WNJU Moving in with WNBC at 30 Rock (Fall 2023)

B2r4a6n

I Noticed in the middle of this article about November sweeps  (https://www.nexttv.com/features/local-news-start-spreading-the-news-and-theres-lots-of-it) this line...(New York stations are hustling to get ahead in the busy market. WNBC and WNJU are moving in together. WNBC is in Rockefeller Center and WNJU in Fort Lee, New Jersey. They will share the second floor of 30 Rockefeller Center starting in fall 2023, with the massive workspace extending from 49th Street to 50th Street. It represents the final duopoly in the NBC group to co-locate. “We are excited about the collaboration that will happen between departments and department heads,” said Schwarz, who noted that WNJU will maintain a presence in New Jersey. “I’m excited to be next to Eric every day." Lerner mentioned a “gorgeous, state-of-the-art, open news operation. It’s two television stations coming together in a way that we’ve never been able to before. Both stations really deserve a new home.”) 

...not sure if anyone has posted about it on here yet but I wonder if this means they are building new studios, newsrooms, etc on the 2nd floor? Combined? Studios with windows? What's on the 2nd floor now? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

I wonder what will happen to the Fort Lee studios.  They were once CNBC and America's Talking which became MSNBC before T47 moved in after CNBC moved up Rt. 9W to Englewood Cliffs.  I believe it is WNBCs NJ Bureau and where some news gathering trucks are parked.  Is there any studio space left at 30 Rock?

15 minutes ago, NowBergen said:

I wonder what will happen to the Fort Lee studios.  They were once CNBC and America's Talking which became MSNBC before T47 moved in after CNBC moved up Rt. 9W to Englewood Cliffs.  I believe it is WNBCs NJ Bureau and where some news gathering trucks are parked.  Is there any studio space left at 30 Rock?

MLB Network is in that space. Wiki says so is NHL Network.

Unless I'm mistaken and NBC used two NJ locations.

Edited by mightynine
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, mightynine said:

MLB Network is in that space. Wiki says so is NHL Network, unless I'm mistaken and they had two NJ locations.

Correct, MLB Network & NHL Network share the building. You’ll occasionally see them share each other’s studios during special broadcasts like the draft or all star games. 

So where will WNJU go? If they are going on the 3rd floor they only have 2 options. Studio 3B (formerly NN) or the old Studio 3E space but it appears to be storage. 

7E1C4E21-5AFB-44E7-B236-6658135510C9.png

8 minutes ago, mightynine said:

MLBN/NHL is in the former MSNBC space in Secaucus in the Hartz Mountain development, where the WWOR studios once were. Fort Lee is up the road by the George Washington Bridge.

6A is also a possibility for WNJU (the old Megan Kelly space), which has been used by The Tonight Show and its Peacock kid's version since then.

Edited by mrschimpf
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, mightynine said:

MLBN is at the  former MSNBC studio in Secaucus.  This is the space on Lemoine Ave in Fort Lee that is currently T47 and formerly CNBC and for a short time Americas Talking before transitioning to MSNBC.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/13/2022 at 5:59 PM, mightynine said:

NBC uses/used three locations: the current CNBC world HQ in Englewood Cliffs, CNBC's former space in Fort Lee that is where WNJU/ WNBC's NJ bureau is based and the former MSNBC studios in Secaucus that now houses MLB/NHL Networks.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Where would you all put WNBC's new set in comparison to the other NYC station's sets? I'd put it at third place in the market. 

WCBS is the best followed by WPIX, WNBC, WNYW, a ring light with a tripod in my living room, then WABC as the bottom of the barrel.  Not to fond of the updates to WCBS though. 

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, MediaZone4K said:

WCBS is the best followed by WPIX, WNBC, WNYW, a ring light with a tripod in my living room, then WABC as the bottom of the barrel. 

Accounting for NY1 they'd probably be comfortably tied with WPIX; it's a pretty good set.

• Like 1

Im curious to what the WNJU side of it will look like, but Telemundo 47's current set looks pretty good. My major gripe with WNBC's new set is that's it's barren --- a box of video walls with no physical trinkets.

Not to stray too far from NBC but I came a cross WPIX from the 2000s, and it dawned on me how I miss layered, physical, tv sitcom like sets for the news. 

wpix_1.jpgwpix_3.jpgwpix_2.jpg

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 1