WRCB ditches longtime logo, rebrands as "Local 3 News"

WRCB in Chattanooga has dropped their longtime brand of Channel 3 Eyewitness News in favor of Local 3 News. Their new logo seems ripped off of Morgan Murphy station logos.

They also registered the domain local3news.com. It looks like they ditched Frankly/WorldNow in favor of TownNews BLOX.

15 minutes ago, CarolinaWxGuy said:

This quote right here makes me think the branding will eventually come to KTVN.

While the media industry has consolidated and is now mostly controlled by large corporations, Local 3 continues to be owned and operated by a small family-owned broadcasting company, Sarkes Tarzian, Inc. The station remains focused on making local decisions for local viewers. A new name, logo, graphics, and website mark a recommitment of putting local first in news, promotions, sales, and programming.

“The new brand serves as a single identity for all the divisions of Local 3,” says Pam Teague, Chief Operating Officer for Sarkes Tarzian, Inc. “This is a new look, but it’s the same station viewers in the Tennessee Valley trust. We are committed to maintaining our stellar reputation as a local source of information, entertainment, and advertising as Local 3.”

16 minutes ago, Mrtraveler01 said:

While the media industry has consolidated and is now mostly controlled by large corporations, Local 3 continues to be owned and operated by a small family-owned broadcasting company, Sarkes Tarzian, Inc. The station remains focused on making local decisions for local viewers. A new name, logo, graphics, and website mark a recommitment of putting local first in news, promotions, sales, and programming.

“The new brand serves as a single identity for all the divisions of Local 3,” says Pam Teague, Chief Operating Officer for Sarkes Tarzian, Inc. “This is a new look, but it’s the same station viewers in the Tennessee Valley trust. We are committed to maintaining our stellar reputation as a local source of information, entertainment, and advertising as Local 3.”

It seems like a smart marketing move... With Gray, Nexstar, etc. getting larger by the year, and pushes to support local stores/businesses even more lately, it would make sense to position your station as such if you can!

27 minutes ago, who?cares said:

Major improvement over the previous package. 

Agreed. My only complaint is the tacky weather graphics they have going on. But the main graphics look amazing. 

The previous package was them mixing Tegna with the previous WBNS package and it was tacky. 

This looks way better on them. 

1 hour ago, Mrtraveler01 said:

That is until WRCB gets sold off...although I'm sure they have received lots of offers.

30 minutes ago, GoldenShine9 said:

That is until WRCB gets sold off...although I'm sure they have received lots of offers.

Like Morgan Murphy Media. 😂

14 minutes ago, H-Town TV Fan said:

It's more like Jeff Rechner to me.

Not him either.

3 minutes ago, sanewsguy said:

It’s neither him nor Gordon, that’s Steve Davis from SpotVoice (overused company because they are cheap).

Yep! And he describes himself as youthful! Charight!

Glenn Hansen and Max McGill are much better (I'm partial because I know Max).

Still, I think WRCB was (unless I'm forgetting one, don't shoot) the last one to really use Doc Morgan religiously in opens and promos. He was their main voice for like 30 years, I really do not agree with the direction on dumping him since Doc still sounds damn good.

13 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

I've seen worse packages, like anything from Linear Drift. Literally anything. Rey's ramping is awful.

Eh Rey is good at what he does as a motion graphics designer... In like 2011. He still hasn't found his groove in the world of flat graphics. Also working for Nexstar corporate directly now with very little in the way of resources for the entire company (he has like one really small room of a few staff in Nashville working for over 200 TV stations), I can understand his work starting to diminish in quality (SEE: KOIN).

The biggest blunder in the GFX industry was the hostile takeover of Giant Octopus by the company that brings you FX Group sets. The principal GO designers left and took their work with them. Anyone remember Blue Helio pre-Linear Drift? Rey Rodriguez was only one part of what was the amazing Giant Octopus, and without the other parts you get Linear Drift. Trying to be Giant Octopus, but not quite there.

The new resurrected GO on the other hand seems to be doing quite well. I feel like this might have been designed by them, it feels too good to be an in-house job.

11 hours ago, KentBrockman said:

Still, I think WRCB was (unless I'm forgetting one, don't shoot) the last one to really use Doc Morgan religiously in opens and promos. He was their main voice for like 30 years, I really do not agree with the direction on dumping him since Doc still sounds damn good.

Eh Rey is good at what he does as a motion graphics designer... In like 2011. He still hasn't found his groove in the world of flat graphics. Also working for Nexstar corporate directly now with very little in the way of resources for the entire company (he has like one really small room of a few staff in Nashville working for over 200 TV stations), I can understand his work starting to diminish in quality (SEE: KOIN).

The biggest blunder in the GFX industry was the hostile takeover of Giant Octopus by the company that brings you FX Group sets. The principal GO designers left and took their work with them. Anyone remember Blue Helio pre-Linear Drift? Rey Rodriguez was only one part of what was the amazing Giant Octopus, and without the other parts you get Linear Drift. Trying to be Giant Octopus, but not quite there.

The new resurrected GO on the other hand seems to be doing quite well. I feel like this might have been designed by them, it feels too good to be an in-house job.

Ruth Dial was another part.

Ruth signed a contract to rebuild GO, but has since left. They are not doing well.  Except for one package that Ruth designed while she was on contract 5 years ago, GO hasn't seen any new work or clients. In fact, check the copyright date of the website.

image.png.97067bc8a0ccd3b31b581bc76ce25252.png

Lastly, this was designed by Hothaus.

On 1/15/2022 at 9:38 PM, Mrtraveler01 said:

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't Gray TV own a partial stake in "Sarkes Tarzian, Inc.". I know it's not controlling, but still. Very interesting. 

Archived