CBS O&Os Adopting "First Alert Weather" Branding

Georgie56

18 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

With KTVT, WJZ, WBBM, and now KCNC all switching to First Alert Weather, I have cause to believe that this is a groupwide mandate (with the exceptions of Los Angeles, Philadelphia, Boston, and Miami).

Some moronic consultant came up with this.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have a hard time seeing WCCO adopting this. They've been "WCCO Weather" since 2005-ish. and overall, the Minneapolis-St. Paul market has avoided these kind of brandings. KSTP is "Minnesota's Weather Authority" but everyone else is *station name* weather. No one even takes the WeatherRate bait.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, GodfreyGR said:

I have a hard time seeing WCCO adopting this. They've been "WCCO Weather" since 2005-ish. 

I have the same feeling about KDKA. I wouldn't be surprised if they do adopt this brand honestly, but I'm not sure how it would look or sound. They've been branded as either KDKA Weather or KDKA Local Weather since at least 05 or 06, and while the branding is simple, I've always felt like they needed a stronger branding for weather. And I don't know if First Alert Weather is the right brand for KD. 

49 minutes ago, GodfreyGR said:

No one even takes the WeatherRate bait.

I thought the same thing about the Pittsburgh stations, but WTAE took the bait sometime last year. I'm not sure when exactly. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GodfreyGR said:

I have a hard time seeing WCCO adopting this. They've been "WCCO Weather" since 2005-ish. and overall, the Minneapolis-St. Paul market has avoided these kind of brandings. KSTP is "Minnesota's Weather Authority" but everyone else is *station name* weather. No one even takes the WeatherRate bait.

Let's be honest, it's WeatheBait. Let's call it what it is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, tjt24 said:

but I'm not sure how it would look or sound

I don't know nearly as much about the Pitt market as you do, but it seems similar enough to the point where corporate mandates often get bucked... And as long as they have the ratings to back up noncompliance, CBS would be dumb to make them fall in line. Although for WCCO, I never understood why they dumped "4 Warn Storm Team", it was a good play on the channel number (and an answer to KSTP's "SkyMax5")

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Spintech33 said:

Which consultant thought it was great to rip off some of the NBC O&O's First Alert Weather SMH.

Same folks who tell stations to brand every fire/crash/disturbance as Breaking News.

Can move this thought to speculation or breakroom to keep some people happy, but when's the last time a consultant had an original idea?

• Thanks 1

On 1/22/2022 at 12:24 AM, panewswatcher69 said:

On Monday, January 17th, 2022, KDKA Pittsburgh debuted a new floor to ceiling Giant Weather Wall.

They actually debuted it during their winter storm coverage the night before, but it is a nice addition to the set. It's right next to the weather center where a touchscreen monitor once was. 

Edited by tjt24
  • Like 1

On 1/18/2022 at 3:15 PM, Georgie56 said:

With KTVT, WJZ, WBBM, and now KCNC all switching to First Alert Weather, I have cause to believe that this is a groupwide mandate (with the exceptions of Los Angeles, Philadelphia, Boston, and Miami).

Finally an end to the dueling "weather experts" thing between KTVT ("Texas weather experts") and KXAS ("weather experts").

Gray holds a trademark on the “First Alert Weather” branding.  It was Raycom’s brand and Gray inherited it and that’s why so many Gray stations have switched to using it. 

I can’t think of a Gray/CBS overlap market but CBS must be paying Gray for this privilege. 

https://trademarks.justia.com/789/44/first-alert-78944371.html

Edited by appleachian
  • Like 1

On 1/18/2022 at 5:45 PM, GodfreyGR said:

Just for understanding purposes, why has the Minn/St. Paul market avoided using these kind of brandings?