available on PlutoTV). 

Here's an article from Cord Cutters News, and a brief article/explainer from NBC Philadelphia.

 

EDIT- jumping around channels, it appears NECN is now free to anyone as part of "NBC Boston News". However, you still need cable authentication to stream on the NECN website. I looks like NECN is being used to fill time around NBC 10 Boston newscasts. Checking out Philly, Chicago, and South Florida, they're all re-running morning/afternoon newscasts. 

Edited by PhillyWatch
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Checking back in on this now that it's been a few days. It's currently the 5pm hour on the east coast- the Boston feed is re-running the 4pm show, and both the Philadelphia and South Florida feeds are airing the 11am shows. It's fairly disappointing they're apparently not running newscasts live. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, PhillyWatch said:

Checking back in on this now that it's been a few days. It's currently the 5pm hour on the east coast- the Boston feed is re-running the 4pm show, and both the Philadelphia and South Florida feeds are airing the 11am shows. It's fairly disappointing they're apparently not running newscasts live. 

Pretty much defeats the whole point of the streaming channels. What’s the point of having them if they’re just going to replay old newscasts?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, ddaniels20 said:

Pretty much defeats the whole point of the streaming channels. What’s the point of having them if they’re just going to replay old newscasts?

One can just go to each stations website and watch live.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I expect it to take a few days for the stations to get their schedules worked out...but this is a lot more convenient way to watch those shows than muddling through the app or as NBC O&O sites often do, throw the streaming link on a story page that's dead within two days. I often find outside Nexstar, NBC O&O pages are the worst to just find the newscast streaming without other video spam in the way.

 

Hopefully the streaming of breaking news is part of the Peacock channels too, or eventually, a 'watch our newscast at the regular time' promo during the Olympics; not now (there's still value to having a live newscast post-Games which has a defined schedule), but it really needs to become standard operating procedure to have a newscast on at its regular time and able to stream for a sporting event that you know will run really long. Outside of being 'live', there's never been a case where a newscast must be live at 2:07am after a never-ending baseball game or the slowest and most rained-out NASCAR race ever.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

I expect it to take a few days for the stations to get their schedules worked out...but this is a lot more convenient way to watch those shows than muddling through the app or as NBC O&O sites often do, throw the streaming link on a story page that's dead within two days. I often find outside Nexstar, NBC O&O pages are the worst to just find the newscast streaming without other video spam in the way.

 

 

I've always been able to get the live link, at the top of the app or webpage to watch News4NY live.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Since I cut the cable, most of what I watch seems to be old movies on Roku Live Channel, Tubi, Pluto and Xumo. Peacock is okay, but I don't like their clunky interface so much. Peacock also holds back because of their delusional fantasy that they'll be able to get people to pay for their product.

 

We'll see if 3.0 has anything to offer, but broadcast TV seems dead to me after I switched to streaming. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using TVNewsTalk you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.