Jump to content

Nexstar buying The CW?


The Frog

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

That’s when a lot of stations run newscasts produced by CBS, NBC and ABC stations.

Not to mention that there are large market CW affiliates that run newscasts produced by independents (WLVI) or have a standalone news operation (WPIX). WPIX is operated by Nexstar, so NewsNation at 10pm is a no-go if they want to compete with Fox affilates running newscasts at the same time.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m not intending to go into Speculatron mode, but what’s to say that Nexstar is the only one vying for the CW?

 

Look at the combined footprint for Scripps and Inyo. The CW+ can be a turnkey Katz network with Newsy supplying news.

Edited by Myron Falwell
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

Seeing that Nexstar owns FOX-CW duopolies in Denver (CW2 KWGN and FOX31 KWGN) and Colorado Springs/Pueblo (FOX21 KXRM and CW57 KXTU), how is this gonna work? That is, the idea of two Colorado affiliates being CW O&Os (KWGN and KXTU)?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, newsteam13 said:

Seeing that Nexstar owns FOX-CW duopolies in Denver (CW2 KWGN and FOX31 KWGN) and Colorado Springs/Pueblo (FOX21 KXRM and CW57 KXTU), how is this gonna work? That is, the idea of two Colorado affiliates being CW O&Os (KWGN and KXTU)?

 

I don't think I understand your question.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

 

I don't think I understand your question.

 

Nexstar buying the CW? Possibly making CW O&Os out of some stations like KWGN and KXTU?

 

Nexstar already owning its CW-FOX duopolies in Colorado (KWGN/KDVR Denver and KXRM/KXTU Colorado Springs)?

 

How does this conflict with one another? Do you see where I'm getting at?

Edited by newsteam13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, newsteam13 said:

 

Nexstar buying the CW? Possibly making CW O&Os out of some stations like KWGN and KXTU?

 

Nexstar already owning its CW-FOX duopolies in Colorado (KWGN/KDVR Denver and KXRM/KXTU Colorado Springs)?

 

How does this conflict with one another? Do you see where I'm getting at?

 

It doesn't conflict. I don't know why it would.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd love to know what Nexstar is thinking in Philly. Does CW primetime out-rate their syndicated primetime lineup on WPHL to warrant them gunning for the affiliation? How soon could they pull the affiliation from WPSG? CBS would then be in familiar territory with a CBS/Independent duopoly in Philly as they have in NYC and LA. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, The Frog said:

According to Deadline, the pending sale to Nexstar is expected to close in the next few weeks.

 

The CW also cleaned house earlier this week in preparation of the sale.

If Nexstar does prevail in getting the CW, it's almost like they could be trying to turn the CW into what Tribune tried to do with WGN America, import some cheaper programming.

 

How long are the CBS O&O's (and stations like WCIU) tied into CW?  And what would CBS do with their O&Os should they lose the CW?  It may be a nice place to put their CBSN local streams OTA for at least part of the day, since many markets are duopolies to begin with.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

How long are the CBS O&O's (and stations like WCIU) tied into CW?  And what would CBS do with their O&Os should they lose the CW?  It may be a nice place to put their CBSN local streams OTA for at least part of the day, since many markets are duopolies to begin with.

Perhaps they make all there CW affiliates successful independents like LCAL and WLNY.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, PhillyWatch said:

I'd love to know what Nexstar is thinking in Philly. Does CW primetime out-rate their syndicated primetime lineup on WPHL to warrant them gunning for the affiliation? How soon could they pull the affiliation from WPSG? CBS would then be in familiar territory with a CBS/Independent duopoly in Philly as they have in NYC and LA. 

And I know Big Bang Theory reruns on WMYT from 9-10 probably outrate the CW programming on WCCB. And maybe Modern Family from 8-9. 

Edited by Nelson R.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wonder how quickly Nexstar kills off The CW?  Or tries to make it NewsNation+.      Something tells me this is going to go south fast if the sale goes through.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Gavin M. said:

Perhaps they make all there CW affiliates successful independents like LCAL and WLNY.

 

That is most likely. I think Nexstar will take the CW affiliation in all the markets where it isn't on one of their stations and place it on a subchannel or secondary channel as soon as they can. I think NewsNation+ might be an additional subchannel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, GoldenShine9 said:

 

That is most likely. I think Nexstar will take the CW affiliation in all the markets where it isn't on one of their stations and place it on a subchannel or secondary channel as soon as they can.

At least for Indianapolis, WISH-TV will likely be precluded from that, as you know Circle City would immediately argue to the FCC that Nexstar would conspire to make them as a formerly-owned station a non-factor in the market and that nobody carries (or really watches) WTTV/K-DT2. And internally there will be WGN pushback, though sadly the personnel that would've been able to moot the move will be told by Perry they have no choice (even if the current primetime schedule of sitcom reruns is otherwise ignored by management and the public).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, mrschimpf said:

At least for Indianapolis, WISH-TV will likely be precluded from that, as you know Circle City would immediately argue to the FCC that Nexstar would conspire to make them as a formerly-owned station a non-factor in the market and that nobody carries (or really watches) WTTV/K-DT2. And internally there will be WGN pushback, though sadly the personnel that would've been able to moot the move will be told by Perry they have no choice (even if the current primetime schedule of sitcom reruns is otherwise ignored by management and the public).

 

They would likely have to come with some other agreement - give up one of the networks already in place through an affiliation switch?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No way. It's barely a network and they own the programming. They can do with it whatever they want.

 

That said, Antenna TV is still on Sinclair here and the guy that owns Circle City used to work for Nexstar didn't he?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, DENDude said:

I wonder how quickly Nexstar kills off The CW?  Or tries to make it NewsNation+.      Something tells me this is going to go south fast if the sale goes through.

 

Exactly. NewsNation+. Like that will do anything except sink Nexstar faster.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tribune threw a bone to Lin/Media General Wish-TV in Indy trading The CW to them Wish was going to be Indie after losing CBS in Jan of 2015. I believe that Wish will become a CW. CBS will keep The CW in markets they have duopolies in just my opinion. Maybe Nexstar does do switches in markets they don't have The CW that don't have a big 4 network  that are duopolies, in West Michigan I could see Nexstar and Sinclair doing a switch as Sinclair owns The CW in West Michigan Nexstar owns MyNet TV WXSP. It could come down to the deals in the contracts and how many years are left maybe if it is only a year they wait it out. Sorry if it now becoming a list and speculation which I already said that in the speculation forum. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, PhillyWatch said:

I'd love to know what Nexstar is thinking in Philly. Does CW primetime out-rate their syndicated primetime lineup on WPHL to warrant them gunning for the affiliation? How soon could they pull the affiliation from WPSG? CBS would then be in familiar territory with a CBS/Independent duopoly in Philly as they have in NYC and LA. 

 

15 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

If Nexstar does prevail in getting the CW, it's almost like they could be trying to turn the CW into what Tribune tried to do with WGN America, import some cheaper programming.

 

How long are the CBS O&O's (and stations like WCIU) tied into CW?  And what would CBS do with their O&Os should they lose the CW?  It may be a nice place to put their CBSN local streams OTA for at least part of the day, since many markets are duopolies to begin with.

 

13 hours ago, Gavin M. said:

Perhaps they make all there CW affiliates successful independents like LCAL and WLNY.

If the affiliations get pulled I could see them doing what they’ve done with their duopoly station in Miami, affiliate with MNTV. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

 

 

If the affiliations get pulled I could see them doing what they’ve done with their duopoly station in Miami, affiliate with MNTV. 

More likely than not, CBS will keep the affiliations and see what happens. Sunbeam or Scripps, I'm not so sure. What about Sinclair (WLFL or WWHO)?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, TheSpeedKing said:

What about Sinclair (WLFL or WWHO)?

With WLFL I guess they would get the MyNet from WRDC and CW would go to WNCN 11.2. But a MyNet/independent duopoly would not really be ideal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/15/2022 at 6:10 AM, PhillyWatch said:

I'd love to know what Nexstar is thinking in Philly. Does CW primetime out-rate their syndicated primetime lineup on WPHL to warrant them gunning for the affiliation? How soon could they pull the affiliation from WPSG? CBS would then be in familiar territory with a CBS/Independent duopoly in Philly as they have in NYC and LA. 

 

10 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

 

 

If the affiliations get pulled I could see them doing what they’ve done with their duopoly station in Miami, affiliate with MNTV. 

Just a follow up, DFW also has a similar set up as they have an Indy station too.
 

I wonder if the 10pm news at WPHL becomes an in-house operation, and if so, what happens to Gray Hall?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

And I know Big Bang Theory reruns on WMYT from 9-10 probably outrate the CW programming on WCCB. And maybe Modern Family from 8-9. 

So in Charlotte would Nexstar move CW to WMYT-55.1 and let WCCB pick up MyTV?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using TVNewsTalk you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.